Remove Advertisements

[10/25] Valithria Dreamwalker

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10/25] Valithria Dreamwalker

Postby Lieris » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:00 am

Did anyone try to get the achievement? If it's not raid-wide credit it sounds rather annoying to get for tanks.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Senador » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:32 am

We were having some serious issues with this encounter, and I am trying to figure out where those issues came from. I suspect that our continued issues were a combination of most of the factors combined…

First, our comp was generally poor. We initially went with 7 healers, but found ourselves being overwhelmed quite a bit. We were extremely melee heavy (I think we had 6 ranged DPS total in the raid) so it made mobility very challenging.

Slow healing. We had 7 healers, and of them 3 were assigned on the boss/portals full time. However, the boss’ health was going up awfully slowly. At one wipe at the six minute mark she was only at around 68%, and most attempts even at the 3-4 minute mark, breaking past 60 was a chore. We also lost tanks constantly due to being overwhelmed, this might also have been caused by. However, I do not know if this is due to failure to stack the buffs correctly or because the DPS was not killing Suppressors fast enough.

DPS was slow. This might have to do with poor raid comp though, as with more ranged Blazing Skeletons would be down easier and whichever side had more adds during a given wave would be killed quicker. Similarly we would have situations where one tank would have multiple “Important” adds at once (Blistering Zombies, Abominations, Archmages) and this is where tank deaths would occur.

I considered doing two smaller groups on the side, and have a “Roaming” DPS group go to whichever side had two big adds to clean up. I also had been using 2 tanks, but perhaps a third simply to handle Abominations would be a good idea, however 3 tanks and 7 DPS would be very slow to begin with; and I am considering letting a ranged DPS or two jump portals to help up their DPS (Especially AoE to keep Suppressors cleared).
Senador

Postby inthedrops » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:50 am

Senador wrote:and I am considering letting a ranged DPS or two jump portals to help up their DPS (Especially AoE to keep Suppressors cleared).

We initially had set it up to allow a mage or two to do this. After the first attempt, they quickly decided it was a huge loss in DPS time and not worth it.
Last edited by inthedrops on Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:52 am

Here's a link to the kill video. Honestly, it doesn't show much of anything not already shown in other videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWjwVst_53I
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Joanadark » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:29 pm

Did anyone try to get the achievement? If it's not raid-wide credit it sounds rather annoying to get for tanks.

The wording on the achievement is misleading. It's not individual, its a raid-wide achievement. It requires that every portal that spawns during the fight is TAKEN by SOMEONE.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Camaris » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:21 pm

Did anyone else notice that periodically the adds won't respond to taunt? I know the suppressors have no threat table, but I was noticing that sometimes the other adds weren't responding to taunt and it wasn't until I hit them that they seemed to register. Misdirect worked as expected. Our other tank noticed this as well. This was most noticable to me on the initial pull. The back leftside archmage just ignored my taunt and ran after a healer til I hit him.
Camaris

Postby inthedrops » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:27 pm

Camaris wrote:Did anyone else notice that periodically the adds won't respond to taunt? I know the suppressors have no threat table, but I was noticing that sometimes the other adds weren't responding to taunt and it wasn't until I hit them that they seemed to register. Misdirect worked as expected. Our other tank noticed this as well. This was most noticable to me on the initial pull. The back leftside archmage just ignored my taunt and ran after a healer til I hit him.

This is a guess based on my experience in there and I'm not suggesting anything otherwise. Did you by any chance not have the mob targeted when you taunted? I say this because I noticed Valithria's hitbox is friggen huge and it was a bit of a pain to select those arch mage mobs during the pull with mouse clicking.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Lieris » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:11 pm

Joanadark wrote:

The wording on the achievement is misleading. It's not individual, its a raid-wide achievement. It requires that every portal that spawns during the fight is TAKEN by SOMEONE.

Phew, thanks for clearing that up.

I solo tanked this on 10 man. It's kinda tricky and your taunt will constantly be on cooldown but it's manageable. Nice to finally have a fight in ICC that isn't insultingly easy to tank.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby semp » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:34 pm

Th worms coming out of the aboms stack a pretty damn nasty damage debuff. What is the ebst way to handle thes? Just focus fire them down ASAP? Frost nova?
semp

Postby Laz » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:39 pm

I got the achievement last night as a tank so I can confirm it is raid wide.

I didn't notice taunt fail. The worms need to be tanked and hopefully ae'd down as fast as possible. They are not the most important mob to kill though.
Laz

Postby Chicken » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:54 pm

semp wrote:Th worms coming out of the aboms stack a pretty damn nasty damage debuff. What is the ebst way to handle thes? Just focus fire them down ASAP? Frost nova?
They only have 60k health a piece, presumably less on 10-man. Give the tank a few seconds to get a slight headstart and then aoe them down. They'll die very fast then.

On another note if you're having trouble killing everything in time, the Blistering Zombies are actually fairly easy to keep kited for the entire encounter. Your kiter should be capable of dispelling himself though or you'll run in trouble with frostbolt volleys.
Chicken

Postby Khayne » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:02 pm

Semp, just kill them fast.

We did this fight with set-up of 7 healers and 2 tanks. Essentialy melees were spread on both sides. Rangeds were in front of boss.

Calls out on Blazing skeletons (SKELETON ON RIGHT!), every melee on that side and rangeds zerged those down, and Aura mastery fire resistances were used.
If abo died, worms were aoe'd by that side melees and rangeds (unless skele on other side so ranged busy).
Suppressors arriving? melees went to kill them if no skeleton up.

If a mage was up, rogues went to ruin their fun (rogues prio was skeles, mages, rest), if no skeles or suppressors rest of melee joined in on fun.

Abos we just tried to not stand in front of and let them die to aoe or if nothing else to kill.
Zombies we had prio as before abos so melee knew to run out when they died and so they weren't going to die when we were killing something more important and wouldn't be able to run (like skeles). Zombies are Chainable by dk's, good way to get out of their range was to Chain when it had 30k hp, all run out and throw HoW's out or let ranged/dots finish it.

If you're ret, feel free to spam heal with FoL's on start up and if nothing but 1 noncaster mob alive on your side. It adds up when off-spec healers help out (i did 400k+ healing on our best tries and kill)
Khayne

Postby Faro » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:04 am

Is everyone here still using corruption? I found myself switching to righteousness for almost the entire boss fight.
"Safiyas, if you don't stop screwing up I'm going to replace you with someone that has a Y chromosome." -Laethalas
Nikachelle on the Jewelcrafting Nerf- "Called my boyfriend up and told him. Think I ruined his day. :s"
Faro

Postby Levantine » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:25 am

Wouldn't Command be >>> Righteousness?
Levantine

Postby Faro » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:32 am

Levantine wrote:Wouldn't Command be >>> Righteousness?

If you're spec'd into it which some of us may have been...ahem...unprepared enough to not be?
"Safiyas, if you don't stop screwing up I'm going to replace you with someone that has a Y chromosome." -Laethalas
Nikachelle on the Jewelcrafting Nerf- "Called my boyfriend up and told him. Think I ruined his day. :s"
Faro

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel