[25] Festergut tank DPS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25] Festergut tank DPS

Postby Isetnefret » Fri May 14, 2010 12:45 pm

Are we at the point where we can switch out to DPS trinkets and some dps gear when tanking Festergut 25?

I want to put some of my lowly 8k DPSers to shame.
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Re: [25] Festergut tank DPS

Postby Argali » Fri May 14, 2010 12:55 pm

Are you dying?

My healers are terribad and make me trigger AD on 2 inhales stacks, so this is a pipe dream for me.
Argali

Postby Isetnefret » Fri May 14, 2010 12:59 pm

I toyed with the idea a little bit: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/11cpt397 ... 676&e=5987

If I were to fully commit to it, I'd go 2x DPS trinkets, an iLevel 264 dps weapon.....maybe a few other pieces, so long as I don't drop below 540 defense and my health stays up.

For that attempt, it was our lowest DPS kill ever, but they kept me up. When looking at the numbers, my survivability seems on-par with our DK tank.

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Postby Meloree » Fri May 14, 2010 1:01 pm

Isetnefret wrote:Are we at the point where we can switch out to DPS trinkets and some dps gear when tanking Festergut 25?

I want to put some of my lowly 8k DPSers to shame.

Yes.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Isetnefret » Fri May 14, 2010 1:07 pm

This is me in full DPS spec with my terribad DPS gear:
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/0vcohdoj ... 811&e=7073

Otung, our warrior tank, has a rogue. It seems to me we'd be better served letting me tank and him play his DPS, especially if I can figure out a way to squeeze another 1k or so DPS out while in tank spec, without becoming a liability.

Isetnefret

Postby Isetnefret » Fri May 14, 2010 1:15 pm

Mel, which pieces were you using as DPS gear?

I was considering swapping to 2pc T9 (iLevel 245) dps gear for the bonus.

Do you use a dps weapon?

We only do 25 man normal modes. What minimum tankish stats should I allow myself to drop to?

We have some top notch healers that are on-the-ball, so I have the upper limits of iLevel 264 healing gear to work with.

Isetnefret

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri May 14, 2010 1:37 pm

Solo-tank it and bring +1 dps instead of an Off-tank. Bubble off stacks at 9.

If your DPS isn't fast enough to kill him in 18 stacks, have a feral go bear and take the first 8-9 stacks and take over from there (kitty with many stacks does many damages), so you've got 27 stacks to kill him in, which is plenty even for heroic mode.

As far as being able to tank it in dps gear -- that's probably more a per-raid thing than anything else. Squeezing out more DPS from the tank + picking up another DPS might push you over the hump, if that's the problem, and not just Sending A Message of Questionable Usefulness to DPS (hey a paladin tank with Festergut Stacks Does More Damage Than You).

(personally my DPS set uses 2pc-T10 + 2pc-T9 for HotR silliness + DMC:G + the melee Frost Badge Trinket)
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Fri May 14, 2010 2:03 pm

Isetnefret wrote:Mel, which pieces were you using as DPS gear?

Do you use a dps weapon?

We only do 25 man normal modes. What minimum tankish stats should I allow myself to drop to?

I used the ilvl271 axe from LK25, with berserking, DMC:G, Herkumi War Token (my trinkets suck), and a couple of DPS pieces with crit/expertise or crit/hit. And a Reckoning spec.

I think I had around 43k unbuffed hp, 32k unbuffed armor, 28% dodge and 21% parry, with 4700 unbuffed AP and 24% unbuffed crit. It was 25H, though. In normal mode, we had a cat tanking from the first pull, long before the buff, so that'll give you an idea of what you can get away with. Essentially all of my gear aside from the pieces mentioned is 277 tank gear.

That log, though, has some fun parses. I went to town on Saurfang and Marrowgar, with 8500 and 7500 dps respectively.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby smiter » Fri May 14, 2010 3:27 pm

Meloree wrote:
Isetnefret wrote:Mel, which pieces were you using as DPS gear?

Do you use a dps weapon?

I used the ilvl271 axe from LK25, with berserking, DMC:G, Herkumi War Token (my trinkets suck), and a couple of DPS pieces with crit/expertise or crit/hit. And a Reckoning spec.

I think I had around 43k unbuffed hp, 32k unbuffed armor, 28% dodge and 21% parry, with 4700 unbuffed AP and 24% unbuffed crit. It was 25H, though. In normal mode, we had a cat tanking from the first pull, long before the buff, so that'll give you an idea of what you can get away with. Essentially all of my gear aside from the pieces mentioned is 277 tank gear.

That log, though, has some fun parses. I went to town on Saurfang and Marrowgar, with 8500 and 7500 dps respectively.

I really need to get into a 25H guild...but I love my guild soo I can't leave them. Sucks they want to do 25man stuff too now (though it is fun) because now I can't even run with a 25man oriented guild...
smiter

Postby inthedrops » Fri May 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Apologies in advance for the thread ninja...

Mel, if you do LDW be careful to have enough health to survive an uninterrupted frost bolt. I got one shot and it pissed off the raid leader so I lost my chance that night for more "dps" fun :(
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Fri May 14, 2010 7:16 pm

inthedrops wrote:Apologies in advance for the thread ninja...

Mel, if you do LDW be careful to have enough health to survive an uninterrupted frost bolt. I got one shot and it pissed off the raid leader so I lost my chance that night for more "dps" fun :(

Oh, I wasn't very low on health. Still 61k raidbuffed, IIRC. I was mostly in tank stuff. I only managed 6k dps on LDW, though, which was disappointing.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Dunkan » Sat May 15, 2010 11:04 pm

I get around 6.5k dps with just a one-hand DPS weapon with berserking on it. I have enough DPS kit to swap out more pieces which I will try now he is well and truly on farm.

TBH, there are a lot of places to try DPS/Tanking gear in ICC. DBS is a good one, also recommend trying it on Lady Deathwhisper. I suppose you could use it on the boat, however I use Raid Leaders privelage and play pogo on the oppositions boat.
Khaz'goroth Oceanic
Dunkan

Postby kysu » Tue May 18, 2010 5:40 am

Here is my parse for fester, I was only in pure 264 gear with last word dps libram and trinkets rest was tank gear. Rawr just shy on 9 k qq
kysu

Postby Isetnefret » Thu May 20, 2010 10:14 am

http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/pla ... in/?page=2

Took your advice. I'm still 15 places behind Kysu.

Isetnefret

Postby Blitzago » Thu May 20, 2010 1:09 pm

I did about 9.6k on festergut with having to stop a few times cause of threat even after 2 salvs

I'm wondering if the 264 axe from Heroic Gunship 10, gemmed and enchanted with berserking would be better than Last Word 277 gemmed and enchanted with zerking.

Currently got both.
Blitzago

Next

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel