Remove Advertisements

[10H] Lich King - Phase 3 Raging Spirits / Post-Frostmourne

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10H] Lich King - Phase 3 Raging Spirits / Post-Frostmourne

Postby Mert » Wed May 19, 2010 7:23 am

I've been having a little trouble with the second transition / beginning of phase 3 on this fight, specifically with regard to the Raging Spirits. I'll explain the way we've been doing things and hopefully you fantastic people can help us to hone our strategy here. Firslty, our typical raid composition:

Tanks: Feral Druid (MT), Prot Paladin (OT)
Healers: Disc Priest, Holy Paladin
DPS: Unholy Deathknight, Retribution Paladin, Marksmanship Hunter, Elemental Shaman, Arcane Mage, Shadow Priest

I play the OT through all the phases. During the second transition, the MT and I alternate pickup of the Raging Spirits - I get the first and third, he gets the second and fourth. We do this simply to reduce the chance of aggro-related wipes - we position them so the Shrieks do not overlap each other, minimising the amount of time I am spent silenced.

Upon the end of the transition, I RD the MT, AS his Spirit and then move them away from the raid toward the throne before we get ported into Frostmourne. However, my problem comes as we exit the Frostmourne room - firstly, it seems to take a couple of seconds for the Spirits' models to spawn in - I can see that they're there, causing damage and I can see the Shriek effect but I can't see them or their nameplate - this makes me slower than usual to taunt one if needed. Has anyone else experienced this (or, even better, found a solution)? My PC is well-spec'd and I've tried lowering my graphics settings with no effect.

Aside from that, there seems to be a definite issue with DPS overaggroing while we're in Frostmourne - I guess they DoT up the mobs before porting in or something but I find that I almost certainly have lost aggro on at least one of them when we port out. We tried Salving people who looked high whilst in Frostmourne but it seems to have no effect (presumably because we're zoned seperately). We also considered BoPing the highest threat but, with them not appearing for a few seconds, by the time you can target them it's already too late. I suspect also that they may aggro the highest on threat on exit from FM rather than waiting for the usual 110% trigger, though that's completely unconfirmed.

So is the solution simply to ask them to ease off / not DoT up the Spirits before the first FM? It would seem a shame for that to be the only real answer, because getting the spirits down quickly would be integral to me surviving my secondary role as soaker for phase 3 (Ret Paladin bubbles the first spawn while Raging Spirits are still up). How do you guys deal with the first exit of FM when the Spirits are still around? It seems to me that if we can pass this particular hurdle then the rest of Phase 3 shouldn't be too bad but it's definitely proving trickly. Any advice or thoughts are very much welcome :)
Mert

Re: [10H] Lich King - Phase 3 Raging Spirits / Post-Frostmourne

Postby Felyndiia » Wed May 19, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi.

In the remorseless winter phase I take the first, third and fourth spirit. During transition, our whole raid waits at the boarder of the plateau (the mt too) and I tank the spirits as close to the mt as possible. To get the 4th spirit I pop wings, use hor, as and then at much aggro styles as possible (It's very important, to get dispelled if silenced). The key in this position is, that the spirit is spawned extremly near to the tank position and you won't be turn around because of harvest souls. While he casts it, you have time to check whether threat is enough or not. If not, you can call out for fade, shatter etc or pre-bop in the frost mourne room 2 seconds before getting free. After getting back up use dp to survive both shrieks. They won't hit the raid because they sill look in the center and not in the raid.

Here's our video:
1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-YO1s85yf4
2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq05ljsC0uA&NR

Transition is at the end of part 1 and beginning of part.
Felyndiia

Postby gomashon » Thu May 20, 2010 5:42 am

Is that hunter using a worm ? Why would you use that when you have warrior for sunder?
did you have your whole raid pick up engineering for this fight?
Group Therapy (Ravencrest-EU), 2 raid days per week, 8/8 25-Heroic, always recruiting.
gomashon

Postby Felyndiia » Thu May 20, 2010 8:03 am

Sa felt sometimes off because of the valks. That's why we decided to use the Worm.

Not every person has got engineering, it only looks so in this try :D
Felyndiia

Postby pfunkmort » Sat May 22, 2010 4:36 am

semi-off-topic...what is it you do there? the ret breaks the first set of vile spirits, the dk pops army for the second, and then you soak the third?
[2.Trade][Alessan]: Is WoW becoming an online kart racer in 4.0.3?
[2.Trade][Tehron]: Yes
pfunkmort

Postby Mert » Sat May 22, 2010 9:08 am

Firstly, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply, Felyndiia, very much appreciated :)

As for what we do in phase 3, the plan is certainly to have the Ret pop the first lot. Unfortunately due to the Raging Spirits issues we've had, we've not managed to quite get a full raid past the first Vile Spirit spawn to test it out. I suspect, however, that we won't use an Army simply because if we have Raging Spirits up it'd probably roulette us all to death (funny though that'd be :D) and if we don't have any up then we may as well have me (the Prot Pally) soak them. Of course, more on this when we get there. Next 10-man won't be until Monday or Tuesday so I'll be able to give you more info on how that works out logistically after then hopefully.

EDIT: There has also been some talk of having the Shadow Priest Dispersion-soak them but, again, not really got far enough to see how necessary it is yet :(
Mert

Postby Darielle » Sat May 22, 2010 1:06 pm

Our DK reports that Army doesn't taunt Ragings*

*Any wipes from this above information are NOT my fault :P
Darielle

Postby pfunkmort » Sat May 22, 2010 2:21 pm

we are using a spriest in our comp as well, and that idea did come up (we're sort of debating how to soak the first set properly, and we have no ret). The problem is dispersion's short (6 seconds) duration. I think you could probably pull it off, if you were really dead on it with a frost trap, but right now we're leaning more towards army, or the druid MT taunting off the raging spirits with chained CDs while I do it...or the holy paladin popping the first set with hymn or something to cover for his healing lapse. going back in on sunday, and hopefully something will work.
[2.Trade][Alessan]: Is WoW becoming an online kart racer in 4.0.3?
[2.Trade][Tehron]: Yes
pfunkmort

Postby superworm » Sun May 23, 2010 10:15 am

IIRC the raging spirits are considered bosses and maybe that's why AoD don't taunt them.
superworm

Postby Mert » Sun May 23, 2010 1:27 pm

I don't know about Heroic, but on Normal we used Armies successfully when doing Neck-Deep in Vile and it seemed to do its job.
Mert

Postby Mert » Mon May 24, 2010 6:36 am

Just a bit of an update for you guys - we didn't really have the raidcomp last night for a serious attempt on 25-man LK Heroic so we went and did some other stuff and had just enough time for a couple of attempts on 10-man LK before we called it a night.

Firstly, the positioning of the Raging Spirits that Felyndiia seemed to help a lot - unfortunately we had a death inside Frostmourne so our MT promptly went splat on what was otherwise a good attempt. The good news, however, is that the Spirits stuck to me pretty well despite the change, so I'm hopeful that once we survive FM we'll do okay. However, I'm now thinking of possibly macroing a Libram and/or Weapon-swap for the second transition just to help build more threat on the Ragings - as I'm relatively dormant both before they spawn and after they're dead the loss of a global / reset of my swing-timer shouldn't be an issue. It may be unnecessary but I don't think it'll hurt either.

Secondly, I took a bunch of Vile Spirits to the face on one attempt while I still had Raging Spirits up and the Holy Light bombing seemed sufficient to keep me up through it so I'm relatively certain that having an OT soak them won't be a problem.

One quick question to finish - the Shockwave from the Shambling Horrors is physical damage I believe but does anyone happen to know if it's mitigated by Armor or not? Thanks :)
Mert

Postby Chicken » Wed May 26, 2010 3:46 am

Shockwave's damage is reduced by armor, and also affected by Attack Power debuffs like Vindication or Demoralizing Shout.
Chicken

Postby Mert » Wed May 26, 2010 6:25 am

Oooh, now that is good news. Thanks Chicken!

Since my role is rarely to tank the Lich King himself (outside of the few seconds Soul Reaper is on the MT) I'm thinking I may go full on Max Armor (like Crysis!) for this which'd give me about 46k raidbuffed with a prepotted Indestructible (which should last me through all of Phase 1). Only downside I can see is that my Armor set necessitates not using 277 Last Word in order to stay crit immune and I know my Holy Pally likes his effective Spellpower bonus.

Anyway thanks for clarifying for me, much appreciated :D
Mert

Postby Blitzago » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:55 am

Mert wrote:Oooh, now that is good news. Thanks Chicken!

Since my role is rarely to tank the Lich King himself (outside of the few seconds Soul Reaper is on the MT) I'm thinking I may go full on Max Armor (like Crysis!) for this which'd give me about 46k raidbuffed with a prepotted Indestructible (which should last me through all of Phase 1). Only downside I can see is that my Armor set necessitates not using 277 Last Word in order to stay crit immune and I know my Holy Pally likes his effective Spellpower bonus.

Anyway thanks for clarifying for me, much appreciated :D

If you're soaking the vile spirits, it would most likely be much better to go to a stam heavy setup.

Shambling doesn't hit all that hard, even without a AP debuff on me, since I was 11/54/6 for auramastery to help out a bit. the melee's were for about 15k.
Blitzago

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel