[10] Rotface

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Rotface

Postby twistedundead » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:59 pm

Firstly, I'd just like to say thanks to all those that posted that they simply HoF through the slime. My guild thought I was being ridiculous in my decision to move through the giant ooze puddle, putting those with the infection at risk because I couldn't go around the big slime. I don't think anyone realized at first just how fast, or how hard that thing can hit.

However, the have been occasions I have had to go back towards the slime, rather than forwards (such as my hand being on CD due to bad luck on the pools). For those times I tend to pull the ooze as far to the wall as possible, and bubble at the last possible second, clearing the ooze and de-bubbling/taunting/re-aggroing the ooze once I am a safe distance from it's attacks. It's important to pull it closer to the wall if you can simply because it's that much longer for the ooze to get to the raid. I have PoJ and don't have a problem getting around it.

Additionally, I find it helpful to move to the same spot that I started at on the map after the ooze explosions. For myself, this means starting at the right of Rotface (facing from the entrance), or to the north via the mini-map. This, along with a mark above me, helps the other members to know where to go at first, as the movement back and forth during explosions can sometimes create chaos in the raid. And like many have already said, it never hurts to call out where you are, and that the DPS can NOT go running through the ooze pool like yourself, so they should just go to the other side.
twistedundead

Postby Shathus » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:20 pm

twistedundead wrote:However, the have been occasions I have had to go back towards the slime, rather than forwards (such as my hand being on CD due to bad luck on the pools). For those times I tend to pull the ooze as far to the wall as possible, and bubble at the last possible second, clearing the ooze and de-bubbling/taunting/re-aggroing the ooze once I am a safe distance from it's attacks. It's important to pull it closer to the wall if you can simply because it's that much longer for the ooze to get to the raid. I have PoJ and don't have a problem getting around it.

A bad habit for Hard Mode I believe, but I run through the slime puddles regardless of HoF being available or not. The damage from the slime isn't really that much for a tank (for the other kiters, yah i dont recommend that) but I prefer to just keep moving and not risk getting a couple melee hits from the Big Ooze.

My $0.02
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:35 pm

Shathus wrote:A bad habit for Hard Mode I believe, but I run through the slime puddles regardless of HoF being available or not. The damage from the slime isn't really that much for a tank (for the other kiters, yah i dont recommend that) but I prefer to just keep moving and not risk getting a couple melee hits from the Big Ooze.

My $0.02

The Big Ooze hits harder than Festergut at 3 inhales, attacks every 1.2 seconds and had an AOE of about 7K. it is significant damage and very risky getting it close to you.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby mavfin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:30 pm

3/4 Hotfix:

In both normal and heroic versions of the 10 player Rotface encounter, the mutated infection ability will not be cast as quickly while the fight progresses.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby blakk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:04 am

does this mean instead of speeding up they slow down or that they will go at the same pace the entire time now?
blakk

Postby Chicken » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:49 am

blakk wrote:does this mean instead of speeding up they slow down or that they will go at the same pace the entire time now?
Neither. It still speeds up as the encounter progresses, it just does so at a slower rate.
Chicken

Postby Dilvish » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:40 am

In the comments section related to rotface on wowhead, I read the following strat used by one guild and was intrigued:

>>>>
===========================

So here is the strat...

Tank pulls boss and tanks in the center of the room and turns him away from the raid.

Dps and heals stack on his Butt just like normal

OT will dps the boss until the first debuff is applied.
Then he will run out to the outer ring.

The players will be cleansed asap. They WILL NOT move from the center the OT will taunt the big ooze the second it forms. This allows the dps and healers to focus on healing/dpsing rather than running, its a little more work for the tank but the raid gains dps because of it
We found the small oozes damage was more or less negligible in 10 man reg and could easily be healed through. And because the healers had no risk of moving and no problems with aoe healing , we had free reign to aoe heal everyone near by with only minor hots on the OT. And the large ooze though dangerous if left in the raid too long, was a limited risk If taken out immediately and the raid was able to be topped off via wild growth, chain heal, and that aoe heal priests do (cant remember what its called)

Eventually the big ooze will collect enough oozes to explode (something around 5 or 6). When this mob explodes you have to try to dodge the mini projectiles it shoots out, if your topped of you should live but it will do alot of damage.

The ooze cycle happened 2-4 times, but the run we downed Rot Face we suffered no deaths except for me at the last second, due to the slime explosion.

So long as the big ones are picked up in a timely manner and the dps stays behind the boss at all times avoiding the slime spray this is an easy fight.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What do you all think about this? We are still struggling with rotface using the usual strategies (druid mt, me kiting big oozes etc)
Dilvish
Maintankadonor

Postby Dilvish » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:59 pm

Going to try it tonight...let ya know how it does.
Dilvish
Maintankadonor

Postby Dilvish » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:55 am

I'm very sorry to be a bother, but if anyone with expierience with this encounter would like to comment on the new strategy outlined above I would GREATLY appreciate it. :)
Dilvish
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:05 pm

I don't follow the strategy outlined above.

If it is what I think it is of just letting people have small oozes beat on them until they join and then the tank taunting it out it seems risky for the kiter to taunt it out, get threat on it all while not getting beat to a pulp by the existing big ooze.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Shathus » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:25 pm

Flex wrote:I don't follow the strategy outlined above.

If it is what I think it is of just letting people have small oozes beat on them until they join and then the tank taunting it out it seems risky for the kiter to taunt it out, get threat on it all while not getting beat to a pulp by the existing big ooze.

Yah, sounds something like that. Basically instead of the raid needing to kite little oozes into the big one, it's the kiter's job to merge big ones into other big oozes. 'spose it could work, though probably gonna make your healers work harder than normal. previously i would have thought this will make it ugly near the end as the disease speeds up, but with the change the other week, it might not be fast enough to matter any more. Depending on your dps, could get your the achievement as well...
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby void » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:32 pm

I registered just to attempt to shine some light on this issue, since there still seems to be some confusion. I slime-kite this encounter every week on 10-man, and have yet to actually have any trouble.

Essentially there's 2 things you need to explain to your raid. In both cases I am the one cleansing the infection, let your healers heal.

Condition 1) No big slime up.
-I will have a non-combat pet up with a mark.
-If you get infection, run to that mark and STOP. Wait.
-When the second player gets infection, run to the mark.
-BOTH players run back.

Condition 2) Big slime up.
-Run directly to the big slime.
**Don't run past it, don't run to me, don't run anywhere else.
-As soon as you touch the big slime, turn around and run back to raid.

Also, I always go directly through the slime puddles, using HoF as needed. They don't hurt too bad, and it's better than hitting your raid with an AoE. Judgement, Consecration, and Avenger's Shield are more than enough to maintain threat.
void

Postby Dragondin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:20 pm

We tried this strat in icc10 yesterday and it works really well. you gain a lot of dps because the dps only have to move for slime spray. damage from the big ooze shouldnt cause any problems. we had 2 healer and there was no danger for the group to die because of the damage from spawning big oozes.

Only the kite tank has a bit more trouble, because you have to kite, maintain aggro at multiple (most time 2) oozes and taunt spawning oozes immediately.

my dps loves the start and the fight last ~1 min less than normal.
Dragondin

Postby Dilvish » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:43 am

Well...some progress. Whenever we don't get a boss down I feel like a fail raid leader, but I think this will work. About 15 tries and 2 or 3 times down to near or just below 20 percent. Everyone seemed to like it better and feel more confident for some reason. The only real problem we would have would be getting a new big ooze stuck in the group a couple seconds and have it wail on a healer. Sooner or later this would happen on each try, so we are going to use our second hunter to grab each new big ooze immediately and drag it out and merge with the one already being kited rather than make the kiting hunter pick up the new ones each time. One more level of control that I think should get us over the hump. I'll update Saturday night.
Dilvish
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:17 am

What is your DPS running at for Rotface? Due to internet suck I had to relog and lost most of the raid night logs but our rogue said he was close to 10K DPS on him, according to Recount, and our lowest DPS sits at around 6K.
Flex

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel