[10H] Marrowgar

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10H] Marrowgar

Postby ydraw » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:10 am

We've been having a lot of problems with this fight despite being able to get deathwhisper, gunship, saurfang and rotface down with no problems.

Specifically we just can't keep up with the healing required in the bone storm phase because healers are constantly moving, and we don't have a druid. We have been BOPing people who get spiked and have tried using all sorts of raid cooldowns but there are just too many times when 2-3 people are dying in a bonestorm phase.

Anyone who's done this on 10-man care to share any tipe?
ydraw

Re: [10H] Marrowgar

Postby Wrathy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:51 am

Well we had quite a few problems on this to start off. We heard it was easy, then found ourselves wiping a lot on it. The key to this fight is positioning. Really what worked for us, and I know its not necessarily the easiest strat (I have heard of a better one but I will let said paladin turned rogue comment on that) but it works.

We set up specific camps for the groups. MT and OT stayed put in the back of the room, and we split up the groups to either side of the circle on the ground, with a healer in each group, plus one floating (we three heal hard modes). This way Marrowgar will just ping pong back and forth. Once he starts moving, people collapse towards the middle (predetermined collapse position to aid in healing (in range of both healers). Rinse and repeat. If a healer is spiked, the tanks ran into the middle and DS/DG'ed for ease of healing.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby beornus » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:08 am

Since he is too modest to pimp his own site, a graphic laying out the strat Wrathy is describing is on his blog, which is linked in his sig.
beornus
Maintankadonor

Postby Repartee » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:57 pm

OT? My DK OT goes dps spec and let's my panderen monk OT. ;)

My 10 man had the same experience as Wrathy. The drop off in damage is fairly steep from Marrowgar's center point. We had to convince ourselves to not move too much when he stormed a certain area, as in moving out of a healer's range.

Hardest part about tanking this is dodging the fires. With about 8 seconds to go before a storm phase, I would move toward one of the ramps to give some distance between Marrowgar and the dps/healer groups. Don't be tempted to move back in until the storm ends. Perhaps this is only anecdotal evidence, but he does seem to prefer moving long distances to storm. I would stay near the ramp and exorcism/Hand of Reckoning on cd. When he charged me, I'd move a few yards and get a few melee hits in.
Repartee

Postby rocket » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:09 pm

what worked for us increased our success rate almost instantly:

first off, marrowgar was tanked at the doorway. I exorcism, AS pull with MD. Marrowgar moves in and AW and 969. OT (feral)right next eating cleaves with me . We worked out a "left-left-right" movement to stay out of fires, and to minimally rotate the boss. When we we in a rhythm, it was basically no different than normal at this point.

for bonestorm, I ran right up to the top of the deathwhisper ramp (up to the ice) and our OT ran to the left top of the ramp. We basically need very little heals each at this phase assuming you don't stand in fire and move slightly out of the middle of bone storm. The rest of the raid spread out in the middle circle area. Amazingly, marrowgar is amazingly fond of the tanks, and with movement and CDs surviving is easy (though I think a healer was likely closer than I remember). While on either tank, the raid can focus on spikes and be ready to spread out and move. If half of the storm came to tanks (and it felt like half) then raid surbivability isn't really threatened. RNG though is a factor.

the OT and I collapsed back to door area, rinse and repeat. Minimal dps during bone storm didn't threaten our kill time too badly.

our team is mostly 264 geared already FWIW
rocket
Maintankadonor

Postby Avengeance » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:32 pm

I just ignore the fires while tanking boss, they seem to tick like 5k, nothing even remotely threatening. Although when I am bored I do pretend I have to move away from it.
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Postby Belloc » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:15 pm

A few things that will be an extreme survivability increase: Solo tank, OT DPS. Boss dies quicker, less chance of tank death (which shouldn't be the issue in the first place). Alternatively, have OT heal. With 4 healers, no one should ever die.

Use cooldowns on spiked people. BoPs are great for the physical damage, but fire CAN hit the spiked targets.

Finally, make sure everyone learns how distance affects bone storm damage. The closer to the boss you are, the more damage you take. Once you get a certain distance away, the damage stops dropping (at least, for the most part). Find out what the minimum distance that players need to run is... and then have them run that distance. Don't stack melee DPS on your bone spikes during bone storm.

Tanks should always be away from your raid during the bone storms.

This fight is hard. In fact, I'd say that it's harder than most of the heroic bosses in there (on 10-man).
Belloc

Postby ydraw » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:17 pm

Bump because we still can't kill this asshole despite being 7/12 now lol.

Really though I think our problem is people are just too slow at running away from bonestorm, unless theres some other reason our mages and warlocks are going from 100% hp to dead in less than 2 seconds.
ydraw

Postby Rhiannon » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:02 pm

Bonestorm ticks for 10k+ only if you're inside his hitbox, so yes, they're being too slow to move. With portals and blink that's not really excusable.
Rhiannon

Postby Jefferson » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:43 pm

ydraw wrote:Bump because we still can't kill this asshole despite being 7/12 now lol.

Really though I think our problem is people are just too slow at running away from bonestorm, unless theres some other reason our mages and warlocks are going from 100% hp to dead in less than 2 seconds.

This may sound kind of silly, but the way we got it was by me just calling out on vent who he was heading towards during the bonestorms so that they could start running preemptively. Mages and locks both port away though, so there's really not much excuse for them getting hit more than once. Our lock runs with soul-link, so that helps him a bunch, and our enh shaman throws a shield on during the bonestorms. This fight still has a lot more RNG to it than I like, but oh well. Can't hurt to call stuff out on vent either way, it's not like there's anything for us to do during bonestorm anymore now that the threat doesn't reset.
Jefferson

Postby chinoquezada » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:25 pm

ydraw wrote:Bump because we still can't kill this asshole despite being 7/12 now lol.

Have your holy and prot paladins use DS/DG during the bonestorm phase once health starts dipping low.
chinoquezada

Postby Belloc » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:16 pm

Here's the strategy that got us our kill.

First, assign 3 spots for your 3 healers and ranged(yes, 3 heal it). Put your best healer in the middle, where Marrowgar spawns. Put your other two on the braziers/fire pits near the entrance doorway. Mix your ranged in amongst these spots.

Tank Marrowgar near a ramp. Have players run to their positions shortly before the storm starts. This way, they won't get hurt too badly by the initial bone storm ticks.

If you use two tanks (I suggest not doing so), assign each tank a ramp, and have each tank run up those ramps during bone storm. Marrowgar has to path up and around to reach the tank, and he will choose these targets frequently. In other words, no one else will take much bone storm damage while he's up there. Make sure the off tank gets back to the boss before the storm finishes... OR have the MT blow a cooldown (solo tanking is easy).

Never allow your melee to stack on a bone spike. Keeping spread out is key.
Belloc

Postby superworm » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:11 pm

Belloc wrote:A few things that will be an extreme survivability increase: Solo tank, OT DPS. Boss dies quicker, less chance of tank death (which shouldn't be the issue in the first place). Alternatively, have OT heal. With 4 healers, no one should ever die.

Use cooldowns on spiked people. BoPs are great for the physical damage, but fire CAN hit the spiked targets.

Finally, make sure everyone learns how distance affects bone storm damage. The closer to the boss you are, the more damage you take. Once you get a certain distance away, the damage stops dropping (at least, for the most part). Find out what the minimum distance that players need to run is... and then have them run that distance. Don't stack melee DPS on your bone spikes during bone storm.

Tanks should always be away from your raid during the bone storms.

This fight is hard. In fact, I'd say that it's harder than most of the heroic bosses in there (on 10-man).

We had similar problems. Usually the first bone storm would be ok, then people will start dying in the second bone storm. Then our OT (a paladin) suggested that he go healing and I solo tank the boss. It worked out quite well. We have 2 paladin healers, 1 druid and 1 priest. I asked the paladins to beacon the druid and the priest, and spam heal during bone storm. No one dies once we switched to 4 healing the encounter. Boss damage is nothing serious even when you solo tank it, just remember that no one should ever go to the cleave range.
superworm

Postby Raivnor » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:53 am

We also only use 1 tank for this fight, letting my DK OT go dps. We use the ramp strategy with one other addition. While the two tanks go to the ramp area, we also have our ret pally go to the entrance to the room and stand near the door. Marrowgar will preferentially choose the target that is farthest way from him, so when he's done munching on the tanks he is much more likely to choose the ret pally than the targets in the circle. In a whole fight he generally only gets on the healers and ranged once or twice. This allowed full dps time on the spikes for the ranged and decreased the healing significantly.
Raivnor

Postby superworm » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:59 am

Raivnor wrote:We also only use 1 tank for this fight, letting my DK OT go dps. We use the ramp strategy with one other addition. While the two tanks go to the ramp area, we also have our ret pally go to the entrance to the room and stand near the door. Marrowgar will preferentially choose the target that is farthest way from him, so when he's done munching on the tanks he is much more likely to choose the ret pally than the targets in the circle. In a whole fight he generally only gets on the healers and ranged once or twice. This allowed full dps time on the spikes for the ranged and decreased the healing significantly.

Now we are doing another strategy. It seems that during the whirlwind the boss won't choose one within some distance unless there are no one being out of that particular distance. I can't say clearly what's that distance, but if we have 3 people standing around the large circle and other members staying inside the small circle, the boss generally doesn't whirlwind to the middle at all. The trick here is that when the boss changes position and the main party is dodging fire, they should try to get closer to the boss, rather than farther. As long as they stay out of the red circle of the boss, they should be quite safe.
superworm

Next

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel