Remove Advertisements

[10] Arthas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Arthas

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:59 am

We don't aoe them. We let them blow up on people. HOPEFULLY the bulk of them land on a tank, but if one or two hit the raid, it isn't that much of a deal with the added health buff.

This method, however, only works for us when we use a paladin tank. We tried it with a DK tank and the guy just went down way too fast. A paladin at least has AD and can holy wrath the adds when they're closer to the ground.

(We typically lack appropriate classes to aoe them down with.)

Edit: We've also never ONCE managed a kill by actually aoeing the spirits. We always let them blow up.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:06 am

In my previous guild, I was pretty good at taunting and blowing up the adds by myself. In my current guild, we let most of the adds blow up on the raid.

There's a big circle in the middle of the platform. Tank LK right in the middle and have everyone spread around the circle. The adds should naturally disperse somewhat equally and the damage will be healable.
Belloc

Postby smiter » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:34 pm

so excited get to tank this for the first time tonight! even it if is only normal
smiter

Postby Flex » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:10 pm

Belloc wrote:There's a big circle in the middle of the platform. Tank LK right in the middle and have everyone spread around the circle. The adds should naturally disperse somewhat equally and the damage will be healable.

Genius. This should work for us and give much better visual notification for the soul harvest as well and allows easier handling of defiles.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:05 am

Really? And when the adds spawn on top of his head and drop down (usually headed for the healers), don't you get a massive explosion on top of the raid?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Shathus » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:31 am

I just tank him on one end of the gray circle thingy, then when he starts spawning Vile Spirits, kite him across the circle to the other side (and have people shift as well). It puts some distance between you and the spirits so that

A) dps have a little extra time to finish off ones they were killing in the air
B) more will go across frost traps/totems and/or have a little extra kite time
C) the extra time gives myself and the other tank more time to taunt and soak spirits going for everyone else.

It's not always fool proof, but it's worked on our kills and doesn't affect dealing with defile much, just move to a different end of the circle if you have to and/or if it gets dropped in the center of the room, no one cares.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:32 am

Nikachelle wrote:Really? And when the adds spawn on top of his head and drop down (usually headed for the healers), don't you get a massive explosion on top of the raid?

The Vile Spirit Explosion range is only 5 yards and there's enough room to spread out.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Belloc » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:13 am

Nikachelle wrote:Really? And when the adds spawn on top of his head and drop down (usually headed for the healers), don't you get a massive explosion on top of the raid?

The adds don't all become active at once. If the whole raid is spread around the circle, the adds will naturally choose different people and the explosions will be spread out in distance and time.

We also tank any remaining raging spirits on Tirion, since he is a part of the circle. Once the spirits are dead, adds can be taunted to that position, just to make it a little easier, but it's all the same. Everyone is spread out, the damage becomes easy.
Belloc

Postby Flex » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:33 pm

One shot it with the "eat it" strategy. Thanks guys.
Flex

Postby smiter » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:28 am

Last night was first real attempts in my new raid group on my hunter...been running with this group for about a month now, two guilds took top players and formed an ICC progression group. Took us a bit to get Sindy down due to shcheduling issues and not having exactly the same group every night (have a few standby people) but main group was on last night and managed to get to 50% after a few attempts. First time 8 of the 10 people have ever seen the fight so not so bad. Our 50% attempt ended up with just a bad luck defile spawning on the edge of platform while trying to take out the valk at the same spot and instantly the defile was the size of the whole platform, other than that though was very clean so fairly confident only a few more nights of practice and we will have it down.

Just a question for others though, In phase 1 we are focusing all dps on LK and using the plauge to kill the horrors at the 1.5 transistion we often have 1 sometimes even 2 horrors up but they seem to drop almost instantly once the plauge ticks on them and we get them positioned on the outer platform then the OT picks up a raging spirt. So its not really an issue but just wanted to ask if any thinks this could be hampering us in anyway. We also always seem to have the 3rd raging spirit at around 75% health at start of Phase 2 and have to focus on him and group up on center for valk and worry about defile simultaneously...gets a bit hectic if people are not on their A-game.
smiter

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:47 am

smiter wrote:Just a question for others though, In phase 1 we are focusing all dps on LK and using the plauge to kill the horrors at the 1.5 transistion we often have 1 sometimes even 2 horrors up but they seem to drop almost instantly once the plauge ticks on them and we get them positioned on the outer platform then the OT picks up a raging spirt. So its not really an issue but just wanted to ask if any thinks this could be hampering us in anyway. We also always seem to have the 3rd raging spirit at around 75% health at start of Phase 2 and have to focus on him and group up on center for valk and worry about defile simultaneously...gets a bit hectic if people are not on their A-game.

If plagues are being run to and dispelled on the adds correctly, then you don't need any additional DPS on adds at all. At 20 stacks, the plague does about 1M damage per tick, which will melt the horrors.

3rd Raging spirit at 75% seems a little high -- all dps should be focused on the spirits, with no one padding meters on the spawns, yes?

The valk/defile clump/spread out dance just takes practice. In 10M there's only one valk so the clump isn't a huge issue. If your OT is providing stuns, you can always take both LK and the remaining spirit (will be easier to make sure it's pointed away from the raid at all times) to free up the OT.

The second valk/defile is the most dangerous one, because that's the cycle that sometimes gets inverted. You'll usually get valks, then defile. On the second cycle, sometimes you'll get defile then valks. Expecting one and getting the other is always fun.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:06 am

smiter wrote:Last night was first real attempts in my new raid group on my hunter...been running with this group for about a month now, two guilds took top players and formed an ICC progression group. Took us a bit to get Sindy down due to shcheduling issues and not having exactly the same group every night (have a few standby people) but main group was on last night and managed to get to 50% after a few attempts. First time 8 of the 10 people have ever seen the fight so not so bad. Our 50% attempt ended up with just a bad luck defile spawning on the edge of platform while trying to take out the valk at the same spot and instantly the defile was the size of the whole platform, other than that though was very clean so fairly confident only a few more nights of practice and we will have it down.

Just a question for others though, In phase 1 we are focusing all dps on LK and using the plauge to kill the horrors at the 1.5 transistion we often have 1 sometimes even 2 horrors up but they seem to drop almost instantly once the plauge ticks on them and we get them positioned on the outer platform then the OT picks up a raging spirt. So its not really an issue but just wanted to ask if any thinks this could be hampering us in anyway. We also always seem to have the 3rd raging spirit at around 75% health at start of Phase 2 and have to focus on him and group up on center for valk and worry about defile simultaneously...gets a bit hectic if people are not on their A-game.

Sounds like everyone is doing everything right.. except that the DPS is a bit low. Are you stacking the raging spirits in one spot when there is more than one up? If not, do that... splash damage is huge.

Get your players to up the DPS a bit and you should be fine.
Belloc

Postby smiter » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:16 pm

No we are not stacking the spirts in the transition phase. Tanks have been picking them up wherever than can get them and just turning away from raid. Doesn't seem to take us long to burn the carryover into phase 2. I doubt our DPS is an issue according to recount we seem to have about the following (off top of my head so don't quote the numbers) and it seems like dps is artificially lowered during transistions and phase 2 with all the moving around and positioning.

1.mage doing about 8.5K (pushes 13K during phase 1)
2.DK doing 8K (12.5ish during phase 1)
3. Me/hunter about 8K (13k phase 1)
4. shaman about 7K
5. lock 6.8K
6.pally tank about 4.5k
7.warrior tank about 4k

so overall RDPS seems to be about 50K and higher on single target burning.
smiter

Postby Zalaria » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:31 pm

Those numbers are higher than my usual run, and we got our first LK10 kill a couple weekends ago. The only major difference is I single-tanked it instead of your dual-tank, but you have more dps per player than we did so you should be fine. Just keep practicing and get used to the defile/valkyr dance.

When we got a really bad defile like that our raid leader liked to say "we're defucked."
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby smiter » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:36 pm

Zalaria wrote:Those numbers are higher than my usual run, and we got our first LK10 kill a couple weekends ago. The only major difference is I single-tanked it instead of your dual-tank, but you have more dps per player than we did so you should be fine. Just keep practicing and get used to the defile/valkyr dance.

When we got a really bad defile like that our raid leader liked to say "we're defucked."

HAHA totally using that one next run!

But yea I know what you mean our best attempt was going great, textbook like, but then oops defile spawns right under everyone at once and no one had time to even see it before we were all dead and it was right on the valk too. I guess in hindsight the tree it was put on should have been more toward the center of the platform since it wasn't as if she was helping take down the valk and her raid heals could hit us without being stacked on the valk with us. Each attempt before that one had been getting better and better but after that one they started getting sloppier (at this point we were a solid 3 hours into it and I am pretty sure it was normal raid fatigue aka too many beers) Joint RL's decided to call it. But we did vote to extend the lockout until we get it down.
smiter

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel