Remove Advertisements

[10] Arthas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Arthas

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri May 21, 2010 11:03 am

Shathus wrote:I would assume the biggest concern would be in p2/3 if a Val'kyre picks up a healer or 1 gets sucked into Frostmourne. he have an ele shaman who I thought could perhaps help out with a few heals until said healer is back in the game.

Ditto what Belloc said. Draw Soul will take the healer out of the game for 30 seconds or so; valks + infest + soul reaper might be too much to handle if your healers aren't geared to the teeth; if your dps isn't hitting the requirements with the 15% buff, odds are your healers won't be able to handle solo healing large swathes of the fight unless your .5 healer is really very good.

I would drop a second tank before the 3rd healer (we've done Arthas with one tank on more than one occasion due to wonky ass raid comps), but again, non-standard comps and strats are a pretty bad idea until you've got a firm handle on the fight as a whole.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Galektra » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:42 am

We are starting our LK push, and currently working on phase 3. My question though is about phase 2, and the trouble I’m having trouble holding aggro with all the silences. I can’t use the majority of my attacks a lot of the time, and I also frequently can’t taunt when I need to. I’m just over 5.5k GS, and the majority of my guild is closer to 6k.

Our MT (DK) usually ends up helping me after he gets cleansed, and I try to take them off him when I can so he is ready to MT P3. We talked about switching roles, so I tank the adds in phase 1. Is that the answer, or should we just keep like we are?
Galektra

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:43 am

What is your group makeup? On our kill we had a ret paladin who specifically cleansed both of us tanks (two paladins) to make sure we were never silenced.

If you lack a ret to do so, make sure a priest is doing it at all times.

As a note... you shouldn't be getting silenced "all the time". The Lich King doesn't silence. Only the adds left over from phase changes do. Make sure those go down as a priority (but they don't take priority over a valkyr.)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Galektra » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:07 am

I should've been more specific, and mentioned that this is tanking the Raging Spirits in phase 2. So their silence can be dispelled/cleansed?
Galektra

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:09 am

Galektra wrote:I should've been more specific, and mentioned that this is tanking the Raging Spirits in phase 2. So their silence can be dispelled/cleansed?

Darn tootin'. Obviously you can't do it to yourself when you're silenced. But anyone that can cleanse magic can get rid of it from you.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:06 am

Nikachelle wrote:What is your group makeup? On our kill we had a ret paladin who specifically cleansed both of us tanks (two paladins) to make sure we were never silenced.

Theres not much point having both tanks standing in front of the mobs taking even more damage.
If you run with 2x protpallys, just have one cleansing the other, and let the dps do some damage.
Treck

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:09 am

Treck wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:What is your group makeup? On our kill we had a ret paladin who specifically cleansed both of us tanks (two paladins) to make sure we were never silenced.

Theres not much point having both tanks standing in front of the mobs taking even more damage.
If you run with 2x protpallys, just have one cleansing the other, and let the dps do some damage.

Yeah we just had one tank tanking the spirits. But there's always some accidental cross over, ie running back to the center after the phase changes. It's better to say "make sure both tanks stay cleansed" as opposed to "make sure just Tank A doesn't have that debuff and ignore everything else".
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Boyfriend » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:01 am

You can adjust to a tactic that prevents the 2nd tank from ever getting silenced.

On heroic 25 we do it somewhat like this:

Druid tanks all Spirits during 'Relentless Winter' I stand behind and afk/dispell.
When it ends, druid runs ahead of raid with the spirits to the middle of the room.
I actually stay very close to the edge just in taunt range of LK and wait.
When LK finishes casting quake I taunt, let him come to me; then when he casts infest I take him to the spirits in the middle.

This minimizes LK damage on me while healers have to run since he spends alot of time chasing me and I am absolutely never in front of any spirit, neither is anyone else except the druid whom I am dispelling.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Galektra » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:53 am

We just had our guild-first Arthas kill last night (10-man). It was the last attempt of the night after maybe 90 minutes of wipes, and only our 2nd time ever seeing phase 5.

I attribute part of the success to reading up here, so thanks :D Next week we start on hard mode.
Galektra

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:10 am

Galektra wrote:We just had our guild-first Arthas kill last night (10-man). It was the last attempt of the night after maybe 90 minutes of wipes, and only our 2nd time ever seeing phase 5.

I attribute part of the success to reading up here, so thanks :D Next week we start on hard mode.

PHASE 5!
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Argali » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:36 am

Is it the roleplay phase?
Last edited by Argali on Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Argali

Postby Boyfriend » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:37 am

Argali wrote:Is the the roleplay phase?

My guild also counts transitional phases as their own phases; so we have 5 instead of the usual 3.

Outside of the guild I talk of 3 phases.

But sometimes I get confused and talk about raging spirits in Phase 3 in guild chat and embarrass myself.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:20 am

P5 is the easy phase, its nice the valkphase isnt the last one, esp on 25man where valks are a bitch :P
Before we got LK 25man hc down, we got to P5 2 times before (with everyone alive) and saw enrage both times, then 3rd time it was just a matter of maximizing dps at the same time (And for some reason SR in P5 just doesnt do anything, since it gets chained so that he always starts casting vile spirits when the 2nd tick hits, and then hes increased rate of attack isnt really dangerous when hes not even hittin :P

And about the phases, both transition phases, while they remind of eachother, the fact that there comes another ammount of raging spirits, and more/fasterspawning frost orbs does in my head gives it a valid reason to be its own phase.
But to avoid confusion we always use "valkphase" instead of P3, then everyone understands it. If i say P5 everyone knows what phase im talking about aswell. P2 and 4 is really easy enough to get past nomatter what, its the transition between P2-> valks and P4->P5 that usually are where its challenging.
So saying that the transition between the first transition phase and P2 is a hard point, just sounds wrong.
Treck

Postby Andurin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:23 am

Boyfriend wrote:You can adjust to a tactic that prevents the 2nd tank from ever getting silenced.

On heroic 25 we do it somewhat like this:

Druid tanks all Spirits during 'Relentless Winter' I stand behind and afk/dispell.
When it ends, druid runs ahead of raid with the spirits to the middle of the room.
I actually stay very close to the edge just in taunt range of LK and wait.
When LK finishes casting quake I taunt, let him come to me; then when he casts infest I take him to the spirits in the middle.

This minimizes LK damage on me while healers have to run since he spends alot of time chasing me and I am absolutely never in front of any spirit, neither is anyone else except the druid whom I am dispelling.

That is a good idea. Gotta try that tonight to give our healers a little bit of slack.

(We do the phase shift on the right side of the throne, just near where the first pillar is)

After the phase shift, I switch from tanking the adds ghouls and horrors to tanking the lich king. During the shift I position myself and anything undead left alive, about 5 yards in front of my co-tank (in case of horror, it will be facing to the edge and any shockwave is trown into the abyss), while the warrior stands on the edge near the position where the pillar stood closest to the right side of the throne. He picks up any raging spirits, and when the plague finishes off any remaining adds, I switch seals, refresh buffs on myself and poke the adds a bit.

When I have to pick up the lich king I usually run straight to the middle while the warrior runs to icelolly Tirion. This way we never cross paths and everything works perfectly.

Switching position from the normal start position helped our guild greatly. Maybe it works for others to ^^
Andurin

Postby Flex » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:49 am

We can make it pretty regularly to phase 3 now but the vile spirits are eating us alive. I believe the best we've gotten is 26%.

Current Raid Makeup
Paladin Tank - Warrior Tank
Paladin Healer - Shaman Healer - Druid Healer
SV Hunter - MK Hunter - Rogue - Ele Shaman - Fury Warrior

Every strategy I for it involves "aoeing" the spirits while they're in the air but without a shadow priest, fire mage or warlock that is rather difficult. We can kill two to three before they land but once they land it is a cluster and people start dropping.

Warrior tanks in Phase 1 and I take over the rest of the phases leaving him free to stun Valks and stuff. One suggestion we found had the free tank taunting the spirits and eating the damage.

Any suggestion on how to make this easier and what to stress to everyone during this phase?

It is also possible that I can talk the fury warrior into bringing his warlock which could potentially be very useful on the spirits.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel