Remove Advertisements

[10/25] Ruby Sanctum - Halion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10/25] Ruby Sanctum - Halion

Postby Malthrax » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:17 am

How are people handling Consumption in RS10 heroic in phase2? We've done maybe a dozen attempts total, and aside from a few people who just appear to be color-blind to the purple beams, the major stopping block for us has been people dying in the Consumption circles.

Are you just pounding heals on the Consumpt-ee until they get out of the area of effect? Or is there some trick I'm not in-the-know about?

Typically we run:
pal (fire)/war (shadow)
tree/shaman/disco
2 random melee
3 random ranged

All 3 healers are inside the shadow realm; shaman is supposed to come out for phase-3, but we've not made it that far yet. Best attempt was about 52% with 3 DPS dead.

Should I ask the Disco to go Holy (Body&Soul) for this fight? Or would that simply be trading one set of bonuses/deficiencies for another?
Malthrax

Postby superworm » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:35 pm

Holy priest is extremely useful in 10m HM. When we're doing 10m HM, we just heal through the consumption. Make sure that no one stands close enough to the marked person to be pulled in when the debuff is decursed. Generally we keep one healer on the raid and one on the tank; if the raid healer is marked, then the tank healer will help healing the raid for some time. Guess being a blood dk tank somewhat helped, as I could live with merely several hots with my self-healing ability. We assigned the druid as the tank healer and he could put out considerable raid healing while keeping me alive. Halion doesn't hit that hard in 10m; he melees me for 10~15k and the breath is around 20k. Your major concern is to keep everyone alive in p2 and tanks should use skills constantly to reduce the healing pressure. The positioning will be more difficult in p3, as the white and black circles are cross-realm, but you won't have that many people to heal on the other hand, so it's not a big thing. However, if you are having problem healing the people in p2 with 3 healers inside, your healers are doing something terribly wrong. We could keep everyone alive in p2 with only 2 healer: holy priest and druid, while a tank and a healer is waiting outside. HoF seems not to work in 10m so don't waste time casting that.

Our strategy may not be the perfect one, but it works for us. Generally there're 2 marks per beams. The first mark will try to place himself at the tail direction, the second mark is at the same time with the cutting beams and he will run to the forward black sphere (clockwise) and place the circle there. This way the marks during the beams won't be cut to death. The tank should use skills/trinkets when the beams are coming, to ensure more healing time on the raid. In p3 the placement of the marks may be a bit more chaotic but the head/tail direction concept is the same.
About dodging the beams, you should expect that not everyone is capable enough to dodge that perfectly on their own. We just let the tank(in our case, me) to watch the beams and call out for direction when the beams come. The most difficult one is the first wave of beams. Once that is done, you just rotate 45 degrees when the beams ended and you won't get cut when the beams start the next time (but the raid still need to rotate with the beams).
superworm

Postby Sitar » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:26 am

We used a resto druid for the fire phase. When someone has the mark in the fire realm, rejuv + 2 lb then dispel. With all the hots rolling on the tank + lb.

For the shadow phase we used a paladin heal and a holy priest, it's just too easy with a holy priest. Have him spec for the added speed bonus when getting shielded and it just become easy mode.
Sitar

Postby Flitter » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:51 am

superworm wrote:One of our raid members reported that the purple beams seem to start from the exact positions where they ended cutting the last time. Could anyone confirm this?

Indeed. When the beams deactivate, stop at once and go back in the direction you came from for about 5-10 yards. It's not much by any means, just a tiny rotation "backwards", and you're safe.
Last edited by Flitter on Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flitter

Postby Xequecal » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:31 pm

superworm wrote:Talking about play style, there's a paladin tank in my guild that is also suffering from low threat. Generally when we are doing LK he could barely keep threat on the enraged spirits (well maybe due to silence reasons). Recently when we were fighting Halion, we let him tank the twilight realm first (as pals could throw out HoF), and some dps overtaunted in a few seconds.
I haven't played paladin for a while and I used to conceive this as a general situation among tankadins. Now thinking about that, this could also arise from his lack of skills. But as someone mentioned, it's hard to determine whether a tank is doing to his potential or not, unless you fraps it.

Paladins have threat problems in general ATM, our biggest issue in downing HLK10 was threat, our 10-man had no hunters or rogues and I simply could not hold aggro on the boss for shit, holding off a melee with Shadowmourne or a fire mage without ToT/MD is impossible. Halion is better than LK because he attacks you more often for more Holy Shield procs, not like LK P1 where he spends half the time casting and not attacking you.
Xequecal

Postby Treck » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:02 pm

Xequecal wrote:Paladins have threat problems in general ATM, our biggest issue in downing HLK10 was threat, our 10-man had no hunters or rogues and I simply could not hold aggro on the boss for shit, holding off a melee with Shadowmourne or a fire mage without ToT/MD is impossible. Halion is better than LK because he attacks you more often for more Holy Shield procs, not like LK P1 where he spends half the time casting and not attacking you.

I was running with the 13/52/6 specc with AM during our LK 10 hc progress, and i had pretty much the same issue.
If your running the 53/18 specc or so your threat shouldnt be that bad, sure dpsers will overaggro if they are not carefull, but thats their job aswell.
We also were unfortunate to do LK 10 hc without a hunter OR a rogue.
However we had a mage, and by having one of those, you can use him to gain some threat.
I dont know what speccs produces the most ammount of threat, but as long as they mirror image and nuke like hell they cant overaggro, and have your mage call out just a few sec before his mirror images are running out, and you can taunt the boss, gaining all his aggro without the boss ever changing from targeting you (you could have him stand a bit away aswell so that when mirror images run out you can RD taunt and he can invis, but it messes with the positioning).
I dont think theres anything seriously wrong about paladin tanks, id say if the dpsers are as good geared as you, your gonna have threat issues nomatter what class you play (except maybe for frost DK!, but then again who plays those in a serious raid).
Treck

Postby superworm » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:24 am

Treck wrote:I was running with the 13/52/6 specc with AM during our LK 10 hc progress, and i had pretty much the same issue.
If your running the 53/18 specc or so your threat shouldnt be that bad, sure dpsers will overaggro if they are not carefull, but thats their job aswell.
We also were unfortunate to do LK 10 hc without a hunter OR a rogue.
However we had a mage, and by having one of those, you can use him to gain some threat.
I dont know what speccs produces the most ammount of threat, but as long as they mirror image and nuke like hell they cant overaggro, and have your mage call out just a few sec before his mirror images are running out, and you can taunt the boss, gaining all his aggro without the boss ever changing from targeting you (you could have him stand a bit away aswell so that when mirror images run out you can RD taunt and he can invis, but it messes with the positioning).
I dont think theres anything seriously wrong about paladin tanks, id say if the dpsers are as good geared as you, your gonna have threat issues nomatter what class you play (except maybe for frost DK!, but then again who plays those in a serious raid).

Well, it's a bit off topic, but it's hard to over aggro any DK tank as long as they know how to play. Currently any DK tank could spam IT to gain an enormous amount of threat, and nothing forbids us from doing that. With the current buff in ICC, my IT hits for around 2k damage without crit and that's 28k threat per cast. At the start of a battle any DK could throw out 3 ITs in mere seconds (2 frost runes, 1 death rune from blood tap). If something happens and some dps seems to catch up with me in threat, I could always switch to IT spam and gain a lead in threat again. And IT is magic which is only affected by hit and is thus quite reliable.
The actual threat of IT is even higher than the values on paper. I'm currently running with a buff tank spec which provides the raid with both 10% AP and 20% melee haste buff, so I don't put points into the 10% damage increase talent in blood tree. However I put 5 points into Killing Machine and that guarantees at least 5 crits of IT in a minute. Other DK tanks generally have those damage increase talents and death rune convertion talents which should make IT spam a even more powerful move for threat.
superworm

Postby cds4850 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:58 am

25m Halion hard mode questions:

Can anyone comment on exactly how the transition mechanic works? Is there a moment where you can move without worrying about the boss being actively breathing/cleaving?

That is to say... if we have a large add up going into P2, as well as a couple small guys, we keep the raid upstairs to clean those up for a couple seconds. Does the shadow realm tank need to be the first through or is there a lag in the phasing and engagement of the boss? Although it hasn't happened to me, we've had a few raiders die immediately upon zoning into the shadow realm to breaths or cleaves. I would assume that there is a moment between zoning in (thus visualizing halion) and then actually taking damage from breath/cleave/etc. I haven't come across any threads specifically addressing any real movement of halion relative to the portal, so I am assuming this is a slow reaction on behalf of said raiders.
cds4850

Postby Treck » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:30 am

Id guess Halion could start cleaving right away, its a while before first breath so shouldnt be a problem.
Biggest issue is prolly if your tanking Halion in the middle from the start, since when you get ported down to the shadowrealm, you can end up right ontop of the boss and get both.
Pretty easy tanking him a side in p1, and if you want get him back into the middle when P3 comes, go right ahead.
Since when people get ported down after p1 at the side, the tank runs in and turns the boss, then everyone runs towards the middle to dps the boss.
We Have the upstair tanks and a pallyhealer finish of the addds upstairs while the rest run down.
Interesting enough, the big adds enrage if they are not killed in a certain ammount of time (smth like 2 min? or such i guess).
We had no problem 2manning it down as long as the big add had smth like 20% hp left, so people dot it up and casts some instants on it while they head for the portal.
The small adds are not much of a problem they also die fast enough when people head for the portal.
Treck

Postby Xequecal » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:45 pm

Treck wrote:Id guess Halion could start cleaving right away, its a while before first breath so shouldnt be a problem.
Biggest issue is prolly if your tanking Halion in the middle from the start, since when you get ported down to the shadowrealm, you can end up right ontop of the boss and get both.
Pretty easy tanking him a side in p1, and if you want get him back into the middle when P3 comes, go right ahead.
Since when people get ported down after p1 at the side, the tank runs in and turns the boss, then everyone runs towards the middle to dps the boss.
We Have the upstair tanks and a pallyhealer finish of the addds upstairs while the rest run down.
Interesting enough, the big adds enrage if they are not killed in a certain ammount of time (smth like 2 min? or such i guess).
We had no problem 2manning it down as long as the big add had smth like 20% hp left, so people dot it up and casts some instants on it while they head for the portal.
The small adds are not much of a problem they also die fast enough when people head for the portal.

Halion will immediately cleave on his first swing in P2, and it is VERY annoying. If you're tanking him in the center, the P2 portal appears in the center, and people can die to cleave as they're porting in. You can pull him to the edge of the fire wall in P1 to prevent this, but that causes other problems, namely you have to reposition him in P3 and he has a good chance of despawning on the P2-P3 transition. (His pathing is horrible and he will sometimes leave the fire arena to try and path to your tank if he aggros him from range, despawning as soon as he leaves it.)
Xequecal

Postby Ludiaro » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:02 am

Malthrax wrote:How are people handling Consumption in RS10 heroic in phase2? We've done maybe a dozen attempts total, and aside from a few people who just appear to be color-blind to the purple beams, the major stopping block for us has been people dying in the Consumption circles.

Are you just pounding heals on the Consumpt-ee until they get out of the area of effect? Or is there some trick I'm not in-the-know about?

Typically we run:
pal (fire)/war (shadow)
tree/shaman/disco
2 random melee
3 random ranged

All 3 healers are inside the shadow realm; shaman is supposed to come out for phase-3, but we've not made it that far yet. Best attempt was about 52% with 3 DPS dead.

Should I ask the Disco to go Holy (Body&Soul) for this fight? Or would that simply be trading one set of bonuses/deficiencies for another?

What we have done is to get at least 1 paladin in 10man hc(2 in 25man hc) in the twilight zone so he can freedom the people who get the consumption zone aftermath. Freedom not only unsnares but it also seems to make them immune to the some of the damage. In 10man your paladin should save freedom for the spinning phase so people don't fall behind(Freedom's cd makes it only viable each ~2 soul consumptions). Also could be that people take too much time running out to be dispelled and the zone gets too big, if that's the case: run faster. GL in future tries.
Ludiaro

Postby Boèndal » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:23 pm

It has been mentioned in this topic and we have made the same experience: hand of freedom is not working in 10m hc. We tried both versions: before and after dispell neither worked.

Like I said it has been mentioned just to clarify the last post.
Boèndal

Postby Kaory » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:34 am

Killed him very easily in 10man heroic. Setup: me protpally (shadowrealm), protwar (phys), dk, hunter, moonkin, elemental, aff-warlock, restodruid(phys), restoshammy, holypriest.

But we have many problems in 25hc.. Actually it's healing problems. Protwar tanking in phys realm dies very often. How many heals (what classes) do I need to bring in 25hc?
Kaory

Postby pfunkmort » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:08 am

consider making the disc go holy. Holy is able to deal with some of the raid damage down below and body and soul is...well...overpowered. our holy priest was putting it on as soon as the dispel happened, to allow them to run out and take less damage as they did so. Also of note is that corporeality affects all damage in the affected realm (so I'm told). So if you're thinking of tanking p3 with the shadow realm at like 70% corporeality, you might run into some raid survivability issues.
[2.Trade][Alessan]: Is WoW becoming an online kart racer in 4.0.3?
[2.Trade][Tehron]: Yes
pfunkmort

Postby Treck » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:34 am

Kaory wrote:But we have many problems in 25hc.. Actually it's healing problems. Protwar tanking in phys realm dies very often. How many heals (what classes) do I need to bring in 25hc?

Make sure the Tanks isnt neglecting to use his CDs, there are always times that you wanna make it easier for healers (theres not a whole lot to do in the physical realm even if your tanking halion+the fireadd, i assume you do).
I think we usually have a holypally, restoshaman and a holypriest outside (and i dont think it can get more optimized that that, maybe 2nd holypally instead of the shaman).
The priest takes care of all raidwide damage, aswell as the marks (shielding and healing them so that they survive), while the pally and shaman takes care of the tank(s).
The addtank really doesnt need much focus, but its pretty sweet for the pally to heal him, and have beacon on the Halion tank (glyph of ligh healing on the raid) And the shaman pretty much heals the MT all the time.
Worst parts is if the paladin gets the debuff, since then the shaman is alone on both tanks, That is a situation you wanna have CDs for as a tank.

And yes, make sure corporeality never reaches 30% or 70%, if its not bad for you, its bad for the other half of the raid.
Treck

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel