[25H] Sindragosa

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [25H] Sindragosa

Postby Khar » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:21 am

We just started attempts on this yesterday. Only got a few in, but was using my normal gear + ony ring just to get a feel for the melee damage. I'll try around 500 FrR tonight buffed, see how that does. We're still not sure on positioning for p1 and 2 though, where did you guys find best to tank her? We've been having the ice tombs on the stairs so far, 2 rows, and have tried tanking her both on the very bottom of the stairs to the far left (facing up the stairs) and on the large bottom part area (facing left, body parallel to the stairs), but we're not entirely sure if either provide enough room for the ranged. On normal we tank farther up her on the stairs until p3, then we move to the bottom area, but we assumed that wouldn't quite work here, due to the ranged needing more room than just the stairs to spread out in.
US Kel'thuzad
Aklan - 80 Prot Pally
Khar

Postby Meloree » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:22 am

Ulrik wrote:So I put on the set with 485 FR I'm normally doing 10 mode easy/hard in and got spammed with 40k hits. How are you wearing any FR without dying 30 sec in from physical?

We tried again and I just threw on full armor set to not die in p1. Guess I'll hope CD's are enough to rng through breaths. Or perhaps go full armor with just the FR ring and boots? There's no boosted armor boots and only one armor ring (that I don't have) so I'm loosing the least there.

Your FrR set could probably stand to have more armor in it. I certainly wasn't taking 40k hits in FrR gear, although I was down to ~36k raidbuffed armor.

Khar wrote:We're still not sure on positioning for p1 and 2 though, where did you guys find best to tank her?

We tank her right where she lands. The whole raid runs through (mounted before she manages to land) and sets up in the alcove at the back. We found it convenient to shrink the room so that some of our raid-members didn't run further than they have to. It's staggering how far people think 10 yards is.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Mikerk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:09 pm

Surprised I haven't seen anyone mention Titanium Frostguard Ring as an alternative to the onyxia rings

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43582
Mikerk

Postby Ulrik » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:47 pm

Because of the 700(232)/800(245) armor that the Onyx rings come with. Plus it may not necessarily be about maxing FR. I intend to try an Armor & 340+ set next time replacing belt, boots, and flask, with aura of course. If we then get stable consistent attempts to P3 I'll worry about going to the next threshold of 510 or not which is gonna drop loads of armor. So far it's been 2 pulls, 2 wipes and reset to normal. :?
Ulrik

Postby Thels » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:41 am

Ulrik wrote:Because of the 700(232)/800(245) armor that the Onyx rings come with.

In addition, they come with good chunks of defense, which might help you stay crit immune, which is definitely required, and can be a bit of a nuisance without any defense on the other frost items.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Mikerk » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:45 am

Ulrik wrote:Because of the 700(232)/800(245) armor that the Onyx rings come with. Plus it may not necessarily be about maxing FR. I intend to try an Armor & 340+ set next time replacing belt, boots, and flask, with aura of course. If we then get stable consistent attempts to P3 I'll worry about going to the next threshold of 510 or not which is gonna drop loads of armor. So far it's been 2 pulls, 2 wipes and reset to normal. :?

I definitely agree that the Onyxia rings are better, but sometimes RNG doesn't always agree lol
Mikerk

Postby inthedrops » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:09 am

Haven't killed this yet but blew some attempts on her last night. We don't last very long in P3 yet but it's not been a tank surviving issue. It's been people learning exactly where to drop the ice tombs.

Both tanks are in the 340-400 buffed FrR range (don't recall exact numbers right now). I was at 58K buffed health and the other tank (Warrior) was at 59K. My armor was about 31k+ unbuffed (again, forgot to look at numbers when buffed). We made sure to gear for expertise as much as possible as well.

We opted to not go FrR heavy since the frost damage is predictable and can be managed with cooldowns.

We'll see what happens as we stay in P2 longer, and if high stack frost damage starts owning us.

Thanks for all the advice so far in this thread. I did initially start out with a much higher FrR set but backed it down a notch after feeling that the frost damage was too much of a joke and the melee was not.

I'm still torn between which is right. I think I need more P3 experience.

One tip I do have, which I think was helpful...
The warrior was tanking all the way to 35% transition. But usually by then he's spent all of his cooldowns. At the end of the night we started having me taunt whenever the timing was right (right after the last breath or blast) before he transitioned to P3. The reason is that I have all of my cooldowns available and can start using them, and it buys the warrior a few second to let his cooldowns come back up.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Khar » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:22 am

Yeah the melee damage is certainly no joke. We still haven't seen many phases far into p3, always end up with 4+ dead due to people being stupid with ice tombs in p2, but with just under 400 FrR buffed I was able to survive the frost breaths in p3 after my OT died, when I still had 8ish stacks of mystic or so, which tells me it's enough FrR... but need to see more of that phase still to be sure.
US Kel'thuzad
Aklan - 80 Prot Pally
Khar

Postby Felyndiia » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:20 am

It seems like everybody thinks it's impossible to tank her without fr gear, but that's no true. I didn't use any piece of fr gear on every kill. The breath won't kill you without any cd at 1 or 2 stacks. Imho the regular dmg is a very big problem, because of all these worst case situations like "Paladin 1 in the tomb, Paladin 2 gets the mark and 2 Restodroods with debuff" are extremly dangerous, too.
The key is to take the breath with very low stacks. That means, you don't want to taunt right after the last breath but right before the next one. You're going to survive it without ad procc. After ad proccs or when you aren't at full health while she's breathing, I start to chain cds on the breaths (glyphed salv, cancelled ds, ps) and use dp on other critical situations.
Felyndiia

Postby inthedrops » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:21 pm

We finally got the kill tonight. Tanks are definitely at risk of dieing at all times. I think key to this fight for myself and the other tank was to manage our cooldowns as best as we possibly could. Occasionally we would require external cooldowns from healers. We'd always call out before we taunted and let them know that we needed one on taunt transition. We had guardian spirits. Paladins were there for backups in the case a tank stack didn't reset or something stupid. Although we only had to use sac once in all of the attempts we did recently.

Gear was as described above, 315 base FrR with no buffs. With that much FrR, the breaths themselves won't kill you. It'll be a highly un-resisted breath followed by a melee swing. That's why after tank swapping I would still use a cooldown for each Frost Breath. Basically I saved my cooldowns for a Frost Breath. This avoided the FrR + instant Melee issue.

I think this is one of my favorite fights to tank so far.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Gaffer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:26 am

I didn't realize people were stacking Frost Resist so high for this encounter. On our first kill (marks stacked too high on the huge Frost Breaths at the end), I wore 299 unbuffed FrR (http://www.wowhead.com/?profile=20823446) and didn't have any issues dying early. Our warrior tank wore the same (though, unfortunately, we lost 2-3 attempts from him getting spiked). I've been forced into healing it the last two weeks and we've used a Feral Druid (at the 299 mark, once at 0 because he forgot to swap sets).

Could anyone wearing insane Frost Resist pass some links to their combat log parses so I can compare our incoming damage? Preferably kills, but anything with some decent phase 2 time would be cool.
Gaffer

Postby inthedrops » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:39 am

Gaffer wrote:Could anyone wearing insane Frost Resist pass some links to their combat log parses so I can compare our incoming damage? Preferably kills, but anything with some decent phase 2 time would be cool.

Not insane FR, only 315. But I am also interested in comparing. This is the kill from last night: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/tfbyrqt9pq2vsq63/?s=5487&e=6062
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Dravan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:07 am

We also found the same, at first we were stacking up to 550 FR buffed but ended up dropping down to around 400 FR as it was gimping the tanks too much. Put bluntly the main danger to the tanks in this fight is not the breaths, these are easily managed with CDs (we had a tank survive a breath with 10 stacks at one point) but the melee damage is just insane. However we also found the paladin tanks had a lot more survivability on this fight as oppose to warriors.

Couple of pointers I would like to add (especially for healers as I was healing on our kill, WTB more holy paladins):

- Firstly, make sure holy paladins put their beacon on the tank and heal the raid with HL spam. Obviously in P3 you need to be careful with beacon LoS.

- Next, make sure both tanks are on the same side. We did use a tactic for some time where the tanks stood at different ends of the boss, but this just led to huge healing LoS problem.

- Make sure the tank healers are only resetting when the tomb is near the tanks. Make sure they are stood in such a way that they can heal the tank and still be out of LoS of the boss.

- We did it with 8 healers in the end, though one of the tank healers was offline for most the kill. I'd definately recommend 7 healers though, with at least 2 tank healers (preferably 3).

- Finally for the air phase, its possible to have people pair up with the tombs and place them in a triangle shape. If they are close enough you can then aoe them down, thus making the extra tomb trivial.

- Oh and watch your melee to make sure they aren't causing parries on the boss without realising. We had tanks killed in under a second a couple of times because of this.

Hope there is some helpful stuff their especially from a healing POV.
Dravan

Postby chinoquezada » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:18 am

Next Monday my guild is attempting Sindragosa25 HM and this is what I plan to wear:
http://www.wowhead.com/?profile=20993552

Please critique.

I'll be the 2nd tank for P3 and we are doing the 180 degree tank swap strat.

Thx
chinoquezada

Postby Xfighter » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:07 pm

Meloree wrote:All of them. And the enchants. And a resist flask.

Heroic frost breath starts at ~65k.

Able to get a chardev link of the set or something of the sort? Having a hard time finding the right balance of gear/gems/chants etc to get the stats you say you're getting =P
Xfighter

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel