Remove Advertisements

[25H] Sindragosa

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25H] Sindragosa

Postby Meloree » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:13 am

Believe it or not (I didn't, and I was there), perhaps the hardest part of this fight is in teaching people what "line of sight" means. It turns out, quite a lot of people were getting hit by frost bombs on normal mode, and nobody ever noticed. In hard mode, frost bombs will one-shot you.

The major change to the fights mechanics is that unchained magic's backlash effect explodes in a 20yard radius. Ranged and healers must move out with it. For p3, we just instructed casters with unchained magic to cease casting. Healers used their best judgement. We found that P3 was almost the easiest phase of the fight. Simply getting to P3 with a full raid took a lot of attempts, but P3 differs very little from normal mode. Damage is higher, yes, but the mechanics and strategy are the same. This may be because we've always had a conservative P3 plan - where ranged reset on every iceblock, and melee kill every iceblock - forcing stack resets, because I don't trust them.

The critical components of this fight are: DPS Discipline, Healer awesomeness, and learning how to LoS the Frost Bombs. You will be surprised how many people fail at it - people that you thought were succeeding.

Tank tips:
I wore 620 frost resist. I was down at 36k raidbuffed armor, and around 40% post-chill avoidance, with 58.5k raidbuffed health. Do not be fooled by P1. The melee damage is intense, and dangerous, and you will be tempted to drop frost resist for avoidance and armor. This is probably a mistake. If your healers are competent, what will kill you in P3 is Frost Breath or Blistering Cold with large Mystic Buffet stacks (say, if your co-tank gets Ice Tombed right after resetting his stacks). We chose not to have tanks run out of Blistering cold, in order to keep boss position more stable. This might not be optimal - but again, with high frost resist, you can think of Frost Breath and Blistering Cold as relaxing breaks from the high-damage phase of the fight. The gearset I chose was enough to reliably prevent 2-shots, even including frost aura/chilled stacks, although not by much. It was also enough to ensure that eating a Frost Breath with no cooldown and 10-stack of Mystic Buffet would not kill me, allowing me to use cooldowns for the dreaded "double paladin" unchained magic, instead.

Other tips:
If you're a raid leader, try to choose your "zerg moment" in advance. We zerged with 3 million health left. This was very conservative, but we were ahead of enrage, everything was very controlled, and I didn't want to have someone with Unchained Magic start zerging and wipe the raid. 3 million health, though (around 7%) goes away in about 15 seconds once you start zerging, it's tough for anyone to misjudge in that time.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Re: [25H] Sindragosa

Postby Blitzago » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:15 am

Im just curious what resist pieces you used to reach 620? or is that a mistype.

Im currently using the chest boots and belt I believe for normal and gonna start learning this fight on heroic this week.
Blitzago

Postby Meloree » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:27 pm

All of them. And the enchants. And a resist flask.

Heroic frost breath starts at ~65k.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Roots » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:29 pm

without LW bracer chant right? 620 (490+aura) sounds like without, but I don't recall the exact numbers on the crafted
Roots

Postby Blitzago » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:11 pm

I cant figure out a way to get up to 620 resist while still staying over the 5.6% cap.

I'm putting a char dev together with belt boots chest ring, is there any more frost resist pieces im missing? and what enchants.
Blitzago

Postby Meloree » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:05 pm

Blitzago wrote:I cant figure out a way to get up to 620 resist while still staying over the 5.6% cap.

I'm putting a char dev together with belt boots chest ring, is there any more frost resist pieces im missing? and what enchants.

Onyxia hat has 10 frost resist. I stuck a magic damage meta and a FrR enchant on that.

EDIT: suck, stuck. One letter, so much potential for humor.
Last edited by Meloree on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Blitzago » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:32 pm

Think it would be possible with 560 frost resist? I assume so, since 60 shouldnt make that much of a difference, this is all id have access to right now, unless I get lucky with the helm/ring from ony. That is a minimum of 40% resist with average of 50% or so, atleast from what EJ says.
Blitzago

Postby Steve » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:37 pm

I can reliably run out on blistering cold without moving Sindragosa. I use the range check on Judgement. I run out on Sindragosa just beyond Judgement's range, and then start running back in when the blistering cold is about 3/4-7/8 of the way through. It's a bit tricky and if you can complete the encounter without running out on blistering cold at all that's even better insofar as it will be more reliable.

But if your healers aren't quite up to the level of Meloree's (as is likely) you might be able to hone this particularly trick in your normal attempts and be sufficiently skilled at it to bust it out for heroic Sindragosa.
Steve

Postby Trase » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:01 pm

Blitzago wrote:Think it would be possible with 560 frost resist? I assume so, since 60 shouldnt make that much of a difference, this is all id have access to right now, unless I get lucky with the helm/ring from ony. That is a minimum of 40% resist with average of 50% or so, atleast from what EJ says.

I wore 331 FrR during our first kill and was seeing fairly regular 50% resists and a few full resists. Your mileage may vary, but at least two pieces of the FrR plate would go a long way to extending your survival.
Trase <Phoenix> - Greymane US
Trase

Postby Roots » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:23 pm

Oh, Onyxia armor ring too. Loves me some resist.
Roots

Postby Meloree » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:43 pm

Trase wrote:
Blitzago wrote:Think it would be possible with 560 frost resist? I assume so, since 60 shouldnt make that much of a difference, this is all id have access to right now, unless I get lucky with the helm/ring from ony. That is a minimum of 40% resist with average of 50% or so, atleast from what EJ says.

I wore 331 FrR during our first kill and was seeing fairly regular 50% resists and a few full resists. Your mileage may vary, but at least two pieces of the FrR plate would go a long way to extending your survival.

Yeah, it's certainly doable with less. It's just that when I mathed it out, the critical failure point looked like P3 mystic buffet/unchained healer crap, and stacking FrR seemed to deal with that best. Threat is a total nonissue, and that's the biggest thing I gave up to stack more FrR. A little bit of armor/stam/avoidance, and a lot of threat was the trade.

510 is the guaranteed minimum 40% resist threshold, and I think I'd recommend stacking at least that high.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Trase » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:53 pm

Meloree wrote:
Trase wrote:

Yeah, it's certainly doable with less. It's just that when I mathed it out, the critical failure point looked like P3 mystic buffet/unchained healer crap, and stacking FrR seemed to deal with that best. Threat is a total nonissue, and that's the biggest thing I gave up to stack more FrR. A little bit of armor/stam/avoidance, and a lot of threat was the trade.

510 is the guaranteed minimum 40% resist threshold, and I think I'd recommend stacking at least that high.

Indeed. By all means, stack as much FrR as you can reasonably afford without making yourself critically vulnerable. I was just offering a personal point of reference. :D
Trase <Phoenix> - Greymane US
Trase

Postby Sitar » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:32 am

Don't you take really higher melee hits while going with FrR ? During our trys we found that our MT was getting hit sometimes for like 37k with melee hits and i wondered if it would be really worth it while going for FrR.
Sitar

Postby Boyfriend » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:18 am

Sitar wrote:Don't you take really higher melee hits while going with FrR ? During our trys we found that our MT was getting hit sometimes for like 37k with melee hits and i wondered if it would be really worth it while going for FrR.

Without FrR the Frost Breaths in P3 will eat you alive, you might very well get to P3 but what's the point if you'll just get splatted in P3.
The overall healing requirement in P3 is also larger than P1 so anything to the effect of 'make P1 easier but P3 harder' is not a good idea in my view. (Though you might not need quite as much frost resistance)
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Midoriko » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:29 am

I used only crafted FR boots and belt because after wiping on it for one night, i noticed melee swings are more dangerous than frost breaths. Since we used 8 healers, tank healers getting unchained magic was not a problem, so i could save CDs for breaths with high stacks if other tank gets tombed or cant reset mystic buffet for some reason. Another reason for not using frost resist chest is that emblem chest is the only piece i have with expertise(Ofc i have many pieces with expertise but the only one i can use without sacrificing EH). Sindragosa has parry haste enabled and when i looked at logs, i have seen 4 parry hasted unavoided hits in a row. 4x 25-30k hits with 1.2 sec speed, taking roughly 120k damage from only melee swings in less than 5 secs is insane.
Midoriko

Next

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel