[10/25] Ruby Sanctum - Halion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10/25] Ruby Sanctum - Halion

Postby Senador » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:16 am

On the Shaman thing; I have been hearing initial reports that Consumptions initial cast might be eaten by a Grounding Totem.

We didn't mess with the totems, but did anyone check it out or can confirm? If it's true, it seems like something that slipped through PTR than an intended way to handle the mechanic.
Senador

Postby Belloc » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:03 pm

Boèndal wrote:So what's the trick in bringing shamans to this encounter? 2 out of 5 guilds who have killed 25 hm mention it on their homepage? We've been with 2 alt 10 groups there yesterday and he went down after a couple of tries for both groups (normal mode).

Grounding totems completely negate an element of the fight. I cannot recall which.
Belloc

Postby exiledknight » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:26 pm

Has anyone found a reliable way to get all the small adds in p1? Or do we have to solely live with spam taunts? We spent the majority of our raid night wiping to the first cutter phase but our other tank was saying what a hard time he was having with the adds. I was on Hallion so I didn't really get much of a chance to play with the adds. Also 2 or 3 tanks? Our RL wanted us to go 3, one on hallion, one one the inferno which ranged burned down, and one on the embers which melee handled.
exiledknight

Postby baleogthefierce » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:08 pm

Grounding Totem did nothing to alter the fight mechanics that we were able to detect on our 10-man heroic kill tonight.

Haven't looked at 25-man heroic yet, so it is possible that grounding totems only work on 25-man OR that we missed something about range/positioning that is required to take advantage of Grounding Totem.
baleogthefierce

Postby Gracerath » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:41 am

Spent 2.5 hours sucking on this fight in 25. Ok, not entirely the fight itself but including trash. (lol wat is cc?) Apparently half the raid forgot how dragons work (don't get cleaved or breathed on, derp) and can't avoid a slowly moving beam that is on a predictable timer. Also watching ranged just stand at the meteor landing point made me all sorts of sad. Apparently we are also terrible at dispelling the debuff. We either let it stack to 8 or they dispel it so fast the melee didn't have a chance to run out.

/blowsbrainsout.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Boèndal » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:32 am

Had a 25 alt kill on normal mode yesterday and the "void zone" debuff is not (no longer?) effected by grounding totems. So it's been fixed or in heroic mode something works in another way? Having more than one shaman for heroism on both sides is not a problem for our raid but I believe this was not the main thing to mention it on progression guilds frontpages^^
Boèndal

Postby Solitatis » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:51 am

got it to 19% on 10 man HC and two shottet it in 25 man normal.

25 man:
We used melee in the shadow realm and ranged in the physical realm
warrior tank in shadow, me pally tank in physical.

3 healers in shadow (due to the constant raid damage), and 2 in physical.

10 man (hc):
same tanking set up

2 healers in shadow, 1 healer in physical, and roughly same dps setup. 2 melee and 1 hunter in shadow, and 1 mage and 1 warlock is physical.

Reason we just had the spell casters out is you max their dps so they dont have to move from time to time.

The hunter jumped back and forth between realms depending on where the extra damage was needed.
Thought without action is a daydream.
Action without thought is a nightmare.
Solitatis

Postby baleogthefierce » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:01 am

It's worth mentioning that for 10-man heroic it is very helpful to have a strong mobile healer in the corporeal realm OR a dps who can do some spot healing in short order. When your healer gets debuffed, that is also a fantastic time for raid cooldowns and/or personal cooldowns.

If your lone healer in the corporeal realm gets debuffed and you don't have a plan, it is pretty easy to drop the tank thanks to Ruby Radiance. If they aren't a strong mobile healer, it's easy for them to die as well.
baleogthefierce

Postby Galo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:06 am

exiledknight wrote:Has anyone found a reliable way to get all the small adds in p1? Or do we have to solely live with spam taunts? We spent the majority of our raid night wiping to the first cutter phase but our other tank was saying what a hard time he was having with the adds. I was on Hallion so I didn't really get much of a chance to play with the adds. Also 2 or 3 tanks? Our RL wanted us to go 3, one on hallion, one one the inferno which ranged burned down, and one on the embers which melee handled.

Lets the raid stack up on each other on one side of the boss, move through him to the other side when meteor lands, keep stacked, and just aoe the adds down. You can do this fight with 2 tanks really, no need for a 3rd tank for the small adds, they die extremely fast.
Galo

Postby superworm » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:11 am

We spent about 2 hours on Halion 10m HM yesterday and has progressed to P3 before dismissed. Phase 1 is just cake once your members get used to running away with debuffs. P2 is much harder with 4 orbs and void zones. Your raiders must figure out a comfortable way for them to observe the motion of the orbs.
I have been considering an easier method to deal with p2. Let's say we assign a raid member Tom who is really good at dodging laser beams. Then we ask all the other raid members (except the tank) to make a macro like /follow Tom. When laser beams is about to shoot, all the raid members except the tank will press the macro and continue to do their appropriate work, unless they are marked with the debuff. This way only one player will have to pay a lot of attention to the orbs, thus improving the performance of the rest of the group. It could also greatly reduce the chance that someone dying to the beams. Maybe we will try this strategy next time.

One thing I want to confirm is whether Hand of Freedom works on the void zone snare effects. I watched the Paragon 25HM kill video and noticed they were using HoF on marked people in the shadow realm. However when we are doing 10m HM, our paladins reported that HoF doesn't work. How do you people fare with HoF?

Another issue is whether we should try to take advantage of the corporeality. As the physical realm is much less dangerous than the shadow realm, I have been considering that maybe we should keep more dps in shadow realm than in physical realm, to reduce the healing pressure in shadow realm, as dps doesn't seem to be an issue. I don't know whether Halion has an enrage timer. Anyway on our dps level we are pushing Halion into p2 after 2 meteors and p3 after 2 set of laser beams, which seems to be more than enough.
Last edited by superworm on Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
superworm

Postby Hokahey » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:24 am

Belloc wrote:
Boèndal wrote:So what's the trick in bringing shamans to this encounter? 2 out of 5 guilds who have killed 25 hm mention it on their homepage? We've been with 2 alt 10 groups there yesterday and he went down after a couple of tries for both groups (normal mode).

Grounding totems completely negate an element of the fight. I cannot recall which.

Grounding Totems were doing what they were designed to do in the first place, absorbing 1, single-target magical attack against a party member. There are 2 abilities like that the boss uses in the fight, which are also the primary raid killing mechanics throughout the encounter.

My understanding was that Blizzard hotfixed it after certain people got their world firsts.
Hokahey

Postby Amirya » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:46 pm

Went to smack Halion again yesterday, still stuck in p2.

Part of the problem is I have some people who are entirely dependent on DBM, and I had to repeat 8 times, "I just downloaded the new DBM, Halion does not exist on it yet."

Then someone would ask if DBM would pop a big blue warning on their screen.

/headdesk

What is the length of time Combustion/Consumption will remain on a player before dropping? Combustion seemed to get somewhat under control, but when I was rotating during Lazerbeem of Doooom, I kept having to skitter through void circles dropped where melee had had the Consumption. I don't know if I have overeager cleansers, or the time is really just that short.

And any tips for ranged/healers? I did tell them that I really don't need them hugging my arse, and to back up to the barrier, so they didn't get cleaved/tailswiped, or hit by Lazerbeems because it's a much tighter rotation inside than out.

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Rhiannon » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:59 pm

Amirya wrote:Went to smack Halion again yesterday, still stuck in p2.

Part of the problem is I have some people who are entirely dependent on DBM, and I had to repeat 8 times, "I just downloaded the new DBM, Halion does not exist on it yet."

Then someone would ask if DBM would pop a big blue warning on their screen.

/headdesk

What is the length of time Combustion/Consumption will remain on a player before dropping? Combustion seemed to get somewhat under control, but when I was rotating during Lazerbeem of Doooom, I kept having to skitter through void circles dropped where melee had had the Consumption. I don't know if I have overeager cleansers, or the time is really just that short.

And any tips for ranged/healers? I did tell them that I really don't need them hugging my arse, and to back up to the barrier, so they didn't get cleaved/tailswiped, or hit by Lazerbeems because it's a much tighter rotation inside than out.

Latest DBM alpha does have some timers for Halion, latest official release doesn't. Ofc it's at your own risk whether you want to use alpha.

Actually, checked dbm site to get a link to the alpha and there's a new official release with Halion included:

http://www.deadlybossmods.com/download.php?id=1 - official
http://www.deadlybossmods.com/download.php?id=6 - alpha

The marks of combustion/consumption will stack for a significant amount of time before expiring, if they do at all. I know I've seen marks go to 11 or more without expiring of their own accord, so you have trigger happy dispellers.

Whole raid should be along the dragon's side at typical melee dragon position (just in front of rear leg), somewhere around max melee range (which is utterly huge). Good practice for when you get to learning heroic. Max melee range is a nice medium between having to run too big an arc during cutters, and having to run too far to the edge before getting dispelled.
Rhiannon

Postby Treck » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:06 pm

I really found no need at all for having a bossmod on this fight.
Oh, and just cuz the bossmod says 10min, doesnt make it so xD Annoying noticing at 5% :P
Treck

Postby Amirya » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:18 pm

Thanks, Rhia. I tried downloading a new DBM last night, still no Halion on it, so I'm guessing that build was released today.

I don't know if we're hitting Halion again before Sunday, and I'm out of town next week, but I hope to have better news next time. :D

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel