Remove Advertisements

[10] Rotface

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Rotface

Postby Kuma » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:17 pm

We had a wipefest on Rotface the other night. Not sure how many attempts we put in but I'm sure it was around 10. We tried a few different methods like having me (OT) kite the Big Ooze in a oval pattern to try and keep it in one area longer, moving only if my oval got flooded. Found it was too difficult to loop around the Big Ooze without bringing it too close to the rest of the raid.

Next we tried a strat that seemed to show some potencial. I would kite the Big Ooze in a clockwise circle around the room. Anyone with the disease simply had to run counter clockwise long enough for them to run into me. Once they got to me I cleansed them and the ooze would merge as they ran back to the center of the room. The problem with this the came up was that people were so devoted to running counter clockwise that even if I was standing next to them with the Big Ooze, they'd still run the opposite direction I was heading until we'd run into each other on the other side of the room. For the most part, however, the opposite direction tactic seemed to work well enough to get us to the second Big Ooze without anyone dying.

I think our major problem was that our healers weren't quite sure who they needed to focus on and when. The MT needs a dedicated healer, and the other healer should be focusing on the raid damage from the spew and spamming heals on whoever is diseased. I watched too many raid members running towards me, almost in position for me to cleanse them...only to watch them die and their slime make a b-line for the center of the room. Hell, I was throwing heals on a few people myself while kiting :P
CC used to stand for "Constant Consecration" /mourn

Kuma

Postby Meloree » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:21 pm

Cleanse the debuff the second it's up, and call for the affected raid member to run out.

The aura it has is relatively harmless, and easier to heal than the infection.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby bzzt » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:30 pm

Agree with Meloree, I was the infection healer/dispeller on both my priest and shaman this past week (in 10s) and it's significantly easier to heal them if you just dispel quickly (it might have been in my head, but it seemed like folks were quicker about getting to the big ooze with it as well...my suspicion is that a ferocious ooze on your tail is more incentive to get there than just a lil' old debuff :)).

The only thing you want to be careful of is once they start speeding up a bit, you don't want to dispel one in the raid when there's already one in the raid, or you'll make a big ooze in the middle of everything (which invariably freaks everyone out and gets folks killed).

As for healing on the raid, the spew is fairly low priority to heal off, I'd suggest handling it with splash from the tank or hots as gcd's permit, since he doesn't do it particularly frequently and folks should be moving before it does enough to be fatal (exception being possibly the person with the small ooze/infection, which is all the more reason to be spamming them on their way out). Also, with a dedicated healer on the injection, folks seem a little more confident charging straight to the ooze, taking some relatively heavy damage for a brief time, but getting an ooze out of play sooner (which is a net gain from the healers perspective). One tip I'd suggest for that healer though, is be mindful to stay out of the same spew arc as the big ooze, or you'll find yourself needing to move at the precise time when someone has an ooze + spew + aura damaging them.
bzzt

Postby Lindreth » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:22 pm

Does anyone use any macros for this fight to cleanse or taunt or both? I don't understand how to make anything other than a target macro, however I think using a mouse over macro or something to that extent would be helpful in this encounter if people aren't already using one.

I appreciate any help y'all can offer on the cleanse macro.
Lindreth

Postby Meloree » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:54 pm

#showtooltip Cleanse
/cast [target=mouseover,help,exists] [] Cleanse

Yeah, I could rewrite my macros with the new @ tag, but I haven't bothered.

I guess that would be /cast [@mouseover,help,exists] [] Cleanse
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Trase » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:00 pm

Meloree wrote:#showtooltip Cleanse
/cast [target=mouseover,help,exists] [] Cleanse

Yeah, I could rewrite my macros with the new @ tag, but I haven't bothered.

I guess that would be /cast [@mouseover,help,exists] [] Cleanse

Help implies exists by the way. You don't need both. :D
Trase <Phoenix> - Greymane US
Trase

Postby Meloree » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:05 pm

I'm not sure it always did. Certainly adding "exists" to the macro back in 2.3, when I first macroed all those abilities to mouseover, changed the behaviour to be consistant with what I wanted. Either that, or I'm smoking crack. Most of those macros haven't been touched since my first trip to Karazhan.

EDIT: Important note, though, thanks for the tip, I'll remember that.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby fafhrd » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:46 pm

fudomyou wrote:Question that isn't related to tanking this encounter: how did your hunters fare on this? The range requirement meant they were often in the way of the kite, did they just run to the first slime zone and stay there and eat ooze damage, or...?

Late reply, but as long as you're not trying to kite the slimes while staying in consecrate range of the boss or something, hunter's should be fine for range - his hitbox is in the "very small" category so you can almost be in melee range and still shoot. Ours have been solidly #1,2 & 3 on damage for every kill and attempt so far I think, and don't take any ooze damage - excellent fight for hunters, with just the right amount of movement to screw over other casters, and just the right amount of moving away during explosions to keep the rogues and DKs down (although I think we could position everyone better to prevent melee having to get off the boss during explosions).
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Arcia » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:11 pm

Having the infected just run straight into the big ooze made things alot easier, merging of oozes went alot smoother and dps on boss was higher, I just cleansed them as soon as I saw them leave the raid to avoid aoe damage on the raid.

We did this in both 25 man 10 man, 25 man was really chaotic towards the end but we got it after an hour of wiping, 10 man was really easy this way, he died really fast.
Arcia

Postby Argali » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:05 am

Concerning sectors being flooded, my healers so far have just told me to ignore the flooding and just stand in it if I want, as long as I don't get hit by the ooze.
Argali

Postby Flex » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:18 am

We got a solid 10 tries last night with me serving as the kiter. Do the big oozes have annoying hit boxes where the hitbox is large but the target small, think Heigan in Naxx, or was latency getting me?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Gyute » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:42 am

After many many many many attempts at this guy we finally got him down last night. The fight is all about execution and dps.

We crunched the numbers and for us had to two heal this fight. The mechanics of the fight really insist on getting him down in 4 min or less. This way you are not totally overwhelmed by ooze.

Luckily both a dps and I recorded the fight, so here is the same fight from two different pov :D

Tank Kite (me)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvudTj3k0eA

Ranged DPS (Cyan boomkin)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2OptxJznqw

Nice to see exactly what you should and should not do.

There has been many posts about how to get the slimes to merge, we found that the best thing for someone with the infection to do is dispell as quick as possible and for them to hook around the big ooze.
You can see some in the raid doing it well, others not so much but it is not easy.

I try to keep the big ooze close to the raid so there is less running and helps keep me out of big slime puddles. RNG has a lot to do with slime puddles, and just making the best out of what you are handed.

Overall a great encounter.
Gyute

Postby Milius » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:04 pm

Nice video :p, Will be recording my guilds kill hopefully tonight
Milius

Postby kanst » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:05 pm

Ignore all slime, just run through it...freedom is a beautiful thing.

I stand on the outer ring that you see on the floor, and just run counter clockwise the entire time, never changing my path. I used to avoid slimes but it made it way harder for our raiders to find me and get the slime to me so now I just go in a circle and use freedom if I have to run through the slime puddle
kanst

Postby Kelaan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:40 pm

kanst wrote:I just go in a circle and use freedom if I have to run through the slime puddle

And, as your freedom wears off and you find yourself about tohit another puddle, do you just keep going through it and eat the damage+slow?
Kelaan

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel