Remove Advertisements

[25] Festergut

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [25] Festergut

Postby fafhrd » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:29 am

Appeared to be 5 minutes last night.

We wiped once to missing the enrage by ~10 seconds (pretty much instant wipe when the enrage hits), and our rDPS isn't usually all that great for a mostly 258 guild; we had 5 healers and a single warrior tank, no savage combat debuffer, and were sloppy with multiple people getting hit with the puke disorient too, so lots of room for optimization - using stuff like the tank swaps mentioned above and a high DPS tank classes or 4 healing most guilds that can beat Lady D and Saurfang should be able to manage the enrage timer without trouble.

edit: i'm an idiot, we used 2 tanks not one. warrior/pally. each did 4.5k though, which was nice.
Last edited by fafhrd on Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Wrathy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:44 am

Steve wrote:During that 90% phase he seems to hit for roughly 27-30K roughly every 1 second (not counting block), at least according to my logs.

That's some reasonably serious tank damage going out. You'll want to use cooldowns/pop an indestructible potion during the 3rd inhale phase and make sure you have a high uptime on the physical damage reduction heal proc. This amped up damage lasts for quite a long while, too (30 seconds).

I'm not sure I'd characterize that kind of damage as 'nothing to worry about.' Is that the kind of damage you were seeing?

I'd have to agree with you that the damage is a little less trivial than Meloree Makes it out to be. I have similar gear to him, but I was getting smacked in the face after the third inhale, and our first attempt our warrior flat out got insta-gibbed. Mel must have some pro healers because his kitty druid strat was beyond our guilds ability. Our warrior was only in 245 gear, but he was getting his ass handed to him, and I am in full 258 and was blowing cool downs and double Ironshield potting.

I also have to agree that the key the overall fight is the spore management and raid placement. If you can master this, then the rest of the fight is keeping the tanks up and dpsing fast enough to beat the enrage timer.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:47 am

Steve wrote:During that 90% phase he seems to hit for roughly 27-30K roughly every 1 second (not counting block), at least according to my logs.

That's some reasonably serious tank damage going out. You'll want to use cooldowns/pop an indestructible potion during the 3rd inhale phase and make sure you have a high uptime on the physical damage reduction heal proc. This amped up damage lasts for quite a long while, too (30 seconds).

I'm not sure I'd characterize that kind of damage as 'nothing to worry about.' Is that the kind of damage you were seeing?

Yeah, that's about right. I characterize it as "nothing to worry about", because you also have every single healer pumping heals into you in that phase. We left the healers in melee range, so they never had to move, they could all just heal-turret. I didn't run any cooldowns through the 3rd inhale, I wanted to see what the damage was like, but AD never even popped. Doing it properly, with cooldowns, it should be completely harmless. We one-shot the fight, I didn't get the chance to do it properly.

EDIT:
Wrathy wrote:I'd have to agree with you that the damage is a little less trivial than Meloree Makes it out to be. I have similar gear to him, but I was getting smacked in the face after the third inhale, and our first attempt our warrior flat out got insta-gibbed. Mel must have some pro healers because his kitty druid strat was beyond our guilds ability. Our warrior was only in 245 gear, but he was getting his ass handed to him, and I am in full 258 and was blowing cool downs and double Ironshield potting.

And, frankly, this surprises me a lot. I didn't do any of that, I was in threat gear, and the other tank was a kitten in bear-form. I took at least a 4-hit string, too, it wasn't just RNG on avoidance. I didn't Ironshield, no cooldowns. It felt like respectable, but not really dangerous damage.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Steve » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:14 am

Next time we do this we'll put every healer in melee then. We were kind of half and half (I think we had maybe 2-3 healers in melee).

With 4 healers pumping heals into the tank every 1.3-1.5 seconds, the chance of getting hit twice in a row without getting a heal/HoT tick is pretty low. So we'll simply have to move more in.

I'm sure the server lag wasn't helping matters in this regard.
Last edited by Steve on Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Postby Niinbob » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:21 am

Your healing team could have something to do with it also. If you have 3 holy pallys or something spamming the tank I don't tank dmg would be a problem.

We had 1 Hpally, 1 Dpriest, 2Hpriests, 2Rdruids and tank dmg was dangerous. Our warrior tank COULD NOT tank with a 3 stack unless he had cooldowns chained. I have 62khp and 40k armor raid buffed, I could somewhat tank it without cooldowns but it was dangerous and my health was spiking. Tank dmg in this is no joke once he has a 3 stack, even in 10m I was nearly getting beat down with 2 healers (Rdruid/Rshaman) spamming me.

Are people using 5 healers for this? I didn't think it would be possible with less then 6, our mages would get gibbed during the high raid dmg phase.
Niinbob

Postby Meloree » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:31 am

We had 1 holy paladin, 1 resto druid, 1 disc, 1 holy priest, 1 resto shaman. 5 total.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Niinbob » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:39 am

Either your healers are better then ours or we are doing something wrong then, because we really had problems keeping people alive with 6 healers (we started with 7 but that was excessive). 5 healers seemed like it would be impossible to keep everyone alive
Niinbob

Postby Wrathy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:49 am

Niinbob wrote:Either your healers are better then ours or we are doing something wrong then, because we really had problems keeping people alive with 6 healers (we started with 7 but that was excessive). 5 healers seemed like it would be impossible to keep everyone alive

We ran with 5 as well, two holy pallies, Resto Shaman, Resto Druid, Holy Priest. Now granted our main holy priest was still away from the holiday break, but the only thing we lost was a second Mace proc on the tanks. I am leaning towards our healers getting too distracted by the raid damage than anything. I honestly dont know what could be distracting when he is at three stacks, but apparently something was.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Pallypete » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:16 pm

We downed him last night, and I have to say, he does rock the crap out of the tank with 3 stacks up. We missed that part in the description of his abilities for the first couple of attempts, then got it figured out as to why we were suddenly taking so much damage. It became a little better once I knew to try to chain bubblewall and DG to get through most of the 3 stack, but I don't know how a bear could tank that in anything less than tank gear (our other tank was a well-geared bear, and he was still getting smacked pretty badly).

Though I have to say, it is a fun fight to tank, I miss fights where tank survivability is actually an issue. Most of TOGC has been more about DPS living and getting things positioned. Nice to actually feel like I NEED to use a cooldown.
Pallypete

Postby Meloree » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:37 pm

Pallypete wrote:but I don't know how a bear could tank that in anything less than tank gear (our other tank was a well-geared bear, and he was still getting smacked pretty badly).

But just think about how much FUN he had doing nearly 20k dps for 90 seconds.

If you love your bear, you'll let him/her kitten-tank the fight and MAKE it work.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Rojhaz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:45 pm

Meloree wrote:...you'll want to taunt-swap when it gets to 90 stacks...

Type alert (and you have it right later) but you want to swap at 9 stacks. Waiting 'til 90 sounds painful. :lol:
Rojhaz

Postby Steve » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:46 pm

Rojhaz wrote:Type alert

Saving for posterity.
Steve

Postby Meloree » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:49 pm

Rojhaz wrote:
Meloree wrote:...you'll want to taunt-swap when it gets to 90 stacks...

Type alert (and you have it right later) but you want to swap at 9 stacks. Waiting 'til 90 sounds painful. :lol:

Thank you. Fixed.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby kanst » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:47 pm

We ran 6 healers, and as the stacks went up we had healers switching off the raid and onto the tank. As each stack means less raid dmg and more tank dmg. Taunt at 9 stacks, pop a CD when he gets his 3rd stack...Tanks get hard, but not much harder then most fights. With our strategy at 3 stacks the tank had 2 holy pallies, a resto druid and a shaman spamming heals through him. It wasnt an issue at all keeping the tank up. The enrage timer I think is pretty fair, we beat it by 23 seconds. Its tight enough that if you lose 1 or 2 people your in trouble, but loose enough that we dont really have to min-max all our dps
kanst

Postby Kishandra » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:18 pm

It's true, the enrage is 5 minutes.

The 7500 number assumes 6 healers, 2 tanks (equals the damage of 1 dps), and 17 dps.

You can survive for -maybe- 2 seconds after he enrages, because the gas in the room starts ticking for 40k. That, and the fact that the tanks are probably doing more than 3700 (ours were easily topping 5k), will lower the average dps requirement per player to about 7300ish or so. Still, it's a reasonably tight enrage.
Kishandra

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel