Remove Advertisements

[25] Blood Queen Lanathel.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [25] Blood Queen Lanathel.

Postby Rhiannon » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:08 am

One thing, I've either missed the answer or no one's mentioned it in the various write-ups/videos, is there any way to control who gets the first vampiric bite from Lana'thel? It would kinda suck if it went on a tank or healer I guess.
Rhiannon

Postby Heni » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:15 am

Rhiannon wrote:One thing, I've either missed the answer or no one's mentioned it in the various write-ups/videos, is there any way to control who gets the first vampiric bite from Lana'thel? It would kinda suck if it went on a tank or healer I guess.

I'm not sure but took us only 3 tries on 10 and I believe the hunter got it every time so might be furthest from boss thing. Not once did it get on melee/tanks/healers, but we had our 2 healers stand in melee range anyways.
Heni

Postby Wrathy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:20 am

Heni wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:One thing, I've either missed the answer or no one's mentioned it in the various write-ups/videos, is there any way to control who gets the first vampiric bite from Lana'thel? It would kinda suck if it went on a tank or healer I guess.

I'm not sure but took us only 3 tries on 10 and I believe the hunter got it every time so might be furthest from boss thing. Not once did it get on melee/tanks/healers, but we had our 2 healers stand in melee range anyways.

I think it is completely random. Our first attempt on 25 man, our Off tank got bit.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby DeadMilliken » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:38 am

Cross posting a post I made on the wow forums...since It's important...and I've seen no other mention it anywhere else.

There is a very major reason why tank swapping kicks ass.

Blood Mirror does 100% of the damage the MT recieves to the OT.

It is 100% true that the OT cannot typically reduce the damage they are taking....However the MT can SUBSTAINALLY effect it.

By tank swapping, you can effectively let both tanks share damage reduction cooldowns.

Example:
MT Tanks, pops Shield wall, afterwords pops avoidance trinkets.
Tank swap
OT Tanks, pops IBF, afterwords pops BoneShield, afterwords pops avoidance trinkets.
Tank swap

In the above example: Tanking damage was reduced on both tanks for over a minute.

The above also illistrates something else important:
Absorbtion effects on the currently tanking tank, have a double dip effect. Effectively reducing the damage the MT (and therefore the OT) takes.

IE: PW:Shielding the MT to reduce 5k dmg ALSO reduces the OT's mirror dmg by 5k.

PS: If you want to see this in action....here's what happend to both tanks when the MT cast Divine Protection (pally shield wall)
The DP came into effect ~ 22:52:35
You can match up the exact dmg reduction hits on BOTH tanks.

MT
http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/ev ... D1/HIT/nil

OT
http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/ev ... FF/HIT/nil
DeadMilliken

Postby fafhrd » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:55 pm

I suspect the first bite target might just be the highest threat other than the tank - that would be consistent with both the hunter above (didn't feign) and the OT above (if he was in a tank presence).

The bites we had all went to DPS (elemental, mage and I think rogue).
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Belloc » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:07 pm

Some people were experiencing no bites going out at all, which they attributed to pets being targeted by the bite (which essentially removes the buff from the rest of the fight and causes you to wipe to the enrage timer on 25-man). If that was, in fact, the case, then I don't really see threat being a factor. I'm guessing random, but that is just based on the info that has been presented to me from other sources.
Belloc

Postby Aubade » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:53 pm

So we tested this last night and from what we can tell the bite is a random chance for any persons on the top of the threat list (Excluding tanks).

Also, there is no reason to have an OT be a bear in full stamina gear, there's no reason to have the OT be any class at all since none of their own mitigation works on blood mirror.

You also, cannot bite pets and pets cannot be bitten by BQL.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Rhiannon » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: DeadMilliken

Is the damage on the tanks actually a concern on 25? Only tried it on 10 tonight, and the tank healing was definitely the more trivial part of managing the healing. Does she hit hard enough on 25 that tank survival is more an issue?
Rhiannon

Postby Malthrax » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:16 pm

Aubade wrote:So we tested this last night and from what we can tell the bite is a random chance for any persons on the top of the threat list (Excluding tanks).

Also, there is no reason to have an OT be a bear in full stamina gear, there's no reason to have the OT be any class at all since none of their own mitigation works on blood mirror.

Is the damage redirected via Blood Mirror pre-mitigation or post-? Would it be reasonable to have a high-health ret paladin or cat druid play the mirror-soaker role and just solo-tank the fight?
Malthrax

Postby Threatco » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:23 pm

With vampies doing 100% extra damage, I am curious how they avoid pulling aggro.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby Meloree » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:38 pm

Threatco wrote:With vampies doing 100% extra damage, I am curious how they avoid pulling aggro.

Because they do 0 threat.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:23 pm

Aubade wrote:So we tested this last night and from what we can tell the bite is a random chance for any persons on the top of the threat list (Excluding tanks).

Pet biting was possible on Tuesday, so that must've been hotfixed.

Also, since there is no mitigation on OT, wouldn't pure stamina be the best for the OT? If you can't mitigate damage, then armor and avoidance are worthless. Therefore stamina is the only factor. Of course, that assumes no taunt swaps or possible resist sets (which probably wouldn't work anyway).
Belloc

Postby Gaffer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:23 pm

Killed tonight using a "Martyr strat." You can definitely gain rdps by sacrificing one of your bites and using a rebirth at some point during the encounter.
Gaffer

Postby Metherlance » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:57 am

Heni wrote:I didn't pay attention on our 10 man kill, but the person that is linked to the main tank, can they avoid any damage and mitigate it or do they just take 100% of whatever the main tank takes after the mt's block/parry/dodge/miss?

Just wondering cause if they just strictly take 100% and can't mitigate then a lot easier to have ot be bear in stamina gear?

Blood mirror shares the damage that the main tank takes (post-mitigation) 100% as shadow damage (not resistable though), and so it is unavoidable. Which makes me wonder about earlier in the thread xxkinetikxx saying BOP to negate OT's damage completely. If it really is shadow damage this should not be possible. Or maybe the ability works in some wicked way.

"Tried" the 10m yesterday. First pull something like 25% when everyone was just running around and laughing about what to do. Second pull and down. Actually we found Princes to be harder. Can't wait for tonight's 25m. :)
Last edited by Metherlance on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/chromaggus/Metherlance/advanced

No question remains unanswered. No doubts linger. You are Azeroth's greatest champions!
Metherlance

Postby hoho » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:22 am

fafhrd wrote:I suspect the first bite target might just be the highest threat other than the tank - that would be consistent with both the hunter above (didn't feign) and the OT above (if he was in a tank presence).
I have pretty hard time believeing that me as shadowpriest managed to out-threat arcane mage, hunter and dps warrior when I got bitten first twice on our 10-man. Though who knows, maybe I did. I should check that next time.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-h ... 08&e=13292

If you have hard time with raid healing try to get spriest bitten fast, I was easily pulling effective 3k hps when vampire (vs 6k for resto shaman), 4k+ with bloodlust.
Last edited by hoho on Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel