[10/25] Ruby Sanctum - Halion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10/25] Ruby Sanctum - Halion

Postby Meloree » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:05 am

We used 3 tanks - one to grab up all the little adds, one to tank Halion (fire) and the big adds, and one to tank Halion (twilight).

I was going to do a writeup on our strat for the fight at some point, but realistically speaking, it's very simple. The whole fight is really contained in P3.

You need to balance fire realm DPS such that you can kill all the little fire adds, kill the big fire add, and keep up with twilight realm's DPS. With clever positioning, you can include Halion in the AoE, even while your Halion tank tanks a big add - this helps keep your DPS a little more even, but you can expect a seesaw between 40% and 60% corporeality if you're balanced correctly, with nobody having to stop or slow-down. Splitting heroism between the two realms is also handy for catching up if something goes wrong.

We used 3 tanks, 4 healers, and 10 dps in fire realm, and 3 healers, 1 tank, and 5 dps in twilight. Our raid comp wasn't really well balanced, we had some key absences, even on the Monday, due to lingering July 4th activities, but the fight isn't actually all that hard - it just requires good execution and good awareness. The DPS overhead required to make progress isn't overly onerous, but you do want to try and balance DPS such that neither realm ever has to slow down. If this fight actually has an enrage timer, it's not really in play.

At least the way we ended up doing it, this fight is very much subject to the domino effect. When one person screws up, when one thing goes wrong, things go downhill very quickly - so it's important to stress execution and careful play.

Other quick tips:
- Large Fire adds aren't tauntable.
- If the Fire realm tank stays outside during P2, his threat won't reset, making P3 completely threat-insensitive on Halion. This helps with Large Fire adds (Flaming Infernal, I think? Something like that).
- Holy Priests with Body and Soul are OP - getting people to the wall faster is good.
- Paladins (Hand of Freedom) are also OP in Twilight Realm.
- There's any number of safe ways to position Halion in Physical Realm - pick the one that works for you. We chose to tank him in the middle and have our two "meteor spots" be max melee range at either side. This kept the large add coming in at a predictable angle off on one side of Halion, so we could keep all the little adds close enough to Halion to include Halion in the AoE.
- Physical Realm we had our boomkin and mages (3), and unholy DK (1) doing full AoE on little guys, we had a rogue (1) tricks/fanning all the little guys onto their tank. We had our afflock (1) and shadow priests (2) multidotting Halion and the large fire add, preferring DPS into Halion, and we had our hunters (2) misdirecting the large fire add onto me, and sticking on it until it died. This had all adds dying a few seconds before the next meteor, and kept DPS well aligned between the two realms. Our split doesn't sound overly intuitive, but we did it that way because SPs and Warlocks, despite having great AoE, are phenomenal "double-target" dps with multidotting, wheras mages/boomkin in that role would be pure single-target.

Either way, the fight isn't tuned overly aggressively, you can get away with a lot in strat and comp, so long as you don't start shedding people. Any DPS you lose is essentially a double-penalty in twilight realm, and potentially much more than that in fire realm, depending on how close to the dps overhead you are. If you lose a healer, you're going to be in serious trouble as well.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:10 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zevzPlao ... r_embedded

Tankspot's guide is relatively good. Just close your eyes when it cuts to the paladin tank's PoV.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Amaranthea » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:59 pm

Are you kidding? That video is amazing and everyone should watch it. Now you have the ultimate in video evidence the next time someone tries to claim that players with lots of heroic raid achievements can't get carried to them.
Amaranthea

Postby Treck » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:59 pm

I saw the movie a few days ago (after our kill so i didnt have anything to get from watching the movie), and i was laughing that he was clicking.
Not untill now i really watched it.
That paladin is hardly using 1/3rd of all his GCDs.
Those he does use he clicks, hes clicking CDs (altho the Sindrigosa trinket is bound to "1"!).
Atleast he is doing the most retardedly easy thing you could ever do in that place.
I wonder how someone thinks when they fraps while performing that bad, then uploading it anywhere, and tankspot?
im not sure but they are prolly the most viewed by wow players.

But in all honesty, a tank can get away with a lot without people noticing.
Its not like anyone really watches the dmgmeter if a tank did good damage or not.
DPS is so high on threat that tanks need help anyway, some tanks need more help than others.
I dont see how any guild could keep him after seeing that movie tho, unless he brings some amazingly incredible other stuff to the raid that you cannot see on the video.
Treck

Postby Levantine » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:15 pm

Well there's the proof that there's no encounter in the game that's too hard to carry bads through. :( I feel sorry for his dps.
Levantine

Postby pfunkmort » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:03 pm

his guild is split about it honestly. half of them are sort of anxious about the negative attention, half of them are defiantly defensive of someone who's been their MT since sunwell (at least from what I gather). ...there's a whole 5 page thread on the doomhammer forum about all this (including xav trolling at his best, in video form)....but honestly, from what I've heard from his guildies, he's not terrible. so, I dunno.
[2.Trade][Alessan]: Is WoW becoming an online kart racer in 4.0.3?
[2.Trade][Tehron]: Yes
pfunkmort

Postby Levantine » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:45 am

Well that video says exactly the opposite.
Levantine

Postby Meloree » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:54 am

Hence the "close your eyes" part. There's could well be something else going on - the video remains useful. No point in trashtalking the poor guy in yet another venue.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:09 am

We cant see or hear everything that is going on there.
And he is placed so that what he is doing he basicly CANT do it wrong, he can do it better, but its pretty hard failing at standing still autohitting the boss.
For all we know, he might actually be a really good tank.
Doesnt change the fact that he has a LOT to improove on.
And if he is as "great" as some in their guild say, he can only improove by learning to eather use his keyboard, or atleast start clicking in e decent manner. (soo much wasted potential)
Last edited by Treck on Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Treck

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:23 am

I really need to watch this video now.

Edit: omg, I can't watch anymore. That's horrible.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:29 am

holy shit CLICKER

in a TOP GUILD
Invisusira

Postby Treck » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:41 am

Not just a clicker, a very very very terrible one at that.
Beeing "just" a clicker i could live with.
But using half of your GCDs? doesnt matter if you klick or use your keyboard, still terrible eather way.
Treck

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:44 am

I know we shouldn't sit here and rag on the guy, but that kind of playstyle leads to a moderate sense of frustration for people on a board such as this. There are loads of people here, in possibly terrible guilds, that would play far better than this guy. I can't see how he wouldn't be threat capping his dps with that kind of playing.

To see that, and know that you could definitely be doing better than him is pretty bracing.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby baleogthefierce » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:00 am

Nikachelle wrote:I know we shouldn't sit here and rag on the guy, but that kind of playstyle leads to a moderate sense of frustration for people on a board such as this. There are loads of people here, in possibly terrible guilds, that would play far better than this guy. I can't see how he wouldn't be threat capping his dps with that kind of playing.

To see that, and know that you could definitely be doing better than him is pretty bracing.

Yeah some of my DPS are generally pretty close to threat capped when I'm in full threat gear, DPS trinkets, 3/3 Crusade, etc. and spamming my keybinds for 969 like there's no tomorrow. That's including tricks/MD on cooldown >_<

They must have a killer Hand of Salvation rotation going or something.
baleogthefierce

Postby Treck » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:36 am

Or just tricks/MD rotation going on 24/7.
Treck

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel