Kite Tankadin on Rotface, keybind or mouseover cleanse?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Kite Tankadin on Rotface, keybind or mouseover cleanse?

Postby Tankforyou » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:43 pm

Hello,

As you can see from my title I kite the adds on Rotface. I want to speed up my cleansing of players that run to me. Not sure if I should keybind my middle mouse key for cleanse or do a mouse over cleanse.

I read something awhile back that you needed an add on for mouse over cleansing like grid, decursive or healbot. While I do use healbot I find it to bulky when I'm tanking and would rather not use it.

I'm leaning towards just keybinding cleanse. However, do folks with more experience find that mouse over is faster?

-Thanks
Tankforyou

Re: Kite Tankadin on Rotface, keybind or mouseover cleanse?

Postby Joanadark » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:56 pm

you need no addon of any kind.

make a macro:

#showtooltip
/cast [target=mouseover] Cleanse; Cleanse

Put it on your bars, and bind it to Middle Mouse Button. This will make your middle mouse button, when pressed, cleanse your mouse-over, and if you are not mousing over either a friendly player or their raid frame, it will cleanse your target.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby d503 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:07 pm

Grid + Clique are your best friends.

Check 'em out!
d503

Postby Xenix » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:16 pm

Decursive is also a good option. It gives you a small square for each raid member that will change color when they get a debuff that is cleansable. You can then click the square to cleanse it from them. (think whack-a-mole)
Kimurellia - Holy/Protection Paladin - Scions of Destiny - Eredar-US
Xenix

Postby Joanadark » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:33 pm

Xenix wrote:Decursive is also a good option. It gives you a small square for each raid member that will change color when they get a debuff that is cleansable. You can then click the square to cleanse it from them. (think whack-a-mole)

personally I think decursive is a ridiculous, unnecessary waste of screen real estate.

all you need is a raid frame capable of displaying debuffs. None of the other mods provide anything that a couple simple macros and the baseline keybinding interface can't do just as well.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Xenix » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:46 pm

Joanadark wrote:
Xenix wrote:Decursive is also a good option. It gives you a small square for each raid member that will change color when they get a debuff that is cleansable. You can then click the square to cleanse it from them. (think whack-a-mole)

personally I think decursive is a ridiculous, unnecessary waste of screen real estate.

all you need is a raid frame capable of displaying debuffs. None of the other mods provide anything that a couple simple macros and the baseline keybinding interface can't do just as well.

It all comes down to familiarity. I use decursive because I used it when I healed in BC. In terms of utility, though, I prefer it to clique and mouseover macros because I can use it easily while moving around and keeping my other abilities going with my left hand. (e.g., I can click the box to cleanse someone of frost nova while circle-strafing to dodge the lightning on Thorim, or cleanse myself of fusion punch while running the boss away from a rune of power on the ground on Steelbreaker).

It is much more difficult to do that with keybindings and/or using your raid frames (unless you have a >2 button mouse or want to bind right-click to that on your raid frames), although perfectly possible and some people such as yourself prefer to do it that way.

It also cuts down on information overload to have one tool to see only dispellable effects when you don't care about all the other things that your raid frames would be showing as well. I further find the 0.017 second minimum refresh rate to be much faster than most raid frames.

Heck, if you wanted to though, with the new scaling/spacing options, you could even put the decursive boxes in the corner of each raid frame to make them take up the same space, which would make it practically the same as using clique.
Kimurellia - Holy/Protection Paladin - Scions of Destiny - Eredar-US
Xenix

Postby d503 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:18 pm

Joanadark wrote:

One reason I like the Grid + Clique option is that it's completely customizable.

As a tankadin, I have the following abilities assigned to mouseover actions on Grid via Clique:
Righteous Defense
Cleanse
HoP
Freedom
Lay on Hands
Salv

I have heals on there as well, so it's quite flexible.

And, of course, grid is very customizable, and you can constantly add new buffs/debuffs on there.

Good stuff, and not just for healers! It's huge for raid leaders and tanks too!
d503

Postby Serv » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:19 am

I'm suprised people still used the grid+clique combination in times of VuhDo. It's a sweet looking raidframe-all-in-one-addon-of-awesomeness.
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... vuhdo.aspx
Thanks to LAVE for the sig

www.rent-a-tank.net ...:::... www.nil-gilde.net
Serv

Postby d503 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:43 am

Serv wrote:I'm suprised people still used the grid+clique combination in times of VuhDo. It's a sweet looking raidframe-all-in-one-addon-of-awesomeness.

Mostly it's reticence to set up yet another mod that I already have configured to my liking :)

If I do a complete redo, I'll consider Vuhdo.
d503

Postby Chicken » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:07 am

I've taken to actually not using my mouseover macro as of late. I've turned off the names of friendly players instead, a handy feature of that is that people's names do show over their heads when you have them targeted. I find that makes it easier to spot if they're near you or not since you can just check for the only friendly name that's headed your way.
Chicken

Postby kysu » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:36 am

d503 wrote:
Serv wrote:I'm suprised people still used the grid+clique combination in times of VuhDo. It's a sweet looking raidframe-all-in-one-addon-of-awesomeness.

Mostly it's reticence to set up yet another mod that I already have configured to my liking :)

If I do a complete redo, I'll consider Vuhdo.

I use grid /clique - I'm the only person who cleanse's the entire fight.

I've tried vuhdo and it didn't do everything I wanted it to do so I went back to grid.
kysu

Postby Rofladin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:36 am

I just use mouseover Cleansing on my raid frames. All of my healing or beneficial spells are on mouseover macros that check first for a mouseover, then for a target, then default to the highlighted cursor thing, or I can right click to cast the spell on myself (all my heals are keybound to alt modifiers, so self-casting is the only time I would click the button).

My raid frames, from Shadowed Unitframes, are down in the bottom center of the screen, just over my action bars. They're set up to show highlights for debuffs like Mutated Infection. For this fight, I keep Rotface on focus so I can see his HP, keep the big ooze targeted, and my cursor stays pretty much down in the raid frame area, so I can mouseover Cleanse. Very easy and very simple.

I've heard a lot of people swear by Grid and Clique, but I have all the functionality I could want from customizable raid frames and mouseovers. Once upon a time I used Decursive, but it's similarly obsolete, in my view.
Rofladin

Postby ydraw » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:46 pm

The major benefit of decursive is that it saves you a set of keybindings that you can then use for other things on Clique.

Left clicking decursive frames cleanses, left clicking grid casts righteous defense.
ydraw

Postby Sapria » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:54 pm

I use Clique with Pitbull raid frames, I setup a right-click cleanse just for that fight. Normally, I have Cleanse as alt-left click. But with all that running around, having to press alt is just annoying. I also setup up a keybind to remark my raid icon for when I get MI and my mark gets overwritten by DXE or DBM. My raid members have a hard time finding me sometimes, that just makes it easier.
Sapria

Postby Argali » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:00 pm

ydraw wrote:The major benefit of decursive is that it saves you a set of keybindings that you can then use for other things on Clique.

Left clicking decursive frames cleanses, left clicking grid casts righteous defense.

Decursive stops me eating Unstable Affliction.... most of the time.
Argali

Next

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel