Remove Advertisements

[10/25] Ruby Sanctum - Halion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10/25] Ruby Sanctum - Halion

Postby Joanadark » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:54 am

Treck wrote:BTW, its far from unknown, but a lot of people might have missed it.
Theres no need to struggle in the SoV glyph into your mainspecc, as long as your secondary has it.
Just specc your secondary specc, refresh your seal, and specc back. As long as the SoV isnt renewed/replaced, you will get the 10exp nomatter if the glyph is in your current specc or not.
I found HoSalv glyph+ DP glyph and Avenger shield glyph to be really good on this boss, esp when you can get SoV glyph and the other 3.
Avenger shield is ofc for tanking boss+add, and if your staying out from P1, salv is very usefull to reduce damage while not having any trouble keeping threat on the boss (watch when tanking add tho)
The big add cant be taunted, so tauntglyph doesnt do anything for you there.

I dont really see that much use of going all out for exp, if you can keep pretty much the same gear level then sure, and the glyph is really nice.
Besides, if your tanking in the shadowrealm odds are much bigger its one of the dpsers attacks that gets parried, and nomatter your exp, wont help that :S

Rets have known about that for months. It's technically an exploit though, confirmed, so whether you decide to make use of it is on you. Personally I never did.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Joanadark » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:18 pm

knaughty wrote:
Meloree wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zevzPlao1b8&feature=player_embedded

Tankspot's guide is relatively good. Just close your eyes when it cuts to the paladin tank's PoV.

I only just saw it... showing it to my guild so they can stop complaining about me!

How the FUCK does he hold his spot in a top 100 guild? I've kicked people for far less. Super-amazingly-long-term-veterans who start to suck that hard get "Retired" slots, rather than a g-kick.
baleogthefierce wrote:At least he's putting Armsman to good use.

Don't worry! He's switched to Mongoose!

My understanding is
-He's one of their old school, legacy, been-in-the-guild-since-stone-age members.
-He was one of their MTs in sunwell, back when the paladin rotation was so simplistic (assuming you weren't seal-twisting) it could be clicked without too noticeable a difference anyway.
-They have enough tanks on their roster that they simply don't use him for any role that's outside of his capabilities.
-He doesn't mind sitting out when a job is too hard for him.
-He's an older player, age wise.

I can actually sympathize quite a bit with <Drow>, because <Forlorn Legacy> actually had a pretty similar situation. We had this legacy player, also a paladin tank, who had been a main tank for the guild since TBC and to be quite frank wasn't all that good.
I loved the guy to death though, cause he was the biggest trooper about it. He was also an infantry sergeant in the Canadian Paratroopers, in 3rd Bn, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry and with multiple combat deployments under his belt. I think one of the reasons he'd stayed as an active raider for so long was that everybody in the guild was scared that if they demoted him they'd all of a sudden have this beefy Canadian commando guy parachute out of nowhere on top of them as they were walking down the street the next day and beat the living crap out of them. Personally I got on with him quite well.

What ended up happening though is that he stayed on the raiding roster, and sat for progression on anything that didn't have a tanking job easy enough for him to handle. I'd bring him in to do things like tank Anub'arak heroic, or tank Twin Valks, basically any time there was a fight where all the tank had to do was mindlessly stand in one spot and build threat. He sat out for anything more complicated, like Algalon or Yog 0 progression; pretty much the entirety of ulduar. Then we'd bring him in once it was on farm and we could afford to hold his hand.

FL was recruiting tanks pretty much the entire time since I first joined until the present day though, and even though this certain player was hardly up to our standards, he was here and we were friends with him and he'd been in the guild forever and he'd earned the right to at very least get brought in for farm content when the two warriors needed a break and a chance to get rotated out.
Awbade was supposed to be this guy's replacement until we found out he sucked too.

I guess the moral of the story is four-fold:
1)Even top guilds have players that hold them back due to lack of skill, but who you are hesitant to kick because of social reasons. They can get away with it though because those players are ALWAYS tanks, due to number 2...
2)Tanking was made so ridiculously easy with the threat changes going from TBC to WotLK that a lot of fights you don't even NEED to be basically competent as a tank, just be able to stand still and hit random buttons now and then.
3)<Drow> and <Forlorn Legacy> both need good tank apps. The bar is probably lower than you think.
4)Awbade sucks lol.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Epimer » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:13 pm

It's actually kind of nice to see that loyalty and e-friendship counts for something even in top flight guilds. It's also kind of galling for those of us who work hard to, y'know, not suck and yet struggle to get into a good guild situation.

That last part's purely, unashamedly jealousy speaking, though :) Thanks for the insight, JD.
Epimer

Postby Treck » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:47 pm

Dont know if its a troll post or not, but someone mentioned that Drow put some serious demands from their tanks side, that if he wouldnt shape up fast, they would loose him.
I guess its mainly for all the attention they got from having it on tankspot, since i dont think that was his first time frapsing anyway, so someone had to have seen a movie.
Treck

Postby Joanadark » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:45 pm

I think what's most interesting about this is the fact that it probably wasn't even NOTICEABLE that he sucks that bad, apart from the vague sense that his threat is a little low, until they actually saw a fraps of him playing.
What does that say about what tanking has become?
Joanadark

Postby Vrimmel » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:12 pm

Joanadark wrote:I think what's most interesting about this is the fact that it probably wasn't even NOTICEABLE that he sucks that bad, apart from the vague sense that his threat is a little low, until they actually saw a fraps of him playing.
What does that say about what tanking has become?

Didn't you just say two posts ago that you could get away with tanking like that in SWP? Tanking has never been very hard. And with ToTs, MDs and sanc you don't need very high threat to keep over the dps.
Vrimmel

Postby Joanadark » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:37 pm

Suppose you're right.
Joanadark

Postby Meloree » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:48 pm

I'm not sure this is the right thread for bashing on the guy. We don't know the guy, he's not here to defend himself. Can we just stop at "his play appears suboptimal, the video remains a useful guide"?
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:53 pm

You can get by if the guild works around you, and you have been able to do that for ages.
Most people just dont have a reason to work around someone with that dedication.
There is no way their whole guild always have thought highly of him as the best tank they have ever seen.
He might be smart, funny, clever and maybe good at seeing whats happening around him, that have made them stick with him so long.
They like their tank, and while they do realise hes not the worlds best tank, they enjoy playing with him still.
Thats my thoughts atleast.
Ive played with people who should have aimed a lot lower, but kept playing with them since its nice company, even if its not the greatest for the raid.
A lot of bosses are sadly just stand still and tank that anyone can do really.
And they would never put this quy on a really demanding spot if they had someone else to sit there, so he would most likely end up staying as stationary as he can.
A lot of standby people are also there, as standby's, since people in the guild likes them, not for their play, they are reliable, happy to help out but also understands that they might not be best for everything, and accepts it.

And if that person happends to be someone who talks a lot, and everyone kinda likes the guy for who he is and not his play, then if he sometimes complain a bit on smth like that pallytanking is a bit weaker than it should, or so, they might actually beleave him, i mean he doesnt have a reason to lie, he prolly even thinks that is the case, and thus everyone accepts that he might need a bit more tricks than the other tanks.
I wouldnt always question a friend of mine if he would say such a thing.
Treck

Postby Joanadark » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:54 pm

That implies that there's some legitimate defense he would be able to potentially make, were he here.
I think I came as close to defending him as you can really get.
Joanadark

Postby Meloree » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:14 pm

Joanadark wrote:That implies that there's some legitimate defense he would be able to potentially make, were he here.
I think I came as close to defending him as you can really get.

There's more involved than you. I just don't think it's the right thread for discussing one guys playstyle (or bashing him). There's a 10 page thread on doomhammer forums, and a bajillion comments in the youtube thread - he's already catching enough internet flak.

EDIT: I'm upset at myself for linking the video now - I just don't want to be associated with an internet lynch squad. Unless the guy shows up somewhere to defend himself - legitimate defense or not - I don't see a reason to stay on the subject.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Argali » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:41 pm

Personally I've found tanking to be easiest to play out of dpsing, healing and tanking, if you're a soulless robot. But unlike a dps or healer, if you make a mistake and die, it's not a guaranteed wipe, whereas most of the time, if you're a tank, you make a mistake and die, it's nearly guaranteed a wipe, and the pressure of playing perfectly may be too much for most.

Depends on the fight though. Tanking halion in physical phase on normal was so boring I alt tabbed, lol.
Argali

Postby Levantine » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:46 pm

This thread should be about how bad Awbade is, methinks. Either that or Halion, whatever. We've already established that that guy is Not Good in any shape but there are probably social reasons he's still in Drow. Like Meloree said, there's no real point in continuing to bash the poor guy.... Awbade on the other hand.
Levantine

Postby superworm » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:27 pm

Talking about play style, there's a paladin tank in my guild that is also suffering from low threat. Generally when we are doing LK he could barely keep threat on the enraged spirits (well maybe due to silence reasons). Recently when we were fighting Halion, we let him tank the twilight realm first (as pals could throw out HoF), and some dps overtaunted in a few seconds.
I haven't played paladin for a while and I used to conceive this as a general situation among tankadins. Now thinking about that, this could also arise from his lack of skills. But as someone mentioned, it's hard to determine whether a tank is doing to his potential or not, unless you fraps it.
superworm

Postby Levantine » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:47 pm

It's not hard at all. Take a log of the fight, pick jaw up off the floor as you see how horribly they're performing their rotations.
Levantine

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel