Remove Advertisements

[25] Festergut

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [25] Festergut

Postby Roots » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:28 am

fafhrd wrote:How rough is the healing on the first tank? I know lots of people use a feral DPS in bear form to tank first to get him the DPS buff, but can a DPS warrior slap on a shield and tank for a while in defensive stance? My alt's terrible weekly semi pug is still wiping to his enrage. The people in it who do terrible dps still do terrible DPS with better gear, so we might as well get the DPS buff on the people who do good dps.

Assuming you're only using 2 tanks, using anything but a feral as first would probably wind up being a bad idea. First tank also takes the second 3 stack damage. A dps war with a shield would get destroyed.
Roots

Postby Anorian » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:32 am

Roots wrote:
fafhrd wrote:How rough is the healing on the first tank? I know lots of people use a feral DPS in bear form to tank first to get him the DPS buff, but can a DPS warrior slap on a shield and tank for a while in defensive stance? My alt's terrible weekly semi pug is still wiping to his enrage. The people in it who do terrible dps still do terrible DPS with better gear, so we might as well get the DPS buff on the people who do good dps.

Assuming you're only using 2 tanks, using anything but a feral as first would probably wind up being a bad idea. First tank also takes the second 3 stack damage. A dps war with a shield would get destroyed.

You would let the warrior not taunt back and use a normal tank for that phase obviously :D. It's just for stacking the debuff high on a dps'er in the start of the fight. Not for replacing a tank entirely.
Anorian

Postby Argali » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:19 am

Wait, why would you want to use 3 tanks?
Argali

Postby Belloc » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:30 pm

Argali wrote:Wait, why would you want to use 3 tanks?
They're referring to using a DPS feral druid as a "tank" at the beginning to boost that players damage (through the debuff applied by the boss). Not actually using 3 tanks.

Unless you're referring to an earlier post about the raid using 3 tanks, 7 healers, and bad dps.
Belloc

Postby Chicken » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:42 pm

Belloc wrote:They're referring to using a DPS feral druid as a "tank" at the beginning to boost that players damage (through the debuff applied by the boss). Not actually using 3 tanks.
Note that if you are considering doing so, you might also want to consider having the dps druid only stack to 8 initially, and then taunting back later for a refresh of Gastric Bloat. This will give higher overall uptime on the damage buff, even if it's a slightly smaller one to start with. Doing so properly will get 80 seconds of it going to 8 stacks, then 90 seconds of it being at 8 stacks, followed by 100 seconds of it being at 9 stacks.

You could also go for 7 stacks initially, which would potentially give your dps druid gastric bloat for the entire fight's duration.
Chicken

Postby fafhrd » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:30 pm

Screw druids, the ferals in the group are in the terrible DPS segment of the raid - only viable choices for the initial DPS tank are fury warrior, rogue or DK, of which rogue is pretty much out. Does the first tank take significant damage while building up stacks? I suppose I'd probably have to wear full plate, but the buff would still make it worth the stat loss. And no, the DPS wouldn't be tanking again later, she's only tanking at the start for the DPS debuff - so still wondering of your need crazy bear stam to pull it off or not. I suppose being crit is a risk, since a feral could presumably still spec into whatever it is that makes them uncrittable while still in mostly DPS gear?
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Avengeance » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:34 am

Or dont bother with it at all and do it properly with 2 tanks, not like the buff on a DPS is a key to killing it on any mode.
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Postby Worldie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:30 pm

Just for sake of information, DPS druids also spec in the crit immunity
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Meloree » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:43 pm

fafhrd wrote:Screw druids, the ferals in the group are in the terrible DPS segment of the raid - only viable choices for the initial DPS tank are fury warrior, rogue or DK, of which rogue is pretty much out. Does the first tank take significant damage while building up stacks? I suppose I'd probably have to wear full plate, but the buff would still make it worth the stat loss. And no, the DPS wouldn't be tanking again later, she's only tanking at the start for the DPS debuff - so still wondering of your need crazy bear stam to pull it off or not. I suppose being crit is a risk, since a feral could presumably still spec into whatever it is that makes them uncrittable while still in mostly DPS gear?

I don't think a warrior can do it. If you want to use 1 tank and a dps, that DPS has to be feral. If you want to use 2 tanks and a DPS, and the DPS only goes up to ~3 stacks (0 inhales only) it might work. You could possibly taunt back after the exhale, and go back up to 3 stacks - I don't think the timing works to save the stack, though.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Digren » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:04 am

So we got this down on Sunday! Here's what we did.

1. The druid was out, so we had a warrior tank (one with only prot specs) as first tank, and me as second tank. The third tank for the night (another warrior) did DPS in off-spec/gear (and did well, about 6k).
  2. Since the tank warrior only had prot specs, he tanked a little longer (past the second inhale) to get a bigger stack of the debuff than the druid in cat gear could tolerate.
  3. The warrior refreshed his stack after the first heavy-hitting stage, ending the fight with a 9-stack.
  4. I soaked both of the heavy-hitting phases, using DS to clear the stack once it reached nine during the second cycle. By the end of the fight, I too had a 9-stack and we were seconds away from wiping (but we didn't).
  5. We switched another healer to DPS, which dropped us further down (to five, I think) and added about 5k more DPS (he was a tree that went feral). He did just a little more DPS than I did, which was a little more than the prot warrior did, but it was more than he would have healing.
  6. Lots of players put out more DPS than they did before after all the gearing help and advice. I worked with my wife (affliction warlock) to come up with a gear strategy, and she spent the week prior investing in haste gear that yielded a 500 DPS increase. With the added DPS from the healers we hit the required raid DPS and downed him a few seconds before enrage/10-stack wipe.
  7. No one was drunk this time (I think).

We took lots of good advice from this thread. Thanks!
Digren

Postby Loras » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:44 am

Once did him for fun with me solotanking. The first time when you get 9 stacks, you bubble out, the second time you get 9 stacks, you coordinate a Divine Intervention from another pally with a cancelaura macro. Not too useful, but fun.
Loras

Previous

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel