Remove Advertisements

Prot palladin LoH strat for dreamwalker, does it exist.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Prot palladin LoH strat for dreamwalker, does it exist.

Postby Vlad » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:36 am

Unsure if I should post this in this forum or the ICC specific one but if I posted it in the other I have a feeling this thread would be locked and Id be sent a link to a dreamwalker thread that doesn't tell me this info.

My gm asked me to look this up so I am, apparently there is a strat in which a protection paladin can jump though portals gain a massive stack pop avenging wrath+ a health gaining trinket and then LoH the boss for an unreasonably large amount.

Just wondering as anyone else heard of this strat, how does it work out, is it worth it etc the usual.
Vlad

Re: Prot palladin LoH strat for dreamwalker, does it exist.

Postby Chicken » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:58 am

I'd guess that counts on the early parts of the encounter being fairly dead, so take first portal, fly along with your standard healers, get some nice stacks, make a Holy Priest cast Guardian Spirit, pop Avenging Wrath, a health increasing trinket and go for a nightmare seed while you're at it and voila, big heal. Going past that is unlikely to be effective, while the Lay on Hands provides a very nice looking big healing spike, if you'd be consistently taking all portals to keep your stack high you'd get better results from just getting another healer to do so.

I still wouldn't think it's wise though, even without the portal but the rest of the things I mentioned above you can manage over 100k non-crit with Lay on Hands, and that's a nice boost without interfering with anything else. And despite that sounding high it's still a drop in the bucket compared to what you actually need to heal. She has 16 million health to heal on 25-man, so if you do 100k that's less than one percent of total health needed to heal. Even if you were to boost that amount of by say 7-8 stacks from one portal, you'd just end up healing barely more than one percent, and even if you were to take every single portal you'd have a hard time getting past 2% of her health in a single LoH.

In the end the LoH a Prot Paladin can give is nice and helps a bit with the healing required, but focusing on improving it is futile. The actual healers will still be where most of the healing comes from, and they should easily be managing 6-7 times as much healing as you are with a specific focus on maximizing LoH.
Chicken

Postby baleogthefierce » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:12 am

A LoH crit is ~3 times more than a Holy Light crit at current progression HP/SP levels.

So in 4.5 seconds a Holy Paladin with equal stacks of the buff can match your healing output from LoH, don't waste a raid spot by not tanking. Just hit the boss with your LoH combined with Avenging Wrath (and hopefully Guardian Spirit) and forget about it.
baleogthefierce

Postby Aubade » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:28 pm

baleogthefierce wrote:A LoH crit is ~3 times more than a Holy Light crit at current progression HP/SP levels.

So in 4.5 seconds a Holy Paladin with equal stacks of the buff can match your healing output from LoH, don't waste a raid spot by not tanking. Just hit the boss with your LoH combined with Avenging Wrath (and hopefully Guardian Spirit) and forget about it.

This. I've been using it while my guild Pop's Hero (Normally after the 3rd-4th Portal spawn)
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby guillex » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:22 am

Vlad wrote:Unsure if I should post this in this forum or the ICC specific one but if I posted it in the other I have a feeling this thread would be locked and Id be sent a link to a dreamwalker thread that doesn't tell me this info.

The point isn't to direct you to a thread that doesn't have information; the point is to continue an existing discussion about a boss, asking any questions related to that encounter in that thread.

Just trying to keep the clutter down. You may find this thread merged with the Dreamwalker one.

edit: Actually, there's a discussion about healers for 25man Valithria found here:
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... =viewtopic

That would probably be a really good place to talk about healing strats, including a protadin LoH strat.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel