Remove Advertisements

[10] Dances with Oozes (Rotface)

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Dances with Oozes (Rotface)

Postby Anorian » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:42 am

The meta achievement for Rotface. Did this last night as a first kill and since it took us quite some time i'll write down what we did.

setup: 2 tanks (though this doesnt matter that much, its more a keeping aggro thing), 2 healers, 6 dps

Pull the boss and blow heroism, everyone nuke as hard as you can until the first 2 oozes are spawned. The offtank together with the 2 people that have aggro run out to merge them and start kiting. I started first and let 3 more adds merge with my big ooze giving it a stack of four. Then our feral together with the next two ooze guys runs out and starts kiting that letting it stack up to four.

The biggest problem we had was kiters getting the debuff, the only real way to fix that is have a backup kiter that can take over when you get a debuff, however we sortof messed that up. I ended up with a small ooze on my ass while kiting the big ooze desperately not trying to let them merge while maintaining aggro on the big one, which is fairly hard with 2 healers spamming their asses off and only ranged aggro moves.

We killed it when we had two 4 stack big oozes and several small ones beating on random people, high dps is definitely needed or a very well thought out kiting pattern with backup people for every kiter, and most likely backups for those backups.
Anorian

Re: [10] Dances with Oozes (Rotface)

Postby Curious » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:08 am

Interesting strategy. I was thinking of trying something similar to this but after 25m, I wasnt sure if we would have the dps to down the boss in the time it takes to stack 2 big oozes to 4 (Which is effectively 10 debuffs worth, which is going to be about 2 minutes or a little over).

How many floating small oozes did you get at the end? How did you stop them merging, to form a 3rd or 4th big ooze (and therefore a lot of aoe raid damage)?
Curious

Postby Bijou » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:42 am

What we did was to fuse the first 2 oozes together to one big ooze with 1 Stack which i kited.
Then the 3rd and 4th were fused and kited by our feral and then merged with my big one giving him 2 stacks instead of 3 when you would merge them in the 'normal' mode.
So you can let 8 oozes spawn instead of 5 until you get a big one with 4 stacks instead of.
Depending on your dmg your 2nd kiter can then directly stack his big one or youll need 3rd kiter to repeat this tactic. We went with 2 kiters and had the rest spread out so some small oozes that were running around could merge.

Hope this could help you
Bijou

Postby Awyndel » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:25 pm

What I wanted to try sunday is just zerg it and stack in the middle and aoe heal untill the big ooze spawns. Then the ot can run around in a small circle so all the little ones still automatically go to the big one. When that big one is full the ot would go kite on max range. He would then just wait untill a new big one spawned in the middle, and pick it up from range. Will prolly need some work.

Think it has a shot? What happends to 2 big ones if they are kited by the same person and come close to each other?
Awyndel

Postby xxkinetikxx » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:50 pm

Awyndel wrote:Think it has a shot? What happends to 2 big ones if they are kited by the same person and come close to each other?

They blow up
xxkinetikxx

Postby Serv » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:54 am

We did this yesterday.
We leat two small oozes spawn in our zerg. We let the debuff run out of the first and immediatly dispell the second, to have a larger window between merging and respawning the third, fifth, seventh (a.s.o) ooze. I then had around 20 seconds to pick up this big on, kite it and wait for the next big one. As mentioned above, when these two merge, they only have a stack of 2 instead of 3. Working this way, you buy some desperatly need time, for this is a DPS-race.
We repeat with this until my ooze, has a stack of four. It will get quiet tricky to not get in the big slimepits. Have bubblewall and HoF ready. Watch your mana bar! DP doesn't work out so well, because you can't afford to melee. I had some serious threat problems, when taunting a big ooze out of the zerg, followed by a disc. It will help, to get closer to the boss and give the ooze an additional judgement. If you have to possibility, let a hunter or rogue support you. Otherwise it is very likely the ooze will tourn around and head for a healer.

Either the Rotface is dead by now or you will need a second kiter. We used a DK, who has some good tools, to aggro the fith one. while zerging the last few HP off of Rotface we got a sixth ooze which we handled by ... i don't know. Rotface hit the floor right after this one.

It is a huge difference if you take 3 or 2 healer. If they know what they are doing and have some decent gear, two is more then enough and the additional DPS spot will help you a lot more.
Thanks to LAVE for the sig

www.rent-a-tank.net ...:::... www.nil-gilde.net
Serv

Postby inthedrops » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:03 am

We did this on 25 but I suppose it still applies here so I'll post. First thing, there is a VIDEO HERE but it probably doesn't show the strat well.

Pretty much same strat as OP so I won't cover that. But we did have to drop some healing for more DPS.

(First Big Ooze: 0:43 in video)
1. Let the first two small oozes merge in the raid.
2. I yanked the Big Ooze out.
3. I let my Big Ooze get 4 stacks.

(Second Big Ooze: 1:57 in video)
4. Allow for two more small oozes to build in raid.
5. Hunter kites the Big Ooze when it merges.
6. Hunter allows his ooze to get 4 stacks.

(Third Big Ooze: 2:58 in video)
7. Same as second but with a third kiter.

The kiters always moved clockwise, that way we wouldn't have any problems with Big Oozes crossing paths. Don't worry about the big slime pools if you're a tanks (large HP pool). But definitely avoid the small ones. If you're a non tank class kiter (low HP pool) then you should call out when you have to run through a large slime pull and make sure you're in range for healing.

Keep an eye out for the position of the other kiters and slow down your kiting or ask them to speed theirs up if needed.

You'll likely end up with some small oozes near the end. Make sure that whatever people they have targeted take responsibility to NOT bring them anywhere near a large ooze or allow it to combine with another small ooze. In the video I posted there was a hunter who I feared wasn't going to get away from my Big Ooze so I decided to turn around to buy some time. As you can see, Shield Wall isn't enough to keep my sorry ass alive so make sure to kite AROUND and not THROUGH like I did (it was a stupid mistake).

I'm going to assume 10M is similar but perhaps less kiting class options available.

As concerns healers getting wicked agro when you drop down to a small amount of them, it becomes critically important that DPS does their job and avoids slime spray. When they aren't taking damage from slime spray healer agro is MUCH better.

Make sure your ooze order is clear. People must always know which kiter to take their small oozes to.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Antagonist » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:05 am

Honestly, we just zerged the fuck out of it.

1 Tank, 2 healers, 7 DPS (with 1 being a DK for reasons explained below).

At the pull, the whole raid stacks on Rotface, as per normal. Whenever a ranged DPS got Mutated Infection, they ran out of the clump before the cleanse, took up a position on the perimeter of the circle, and just stood there with their ooze.

If a melee got the debuff, they'd position on 1 corner of the KT/Thorim triangle, and the raid would take position on the second corner. (Tank obvs on third).

If someone gets Infected twice, we got a big ooze, sure, but by the time it happened, the boss was at ~20% anyway. DK popped frost presence, taunted, spammed IT/DC etc., and kited it while we burned him down.

No heroism necessary, no complicated multiple tanks, just burn burn burn.

(It would've been much easier if we'd been able to drop to only 2 melee DPS though, that's for sure!)
Antagonist

Postby Avengeance » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:35 pm

We did 1 tank 1 healer, and just separate teh small oozes. One did merge to become big at around 15%, i just tanked it and shieldwalled. We even had 4 melee but it wasnt a problem.
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Postby Lisath » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:31 pm

How do you deal with the slime spray if you get all your ranged all around Rotface ? I mean, if they're maintaining their little oozes far from the boss, they don't really have much room to wander around and dodge it.
Lisath

Postby Aubade » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:04 pm

xxkinetikxx wrote:
Awyndel wrote:Think it has a shot? What happends to 2 big ones if they are kited by the same person and come close to each other?

They blow up

No they don't. If 2 big ones combine they just add stacks.

1+1 = 2
2+1 = 3
2+2 = 4.

etc etc. so the best thing to do is get 2 kiters, one of them just constantly make new big oozes and combine them with the original big ooze (be careful to not have any of the big oozes consuming small ones.

Once the first big oozes consumes 3 big oozes (6 small ones) Start having the second kiter creating a big ooze and having people make big oozes in the path of the second one (at this point the first big oozes has 4 stacks and is just being kited.) once the second ooze gets to 4 stacks the boss better be dead haha.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby xxkinetikxx » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:16 pm

Antagonist wrote:Honestly, we just zerged the fuck out of it.

1 Tank, 2 healers, 7 DPS (with 1 being a DK for reasons explained below).

At the pull, the whole raid stacks on Rotface, as per normal. Whenever a ranged DPS got Mutated Infection, they ran out of the clump before the cleanse, took up a position on the perimeter of the circle, and just stood there with their ooze.

If a melee got the debuff, they'd position on 1 corner of the KT/Thorim triangle, and the raid would take position on the second corner. (Tank obvs on third).

If someone gets Infected twice, we got a big ooze, sure, but by the time it happened, the boss was at ~20% anyway. DK popped frost presence, taunted, spammed IT/DC etc., and kited it while we burned him down.

No heroism necessary, no complicated multiple tanks, just burn burn burn.

(It would've been much easier if we'd been able to drop to only 2 melee DPS though, that's for sure!)

Confirmed the zerg method. 1 tank (myself) 2 healers and 7 dps. Didn't really plan anything out at all and just blew it up. We ended up getting a big ooze about 30 seconds into the fight and I just tanked that as well. I was definitely getting beat on hard but if you manage cool downs and have competent healers should be fine. Just need to survive about 2 minutes as we dropped him in 1 min 54 secs.
xxkinetikxx

Postby Sober » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:06 pm

We zerged it with 1 tank, 2 healers and 7 dps. Our hunter got off the boss the first big ooze spawn. People just have to get healed through the small slime hitting them. Melee stacked on each leg; if a melee gets a small ooze, the melee move off to the other leg, so if they get it, the small oozes don't suddenly form a big one.
Sober

Postby Anorian » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:48 am

Zerging wasn't really an option when we did since you'd pretty surely get overwhelmed before you could down him, with the nerfed hp its probably the best tactic.
Anorian

Postby iwillpunishu » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:08 pm

How much dps does it take to get him down in 2 minutes?
iwillpunishu

Next

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel