Remove Advertisements

[10/25] Professor Putricide

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10/25] Professor Putricide

Postby Meloree » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:43 pm

Joanadark wrote:I don't understand the whole "stacking on the green slime spawn point" strat is a DPS gain, or a gain in any way whatsoever, unless your DPS are slow to switch or you are running a massively melee heavy comp. In fact, in most situations it should be a DPS loss and a loss of control.

can anyone who has done both methods explain what the benefit of this is?

Full raid dps is on the green ooze from the instant it spawns. You can zerg it down by enough that even if it picks a melee, you just let it explode you back to Putricide (who will have moved because of gas clouds), and go right back to dpsing him, dots/ranged will have no problem finishing it off before it explodes a 2nd time. Net gain is less melee movement time. We tried it in our alt raid, it bought a lot of net dps on putricide.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Avengeance » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:03 pm

I've done both method... and using hug green method yielded us a kill about 2 minutes faster than the alternating side method.

Difference is, melee can start on green as soon as it spawns, whereas if you were tanking at orange, melee would have to wait til the ooze picked up a target before going nuking it (otherwise if ooze decide to target a melee nearby, they might all die with only 6-7 of them there). Also the alternating tank method you have a lot of boss movement and melee would have to spend a lot of time running around and have decreased dps up time, as well as ranged of course because boss would be out of range if they dont move (and staying in centre is bad for both spawns).

Also if you hug green, most of teh slime pools will spawn rather close, as noone will ever be on the orange side, so the abom will have a nice time eating up and dpsing boss without running around. If you use teh alternate tank method slimes will most likely be spreaded across a much wider area as people are readjusting positions.
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Postby PsiVen » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:37 pm

Belloc wrote:I wouldn't really call it misinformation. In fact, I don't see any reason to even want to kill the slime before it explodes once. As you said, you sacrifice positioning and raid dps, something that you cannot afford to do on 25-man. The raid DPS sacrifice is immense.

Stacking on green is what I think of as a good trick to make the fight easier than the first working strat, somewhat like AoEing Hydross adds after the initially very popular banishing / single-target strategy.

I think it's highly likely that hard mode will require us to use the more challenging positioning, say by making the green ooze inflict a healing debuff and deal more damage, removing the cast time from their lock-on, etc.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Belloc » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:13 pm

Joanadark wrote:I don't understand the whole "stacking on the green slime spawn point" strat is a DPS gain, or a gain in any way whatsoever, unless your DPS are slow to switch or you are running a massively melee heavy comp. In fact, in most situations it should be a DPS loss and a loss of control.

can anyone who has done both methods explain what the benefit of this is?

DPS gain in that there is less movement time (melee to boss, melee to adds), more cleaves, more abomination dps, and it makes positioning much easier.

Control gain in that all of your assigned dps (melee + straglers if you don't have 10 melee/tanks) are already on the most likely explosion spot, guaranteeing that your healers know exactly who is going to take damage, when they are going to take it, and how to immediately deal with it. This also prevents bad Malleable Goo casts more often, since the boss will usually be stacked with the soakers, providing them safety via the ranged priority effect.

PsiVen wrote:I think it's highly likely that hard mode will require us to use the more challenging positioning, say by making the green ooze inflict a healing debuff and deal more damage, removing the cast time from their lock-on, etc.

It could definitely happen, but I honestly don't expect it to. The whole point of the slime is to group up for the explosion, why make grouping up on it a bad thing?

I'm expecting hard mode to introduce some other mechanics, if anything.
Last edited by Belloc on Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Belloc

Postby Bertman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:04 am

Is tanking him at the green spot viable in 10 man? We usually run with one or two melee
Bertman

Postby Belloc » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:10 am

Bertman wrote:Is tanking him at the green spot viable in 10 man? We usually run with one or two melee

We did it (and the achievement) on 10-man on Monday. Tank, Abomination and 3 melee seemed to cover it. If not, you can simply add another ranged.
Belloc

Postby Bertman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:52 am

Okay, thank you all for the tips, next reset he should be going down.
Bertman

Postby Kelaan » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:35 pm

Am I understanding correctly that having consistent (and highly localized) tanking / dps positions enables the abomination driver to (a) drink slime puddles more easily and (b) DPS the ooze and the boss when not drinking?

Also, can you explain more about the malleable ooze? I seem to get it cast on me (the tank) relatively requently.
Kelaan

Postby Belloc » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:44 pm

Kelaan wrote:Am I understanding correctly that having consistent (and highly localized) tanking / dps positions enables the abomination driver to (a) drink slime puddles more easily and (b) DPS the ooze and the boss when not drinking?

Also, can you explain more about the malleable ooze? I seem to get it cast on me (the tank) relatively requently.

Malleable Goo is the bouncing slime. It will never target melee unless there are less than 3/8 players at range (3 on 10-man, 8 on 25-man).
Last edited by Belloc on Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belloc

Postby themarshal » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:46 pm

Well I will definitely be proposing this "tank Putricide at the Green Ooze spawn point" strategy tonight. We tend to be melee-heavy for DPS anyway, and the extra 2-3 seconds of burn time could really help us out.
themarshal

Postby kysu » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:09 am

We downed it on 25m last night here is what we do make it a little easier. We downed him with the 3 tanks left alive. Ma epic 3.5k deeps = win :twisted:

I tanked boss on green side. When in phase 2 I pulled him from north to south so he would drop the gas out of the way so melee wouldn't get it by accident.

As far as the Malleable ooze (green thrown ooze) Your ranged just need to pay attention and move you can't afford the dps loss from that or the gas. They would either strafe or run to the boss either way worked fine you just need to be quick.

When the orange slime comes out, have you ranged get on it as soon at it spawns, melee shortly thereafter. Kiting the slime around the boss in a circle worked the best, we had a few people running to far side of the room which made the trip back to prof stupid long.

And the last thing for the abom have your resto druids spec into Revitalize its a great raid buff but it keeps the abom pretty much topped off with energy so they can drink the pools up asap.Before the 1st green slime came out our abom had 100 energy.

The timing of when you take him to p3 is really really important if get him to 37% and stop if you have less then 6seconds before a slime comes out. Kill the slime and let the dots take him to 35% then have a fun p3.

Phase 3 isn't really that bad. Just watch his timers and take large steps back because of the slimes and flaks in melee. We tank swapped @ 2 stacks 1st two tanks. 3rd tank went to 3. I took it back went to 3, next tank took it when to 3. yada yada
kysu

Postby themarshal » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:55 pm

Downed Putricide last night in two attempts after changing strategies and tanking him where the green slimes spawn. The first attempt, one of our healers got stuck in an ooze puddle AND got targeted by the green slime, preventing him from ankh-ing up. We still could have had it had we not gotten cornered by the ooze puddles in phase 3. Second attempt went off flawlessly, though.

Keeping him in one place meant that I (as the abomination) could eat the ooze and still swipe at him almost the entire fight. I could also eat the ooze fast enough to run over and DPS the gas cloud as soon as it popped. Great strategy!
themarshal

Postby Loras » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:22 pm

Is it possible by any chance for someone to record the green-side stacking strategy, even from a hunter/ranged PoV (although not a-must) cause I seem to fail in explaining to the guild why this tactic is better and that it does NOT make the fight more complicated by requiring more precise positioning. They're mostly concerned about where Putricide should be during the knockback and how people will deal with that knockback, won't it spread them, won't it ruin their dps, especially if ranged are involved into it, etc.
Loras

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:48 pm

Ya know my guild is very mellee heavy so are you saying have ranged stack to? it just seems like he'd go on targeting people over/over again before it died.

Well I'll definitly suggest this strat because it does seem to have its perks and my guild spend an hour whiping on blood prince becuase the warlock tank kept dieing and finally I said I would do it and was confident in doing it that way becuase Ir ead about it on here. just if someone could make video/ elaborate more my raid is sunday.

Postby Belloc » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:20 pm

Loras wrote:Is it possible by any chance for someone to record the green-side stacking strategy, even from a hunter/ranged PoV (although not a-must) cause I seem to fail in explaining to the guild why this tactic is better and that it does NOT make the fight more complicated by requiring more precise positioning. They're mostly concerned about where Putricide should be during the knockback and how people will deal with that knockback, won't it spread them, won't it ruin their dps, especially if ranged are involved into it, etc.

The way you deal with the knockback is simple: You run back into position. This means that the melee/soakers simply run back on top of the slime as soon as they possibly can. Melee will be doing DPS the whole time and ranged can manage. If you are really exact at positioning, everyone will get knocked back onto the same spot, which makes it even easier.

2Cute2BeStr8 wrote:Ya know my guild is very mellee heavy so are you saying have ranged stack to? it just seems like he'd go on targeting people over/over again before it died.

Well I'll definitly suggest this strat because it does seem to have its perks and my guild spend an hour whiping on blood prince becuase the warlock tank kept dieing and finally I said I would do it and was confident in doing it that way becuase Ir ead about it on here. just if someone could make video/ elaborate more my raid is sunday.

You only have ranged stacking on the add if you don't have enough melee. You want to have about 10 people stacking. That way, with nature and shadow resist up, the 10 people take about 13k damage. The more people, the less damage.

The reason you do this is to allow melee to instantly switch to and DPS the slime. Otherwise, their dps is a loss. If you had, for instance, 100% ranged dps... you would never consider this strategy. This strategy simply makes the most efficient use out of your melee dps.

Remember, the slime can and will still target ranged and healers that are not stacked up. The slime will pick a stacked target quite often and blow up immediately, but this is fine.
Belloc

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel