[10H] Festergut

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10H] Festergut

Postby rocket » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:33 pm

I thought that I would start adding a specific strat for the 10H encounters, since there is some translation (albeit minor) from 25H to 10H.

Anyways, if you know the 25H Festergut strat, the 10H is very similar.

Festergut is pulled by Tank 1 toward the west wall, with the tank's back toward the east wall. The reason for this, although now moot with the slime landing indicators enables the tunnel-visioning players to see the incoming goo. Our team uses that skeleton feature on the wall as the positioning datum. You can see putricide on the balcony, and the goo always comes from the same starting point.

Our team has all but 3 players stack up with the melee, and we start on the left leg. A single reliable (in movement) player is marked so that the others know visually that it is time to move. The 3 players not stacked are to maintain the minimum set of ppl to not get the vile gas on the other 7. The 3 outside should be your ranged (in particular hunters since they cant dps in melee well, and spread out in a line from 15 yards or so from the boss to the door. Spread out more than 10 yards as to not chain vile gas. The line is meant to be perpendicular from the malleable goo path so that 2 of the 3 people can just stand there and continue to DPS/Heal, and the goo target moves out of the way.

The fight is then pretty much standard Festergut (except not in the middle of the room). Spores come, and you need 1 spore on the melee, and 1 on the ranged. We have the spore and melee clump on the tank, and the ranged clump on the healer (so he can stand and spam tank heals overcoming moving healer(s) in melee range)

Since most of the people are in melee range (7 of 10), it does seem like most of the goo is coming to melee, so the positioning from the outside of left leg, to outside of right leg is a relatively constant dance. Again, because of our ranged setup, a goo targets 1 person, and the other 2 dont have to move. or if they do to stay in range, it is minimal movement.

Anyone failing the movement check and getting hit by goo will challenge the enrage timer if you have above average dps. Excellent DPS should be able to recover, however with the new green slime target on the ground which indicates the goo target, people paying an expected amount of attention should be able to move in time, everytime.

As the tank, i didnt think i took some insane level of damage, though i am almost completely 264 geared, and I wear my armor set. I am the second tank, so get to tank the 3 inhale period, and i burn cooldowns just because they are up, however, they didnt seem like they were absolutely positively mandatory. (i wont skip them though, since it doesnt make sense to take unneeded damage).
rocket
Maintankadonor

Re: [10H] Festergut

Postby Meloree » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:32 pm

We tend to try and balance it so that 3-4 people are in melee (including the 2nd tank), not 7. If we're short on melee we'll put a mobile healer in there (druid or priest). 7 in melee seems like a lot of movement for the ranged, seems like you're giving away dps.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby rocket » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:18 pm

here is our 10 makeup, and it does seem to work, however it does seem like we are getting closer to the enrage timer than I would expect.

"Melee Group"
2 tanks - Druid and me
3 melee - Fury warrior, Rogue, DK
1 Holy Priest
1 Resto Shaman

"Ranged Group"
1 Hunter
1 Mage
1 Resto Shaman

Our team is very nicely balanced (except we did lose our Holy Pally and backfilled with our 2nd shaman), but it does lend itself to 5 melee at the very least.

What we found out is the minimal movement going from leg to leg (for the melee) doesnt impact dps that much, however it would impact the healers ability to heal on the move. Assuming the goo target is random, then the ranged are only targetted 30% of the time, so 70% of the time they can go balls-out unless they get vile gassed. just listening to vent makes me think that they arent moving much.

Im not sure who i would swap out, but to come closer your ratio, we would put 1 of our melee healers out in the "ranged" group. i do see this minimizing melee movement, but i dont think that melee dps is degraded much by this movement. ive seen the 25man uses 2 ranged groups on either flank, so i presume we can put 1 dps, and 1 healer on either flank, and essentially run a 2-6-2. I can see that by adding more to the ranged group, then the ranged dps are getting vile gassed less, but i dont think that they are moving a lot compared to the melee.

i do appreciate the suggestion though Mel, and anything that we can do to be more efficient, as well as help fellow prot pallies is what I hope to do here.
rocket
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:50 pm

There are only 2 spores in 10man, 2-6-2 doesn't work. However, any given person in the ranged group only needs to move for malleable goo 10% of the time, regardless of how many people are out there. People in melee need to move x*10% of the time, where x is the number of people in melee. I don't count whoever is tanking in that, though, they've got a separate spot, and we just generally have the tank eat any goo that goes his way.
It doesn't affect melee dps at all to shift side to side, it's mostly a consideration of balancing spores (less change someone needs to make a big move out or in if the numbers are balanced), and minimizing healer movement.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:45 am

Note: If you're at the point where you're doing heroic ICC-10, you're probably geared enough to solo-tank the fight. Previously, the difficulty with doing this was when having healers stacked in melee having to move every time a goo was cast... but now, with the indicator, the melee range cluster can be spread leisurely and only certain players will have to move at certain times.

Our first kill was solo-tanked, didn't feel rough at all. Our second attempt at solo-tanking was met with failure. Your mileage may vary, but give it a try if you feel like it. It's certainly more fun!
Belloc

Postby chinoquezada » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:41 am

Belloc wrote:Note: If you're at the point where you're doing heroic ICC-10, you're probably geared enough to solo-tank the fight. Previously, the difficulty with doing this was when having healers stacked in melee having to move every time a goo was cast... but now, with the indicator, the melee range cluster can be spread leisurely and only certain players will have to move at certain times.

Our first kill was solo-tanked, didn't feel rough at all. Our second attempt at solo-tanking was met with failure. Your mileage may vary, but give it a try if you feel like it. It's certainly more fun!

Kindly explain to me how you "solo-tank" this.
Boy your 10man must have ballin' deeps.
chinoquezada

Postby Boyfriend » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:50 am

Paladins can (or at least could) bubble off the debuff, which makes solo tanking it possible; but not really a good idea for progress since it still costs you 1/3rd of the time until enrage. (Personally I havne't tried it, but I think that's how you'd do it)
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby chinoquezada » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:32 am

Boyfriend wrote:Paladins can (or at least could) bubble off the debuff, which makes solo tanking it possible; but not really a good idea for progress since it still costs you 1/3rd of the time until enrage. (Personally I havne't tried it, but I think that's how you'd do it)

That's what I was leading to.
The dps required to bring down fester10 hm in 6 inhales is extremely high. IF your raid is able to do this, then just using 2 tanks and doing it regularly shouldn't be a problem anyways
chinoquezada

Postby Boyfriend » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:55 am

Honestly I don't know why you'd use 1 tank, it seems to only have downsides. Tanks actually do decent damage on this fight so the benefit of another dps at the cost of a tank won't be that high, and you lose a full third of the time until enrage.

And considering you need 2 tanks for most icc 10 encounters I don't really see why you'd be standing there with 1 tank. On the topic of respeccing though they have to fix the endless time it takes for paladins to respecc, PLEASE make blessing stay my prot kings is not different from my ret kings why do I have to rebless...
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:29 am

The DPS check on 10-man heroic isn't bad to begin with... adding an extra DPS makes it that much faster.

Again, I'm not suggesting that anyone actually do this... I'm just pointing out that you can and that it can be fun. But the DPS requirement is nowhere near an issue when doing this.
Belloc

Postby Repartee » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:04 pm

By trying to solo tank this (using a Divine Shield+cancelaura macro), you are also depriving yourself of bubblewall during inhale 3 due to forbearance. This seems like more trouble than it's worth. It does sound like something fun to do once. But adding extra RNG to it seems iffy.
Repartee

Postby Belloc » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:20 pm

Yeah, of course. It's just an option in case you want to try it.
Belloc

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel