Remove Advertisements

[10] Festergut

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Festergut

Postby Vekk » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:36 am

My guild will be attempting this encounter for the first time tonight. With our raid comp and gear, I think we should be fine. My only question is this. Seeing as how this boss deals heavy physical damage, would an avoidance set help much or should I stick to my EH set?
Last edited by Vekk on Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vekk

Postby Gyute » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:37 am

Vekk wrote:My guild will be attempting this encounter for the first time tonight. With our raid comp and gear, I think we should be fine. My only question is this. Seeing as how this boss deals heavy physical damage, would an avoidance set help much or should I stick to my EH set?

Nearly all the damage that you need to be concerned with is shadow damage not physical, use EH.
Gyute

Postby Flex » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:43 am

Gyute wrote:Nearly all the damage that you need to be concerned with is shadow damage not physical, use EH.

wha?

20K melee with a sub 2 second attack speed is the killer on the fight and what caused us to wipe.

Still not arguing for avoidance set.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Splattage » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:34 pm

Got him down last night. Here's my notes:

INHALES : Healers need to get used to the shift from Raid AoE to massive tank spikes over the course of the three inhales. It's even more pronounced than you would think at first because boss dmg and haste increase 30% each time:
0 inhale : 4k/2sec raid + Tank ~10k every 2 sec
1 inhale : 2k/2sec raid -25% resist + Tank ~13k every 1.6 sec
2 inhale : 1.5k/2sec raid -50% resist + Tank ~16k every 1.3 sec
3 inhale : 1k/2sec raid -75% resist + Tank ~20k every 1 sec
Explode : ~10k to each raid member + immediate 4k/2sec ticks
Those tank numbers are after avoidance/mitigation in a stam set

Tank damage was almost entirely physical : indestructable pots, pain supression and shieldwall are your friends. Each tank only needs to survive 1 phase at 3inhales so you can blow all the cooldowns you have during your moment of pure pain.

stacking Avoidance would scare me. at 3 Inhales I dont think 3 healers going all out could keep you up if you failed to avoid three hits in a row. Small chance, but instant wipe = no fun. ymmv

DPS issues: Ranged dps will be getting vomit which will drop their DPS from a Patchwerk theoretical max which makes this dps gear check much more serious thank we originally anticipated. We had one mage who routinely pulls 7k under 4k on account of three vomits before pulling him back to melee range and sending our tree out.

VOMIT: Must have at least three people at range - we settled 2hunters+tree since mages/locks lose too much from having their buff/debuff drop while out of action. if one of those three gets killed you *MUST* send a third out or the melee group can get vomit and you wipe. we forgot that on the attempt prior to kill and 7 of us in melee range got vomit.

SPORES: That means you can run 7 in melee and 3 at range but then you have to have clear communication on who goes out to the range group. collapsing might work, but you could get double stacks of the buff which might mean other people wont have three stacks. We found calling out who went out or in worked really well since you have plenty of time to move the 15 yards you need to. You'll need that kind of coordination for Rotface infections anyway so best work it out now.

Tanks/Bloat: We taunted at 9 stacks and had the tanks prepare a zerk stance/rf drop and swap weapon macro to squeeze out more dps which helped us make the kill. BoSalvation helped quite a bit in this regard. Aggro doesnt pull till +130% and the bloated tank can survive the boss hits if he pulls aggro for a second, just have the other tank be ready with a taunt if it happens. Dps really is that important for this fight.

Hope all that helps you.
Splattage : My job is simple : Take every boss hit : Don't Die : the rest is up to you
Splattage

Postby Shathus » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:56 pm

Getting my first shot at him tonight, what is a better option, a stam trinket or Glyph of Ind? Since the AoE shadow damage is low during the 3 stacks and his melee is the tank killer, i figured Glyph plus my 2 armor rings would be the best option, that would give me just under 32k armor (pre-devo aura) in my armor heavy gear, plus it gives me a 2nd on-use dodge option to pop at 3 stacks.

Is that the right choice or am I overvaluing armor too much? (~41k unbuffed in that setup)
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby kysu » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:01 pm

I felt better myself running a stam/avoidance trinket. But if you don't have the stam to take 2 to 3 hits then I would stam it up.

I also used the DG/DS cancel macro right as he exhaled all that crap into that room, helped the healers out a little.
kysu

Postby Belloc » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:57 pm

Just a note: Make sure both of your tanks are excellent at threat generation. I turned Righteous Fury off and still managed to pull aggro and blow up all of our melee. It was pretty awesome.
Belloc

Postby Argali » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:31 am

Gyute wrote:
Vekk wrote:My guild will be attempting this encounter for the first time tonight. With our raid comp and gear, I think we should be fine. My only question is this. Seeing as how this boss deals heavy physical damage, would an avoidance set help much or should I stick to my EH set?

Nearly all the damage that you need to be concerned with is shadow damage not physical, use EH.

Eh, EH? Shadow damage?

According my the logs on my kill, melee damage was 67.9% of damage taken, with the largest hit being 34k.
Argali

Postby Arcia » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:21 am

Got this down a few days ago, the key to killing him is to make sure your healers dont need to run around because of spores.

Position them so that other people runs to them instead.

We wiped a few times but it was always because of healers running around, once we positioned them better if was easy
Arcia

Postby Gyute » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:54 am

Argali wrote:
Gyute wrote:

Eh, EH? Shadow damage?

According my the logs on my kill, melee damage was 67.9% of damage taken, with the largest hit being 34k.

yah, sorry, I was thinking raid damage when I posted that :oops:

Still does not justify an avoidance set being worn.
Gyute

Postby Argali » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:05 pm

The triumph armor trinket, and the ashen verdict legs are ftw!
Argali

Postby mavfin » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:11 pm

Flex wrote:
Gyute wrote:Nearly all the damage that you need to be concerned with is shadow damage not physical, use EH.

wha?

20K melee with a sub 2 second attack speed is the killer on the fight and what caused us to wipe.

Still not arguing for avoidance set.

Yeah, we did him last night with a bear, and a pallytank. Pallytank had less gear, so I went cat till time to taunt, took him just before 3rd inhale (8 stacks), used cooldowns while pally beat on him. Pallytank used his cooldowns, but did not die/AD proc, so he wasn't *that bad*. 3-healed, and 3-shot him first time we saw him. 10-man gear, 10-man raid. Beat enrage by 8 seconds or so. Armor is nice on this fight.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby glorfindell » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:19 pm

Having got the fight to about 15% on 25 man, we went in with a half-pugged 10 and one shot it. We probably overgeared the fight a bit though, we even had a healer lag hard and double spore the ranged/no spores for the melee. As Meloree suggested in the 25 man thread, we had our bear go in first to get the +90% damage and switch to kitty while I tanked the 3 inhale phase. With DP followed by DSac macro I had no issues, don't think I even dropped below 50%. Enrage timer was definitely not an issue with 4 melee dps (although kiting on Saurfang was a PITA :P).
glorfindell

Postby lakhesis » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:32 am

Splattage wrote:Got him down last night. Here's my notes:

INHALES : Healers need to get used to the shift from Raid AoE to massive tank spikes over the course of the three inhales. It's even more pronounced than you would think at first because boss dmg and haste increase 30% each time:
0 inhale : 4k/2sec raid + Tank ~10k every 2 sec
1 inhale : 2k/2sec raid -25% resist + Tank ~13k every 1.6 sec
2 inhale : 1.5k/2sec raid -50% resist + Tank ~16k every 1.3 sec
3 inhale : 1k/2sec raid -75% resist + Tank ~20k every 1 sec
Explode : ~10k to each raid member + immediate 4k/2sec ticks
Those tank numbers are after avoidance/mitigation in a stam set

Tank damage was almost entirely physical : indestructable pots, pain supression and shieldwall are your friends. Each tank only needs to survive 1 phase at 3inhales so you can blow all the cooldowns you have during your moment of pure pain.

Side note on the timing & also a way of dealing with an undergeared OT (mine was a ~40k buffed dk tank who's normally dps).

If you let the undergeared tank take the first 0 & 1 inhale, paladin MT taunts off and tanks the first 2 & 3 inhale, and through the second 0 inhale. Undergeared tank taunts & tanks through the tail end of the second 0 inhale & start of the second 1 inhale (if he taunts when pally hits 9 stacks, timing is about right). Pally MT can then immediately bubble off the 9 stacks, taunt back & tank through the rest of the second 1 & 2 + 3 inhales until the end. My gear is ilvl 245 + some icc25 style stuff, was sitting around 52k+ hp in that raid i think, i got slapped around a bit & it hindered my use of bubble-wall, but it's perfectly doable with solid healing.

Oh, and if any of your casters happen to be using titan-forged rune of audacity (sp + pvp trinket) or something similar.. they apparently can use the pvp trinket effect to break out of vomit =)

ps. things you don't want to hear the other tank say on festergut: "maybe i should've bought some of that t9 tank gear"
ps2. thinking about it, it's essentially the same approach as meloree was using in 25 man to use a kitty druid for the extra dps... just the motivation here is cos the other tank is undergeared.
When society says jump, we say pass the salt.
lakh's armory
lakhesis

Postby Shathus » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:59 am

Lakhesis wrote:Side note on the timing & also a way of dealing with an undergeared OT (mine was a ~40k buffed dk tank who's normally dps).

If you let the undergeared tank take the first 0 & 1 inhale, paladin MT taunts off and tanks the first 2 & 3 inhale, and through the second 0 inhale. Undergeared tank taunts & tanks through the tail end of the second 0 inhale & start of the second 1 inhale (if he taunts when pally hits 9 stacks, timing is about right). Pally MT can then immediately bubble off the 9 stacks, taunt back & tank through the rest of the second 1 & 2 + 3 inhales until the end. My gear is ilvl 245 + some icc25 style stuff, was sitting around 52k+ hp in that raid i think, i got slapped around a bit & it hindered my use of bubble-wall, but it's perfectly doable with solid healing.

Oh, and if any of your casters happen to be using titan-forged rune of audacity (sp + pvp trinket) or something similar.. they apparently can use the pvp trinket effect to break out of vomit =)

ps. things you don't want to hear the other tank say on festergut: "maybe i should've bought some of that t9 tank gear"
ps2. thinking about it, it's essentially the same approach as meloree was using in 25 man to use a kitty druid for the extra dps... just the motivation here is cos the other tank is undergeared.

T9 4pc might help out the timing of this as well then you could DP during the first 3 stack, but still have forbearance off in time to DS off the debuff?
i got slapped around a bit & it hindered my use of bubble-wall, but it's perfectly doable with solid healing.

I'm assuming this meant you didn't pop DP because you were saving your bubble for later because forbearance was the issue?
Shathus
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel