Remove Advertisements

[25] Rotface

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [25] Rotface

Postby Steve » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:50 pm

I can't tell for sure whether it's health or time.

I do know it's gradual, and I do know it hits a bottom limit of roughly 1 infection every 6 seconds. You won't get infections more often than that and it will sometimes skip an infection if he's in the middle of a slime spray when the cooldown is up.
Steve

Postby Chicken » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:21 am

It's purely time based, or possibly amount of debuffs cast made, but that comes down to the same thing. Either way, after about three minutes and thirty seconds of combat (A bit less) Rotface will be casting his infections at the highest speed he can, regardless of the amount of health he is at.
Chicken

Postby Antique » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:54 am

long time reader first time poster here.

just wanted to say that its entirely possible to just tank the big ooze (2 pallys beacon spamming me and the mt were more than enough to keep me up)

now im sure kiting works just fine, we just wanted to test tanking big ooze out and since it went well we stuck with it (killed him on 2nd or 3rd try)

of course since im standing at the same spot for the whole fight doing this makes it really simple for everyone else -> infected? run to me wait until ur cleansed or debuff runs out -> go back
Antique

Postby xxkinetikxx » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:01 am

Antique wrote:long time reader first time poster here.

just wanted to say that its entirely possible to just tank the big ooze (2 pallys beacon spamming me and the mt were more than enough to keep me up)

now im sure kiting works just fine, we just wanted to test tanking big ooze out and since it went well we stuck with it (killed him on 2nd or 3rd try)

of course since im standing at the same spot for the whole fight doing this makes it really simple for everyone else -> infected? run to me wait until ur cleansed or debuff runs out -> go back

That's impressive, I was kiting him on our kill and I think he got close enough to hit me once in the back. I'm not sure how hard he hit but I have an alert that plays a sound when I drop below 30% and it went off and I'm roughly 60k raid buffed. Maybe we'll try this next week to see if it simplify's the fight at all.
xxkinetikxx

Postby Antique » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:59 am

well when he aborbs ooze he gains a buff and hits harder, i started chaining cds shortly before stack4 (trinkets, glyphed salv, div sac with cancelaura, bubblewall) 2 of those should be enough to last until it explodes, i was able to cover myself with cds.
the dmg comes pretty slow and i think is purely physical therefore avoidable, log showed avg hit of 20k, AD didnt procc once in 2 or 3 trys.
fyi i have like 48.5k hp and 31k armor unbuffed
Antique

Postby Kihra » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:03 pm

Antique wrote:well when he aborbs ooze he gains a buff and hits harder, i started chaining cds shortly before stack4 (trinkets, glyphed salv, div sac with cancelaura, bubblewall) 2 of those should be enough to last until it explodes, i was able to cover myself with cds.
the dmg comes pretty slow and i think is purely physical therefore avoidable, log showed avg hit of 20k, AD didnt procc once in 2 or 3 trys.
fyi i have like 48.5k hp and 31k armor unbuffed

If the slime hits for more on hard mode, though, then you might want to rethink this strategy. :) In our raids, I get worried about strategies that feel like they're tailored for normal mode, because then our raiders aren't having to master mechanics that could become a requirement in hard mode.
Kihra

Postby Antique » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:43 pm

thats true.
i play on a highly populated server though and playability was not the best so we went with the simple strat once we saw it worked.

clearly kiting the big ooze is the way its intended to be (and possibly the only way @ hardmode, well see about that) however i think a dk would be so much better for the job of kiting (chain of ice the small oozes, easy ranged aggro with icy touch and death coil and anti magic shell when having to run through the slime) i found it much much easier on my alt dk to kite then on my pally (10mans that is) could probably just as well be done by a dps dk
Antique

Postby Splug » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:01 pm

I'm still trying to decide if it's worth sending a hunter off to do the big ooze kiting. They have all the tools available, and an easier time with both generating threat and getting clear while at range.

Having done the encounter on 25 with my death knight, and 10 on both the warrior and death knight, I will say that retaining control on the death knight was far simpler, but establishing it was not. Icebound Fortitude is available for a ~5-10 second hard-tank when the first and third oozes spawned, but I don't have it available for the second one, and Unbreakable Armor + Trinkets + Guardian Spirit is far, far riskier. Hand of Sacrifice would probably tip the scales though; I'll have to remember that.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:00 pm

I kited on my druid last night in the alt raid, and found myself never having to risk meleeing. Taunt/FFF-on-cooldown kept the big ooze firmly on me. I wouldn't expect a DK to have any problems, with DC/IT-spam, in establishing control, you should never need to be in melee range, surely?

I kited in 10s on my paladin, and didn't have any problem with taunt/AS, judgement spam, and occassional exorcisms.

I would think that the only class that actually needs to close range at all is a warrior, putting them at a disadvantage for that job. I don't know for sure, we don't have any main-warrior tanks in guild, and our one alt prot warrior was on Rotface, because I wanted to try the kiting in 25s.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Kihra » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:07 pm

Meloree wrote:I kited on my druid last night in the alt raid, and found myself never having to risk meleeing. Taunt/FFF-on-cooldown kept the big ooze firmly on me. I wouldn't expect a DK to have any problems, with DC/IT-spam, in establishing control, you should never need to be in melee range, surely?

Yeah I also kited this on my bear last night, and was really happy to see that FFF by itself was enough to outpace healer threat.
Kihra

Postby Argali » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:22 am

The big plus using a tank to kite, is that you can assign a tank who won't be doing anything really productive on it. I'm prot/holy, warr is prot/pvp prot, and dk is prot/dps.

Though, if you can rotate people's specs around, or switch players, hunter kiting has the added benefit of that they can actually hit ooze, run away, then stop to dps the boss, then run away some more, repeat.
Argali

Postby fafhrd » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:11 pm

The rest of the wing needs 2 tanks though. So unless you're replacing the tank with a good DPSer for that one fight and having the hunter DPS the boss while kiting, you're not gaining anything having a hunter kite slimes. Maybe if your only choice for slime kiting is a warrior it'd be better to have a hunter do it since warrior ranged threat is kinda poor (basically shockwave, taunt and a rare heroic throw), but just about any other class of tank is fine for it.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Nekkos » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:35 am

When have people been using BL/Heroism for this one? On our kill we held off on it til later in the fight, but I have seen a number of videos pop it a few seconds in.
Nekkos

Postby Epimer » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:39 am

This is related to whether or not the rate of ooze spawns is increasing with time or at set boss % health; which of the two it is will affect when you want to use Heroism. On our kill we used it just after the pull, primarily because we were having some execution issues and wanted to make sure everybody was alive to make use of it. We had a few <2% wipes before then.
Epimer

Postby Nekkos » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:03 am

Epimer wrote:This is related to whether or not the rate of ooze spawns is increasing with time or at set boss % health; which of the two it is will affect when you want to use Heroism. On our kill we used it just after the pull, primarily because we were having some execution issues and wanted to make sure everybody was alive to make use of it. We had a few <2% wipes before then.

Yeah, we made our choice based on the assumption that it was hp-based.
Nekkos

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel