Remove Advertisements

[10] Blood Queen Lanathel

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Blood Queen Lanathel

Postby Scrawn » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:19 pm

I would like to get some discussion going that particularly focuses on the 10 man side of this fight. We went there tonight, after reading the very strict DPS requirement decided to try 2 healers. Even with our shaman putting out 9khps and a disc priest putting out 6k(not including shields so it was probably more in the 7-8k range)we could not seem to keep up with the damage.

Any tips, suggestions? What sort of DPS level are you taking? We are a strict-10 guild and usually we carry a 3 healer setup with dps in the 4.5-6.5k range. We've still got over 10 tries on her towards the end of the week so it would be ideal to go there prepared and guns blazing.

What experiences have you had so far with this fight?
I'm not sure if you're aware, but math is, in fact, not voodoo magic, and you can't invalidate the
mathematical formulae the game is based on with your nonsense anecdotes
Scrawn

Re: [10] Blood Queen Lanathel

Postby Kishandra » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:11 pm

Any dps fight that is strict in 25s is very lenient in 10s. Take 3 healers.
Kishandra

Postby heuvarius » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:24 pm

The first ground phase until she lifts off is the hardest part of the fight. It gets progressively easier as you go due to more people getting the buff and start healing themselves with the damage they do.

We just chained several DG and Hymms together to help out with the healing.
Best looking Femtaur-din in the game.
heuvarius

Postby hoho » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:24 am

Kishandra wrote:Any dps fight that is strict in 25s is very lenient in 10s. Take 3 healers.
Actually it was quite complicated on 10-man with 3 healers and everyone in 25-man gear. We had healers pull around 20k hps in addition to ~5k from other sources (vampiric embrace, heals from debuff). We had people doing close to 50k raid-DPS and still got her down just seconds before first player would have got MCd.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby guillex » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:37 am

Kishandra wrote:Any dps fight that is strict in 25s is very lenient in 10s. Take 3 healers.

Can we be a little more constructive when trying to discuss a 10man version of a fight?

Thanks.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Scrawn » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:55 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6VMysQN ... r_embedded

Ok, while we are at our current gear level (eg not farmed ICC for months) this currently looks like the most viable strategy. I've seen this method being discussed for the 25 man version as well but this also seems to give about 1 minute of DPS time for the 10 man version. Unfortunately it does require "creative use of game mechanics" as well as a brez or Soul Stone.

If you didn't or cant watch the video, basically when you get 2 vampires you let one of them die and brez/ss him. This gives you an extra minute on the debuff timers so you don't die to bite attrition so quickly.

From what I understand, most of the raid damage comes in the first half of the fight, when do you think the best time to pop BL would be? At the start for hasted healing? Or towards the end for boosted DPS with more vampires?

EDIT: The above strategy may now be considered null and void with the hotfixed mentioned below
Last edited by Scrawn on Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not sure if you're aware, but math is, in fact, not voodoo magic, and you can't invalidate the
mathematical formulae the game is based on with your nonsense anecdotes
Scrawn

Postby hoho » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:00 am

"A hotfix was deployed earlier today that increased the duration of Essence of the Blood Queen from 60 seconds in 10 player mode to 75 seconds and (from) 50 seconds in 25 player mode to 60 seconds. While we hate to make hotfixes to limited attempt encounters in the middle of a play week, we felt it was necessary to correct an issue with the Blood Queen encounter which involved intentionally killing a member of the raid. I think it's generally accepted that letting someone die should continue to remain a "bad thing." "

Doesn't that make sacrificing someone not needed any more?
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Metherlance » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:01 am

Scrawn wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6VMysQNIZM&feature=player_embedded

Ok, while we are at our current gear level (eg not farmed ICC for months) this currently looks like the most viable strategy. I've seen this method being discussed for the 25 man version as well but this also seems to give about 1 minute of DPS time for the 10 man version. Unfortunately it does require "creative use of game mechanics" as well as a brez or Soul Stone.

If you didn't or cant watch the video, basically when you get 2 vampires you let one of them die and brez/ss him. This gives you an extra minute on the debuff timers so you don't die to bite attrition so quickly.

From what I understand, most of the raid damage comes in the first half of the fight, when do you think the best time to pop BL would be? At the start for hasted healing? Or towards the end for boosted DPS with more vampires?

The hotfix changed the essence to last 75secs, so there is no need to let anyone die anymore (or atleast should not be if you have any decent dps). And I'd recommend to burn heroism when most of your dps has the buff.

E: hoho was faster. But yeah it should make sacrificing someone pointless.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/chromaggus/Metherlance/advanced

No question remains unanswered. No doubts linger. You are Azeroth's greatest champions!
Metherlance

Postby kanst » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:21 am

This fight is actually pretty easy imo. Way easier then Professor Putricide was. Here is how we did it, 2 tanks, 3 heals, 5 dps. We had a shadow priest in a group with the dps to help. First person to get bitten bites the Spriest first. After that we just bite the dps in order of whos best. The only issue we had with this fight at all was the air phase. The key we found was to not bite at the beginning of the window, bite when there is only like 5 seconds left. What this does it push back the timer so you dont have to bite someone during the air phase. Bites during the air phase can lead to wipes from clumping. We popped heroes when we got 4 dps bitten and killed it fairly easily.
kanst

Postby Trevize » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:40 am

We did this pre-nerf with no "martyr" strategy. Simple change made it easy. The off tank warrior was in full dps gear, specced fury, dps'ing the entire time. Even set up like that he took the least amount of damage in the raid. The reason for this is the mechanic. The off tank will take the same amount of damage the mt takes after every form of mitigation. With tons of armor, shields on the main tank...he was barely even taking damage. Adding an extra dps'er sent us from 10% wipes to a kill. A clothie could be the off tank (in theory though we didn't test it) as it is a set amount of damage sent over that is not effected by armor at all. We had our warrior stand in the front as we weren't sure if that would effect the link. If you do have to be in front, use a warrior or DK as a kitty druid's dps would get raped not being behind.

Not sure if this will work in 25 with increased damage but it might.
Trevize

Postby inthedrops » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:51 am

Trevize wrote:We did this pre-nerf with no "martyr" strategy. Simple change made it easy. The off tank warrior was in full dps gear, specced fury, dps'ing the entire time. Even set up like that he took the least amount of damage in the raid. The reason for this is the mechanic. The off tank will take the same amount of damage the mt takes after every form of mitigation. With tons of armor, shields on the main tank...he was barely even taking damage. Adding an extra dps'er sent us from 10% wipes to a kill. A clothie could be the off tank (in theory though we didn't test it) as it is a set amount of damage sent over that is not effected by armor at all. We had our warrior stand in the front as we weren't sure if that would effect the link. If you do have to be in front, use a warrior or DK as a kitty druid's dps would get raped not being behind.

Not sure if this will work in 25 with increased damage but it might.

I OT'd both 10 and 25, my comments concern 25 as I didn't pay attention to damage on 10.

I definitely took plenty of damage (Warrior MT). All you need is stamina for sure. But one thing I noticed after the first attempt was that Recount doesn't show the damage done on the OT that is caused by the mirror. I assume because the source of the damage is the MT and not the boss. And perhaps this confused mods like Recount. So you can't rely on Recount for OT damage.

The OT actually takes more damage than the MT, probably because of the addition of the bleeds.

In the video I posted in the 25 man thread, you can see my health bar drop in conjunction with the MT. I was taking almost 20k hits at times. I had just below 60K health fully buffed to give some perspective to how much health I am losing during the dips.

Also, don't forget the Bleed that gets put on the OT as well.

How big were the hits in 10? I'd think in 25 any cloth wearer with at least 40K HP buffed should be able to survive the encounter with exceptional healing.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Wrathy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:00 pm

inthedrops wrote:How big were the hits in 10? I'd think in 25 any cloth wearer with at least 40K HP buffed should be able to survive the encounter with exceptional healing.

We tried that with an unholy dk and Bone shield up for a few attempts and deemed that it was not necessary and down right stressful on our healers. I was watching the damage quite closely because of this. In my Progression EH gear on 10 man, I was taking 10-11k hits every time, plus the AoE that hit me hit the OT as well, doubling the AoE effect on the OT.

We were marginally keeping up a dps as the OT until he got a Delirious Slash, and he dropped hard. after that we went back to the two tank strat.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Nekkos » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:06 pm

So the bleed is placed on the OT? Would this necessitate a tank swap at any point? She wasn't spawned when we got to her in 10m last night so we haven't seen her yet :|.
Nekkos

Postby inthedrops » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:07 pm

Wrathy wrote:doubling the AoE effect on the OT.

Solid point.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Nekkos wrote:So the bleed is placed on the OT? Would this necessitate a tank swap at any point? She wasn't spawned when we got to her in 10m last night so we haven't seen her yet :|.

Delirious Slash wasn't stacking and wasn't threatening to a regular tank. We ignored that it even exists.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel