[25] I'm on a Boat

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25] I'm on a Boat

Postby inthedrops » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:24 pm

Well, we just tried this and thought we did it successfully. But we didn't get the achievement. We did it with what we assume would be the non cheating way (Someone said they hot fixed it, any confirmation?)

Basically, we took 4 tanks and split the dps into four groups, one dps group per tank. When the mage spawned the first tank and his team hopped over and killed the mage then hopped back. Rinse and repeat for the next three tanks. It was certainly not difficult.

One person missed the jump and fell to their death.

Otherwise we're baffled why we didn't get the achievement. We asked if anyone messed up and no one fessed up. We're an honest bunch and a progressed group so it's unusual for someone not to admit a mistake (or not know they made a mistake).

Any thoughts? Perhaps we're misunderstanding the achievement?
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Re: [25] I'm on a Boat

Postby Joanadark » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:54 pm

apart from the single jump to the ship, and the single jump back, do not use your rocket packs at all the entire fight whatsoever. Dont try to use the attack speed reduction.
jumping into the air and landing back down on the deck counts as crossing to the ship a second time.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Belloc » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:28 pm

I went through the trouble of posting this on Wowhead, so I'm going to paste it here.

NOTE: I suspect this achievement bugs out if ANYONE on the enemy ship uses their rocket shirts while already on the enemy ship. Only use them once to board the ship and once to leave the ship.

This achievement is incredibly simple to perform.

First, do not send anyone over to the enemy ship until the guns have been frozen for the first time. Once they have been frozen, send over your enemy gunship team (typically a tank and some melee). The tank should pull the enemy boss to the edge of the ship so that healers can heal without leaving the friendly gunship. The DPS should kill the battle-mage and then the rocketeers. Axethrowers are the last in line for the enemy-ship team to kill, as ranged on the friendly ship can hit them.

This team will stay on the enemy ship until either the enemy boss is hitting too hard (30ish stacks) or until another two battle-mages have been killed (3 battle-mages total). At this point, the first enemy-ship team will leave, with the tank being last.

Next you, once again, wait for the guns to freeze. At this point, your second tank and your second enemy gunship team (your ranged dps) board the enemy gunship. Repeat the above steps. Melee on your friendly ship will have to be very careful when DPSing the sergeants, as they have a nasty whirlwind.

Note: Your second team should not board the enemy gunship until the boss' buff stacks have expired.

So, to recap
:
Two gunship teams -- one tank and a selection of melee (6-7); one tank and a selection of ranged (6-7).
The first team boards the enemy ship once the guns have frozen. They kill the first battle-mage, followed by rocketeers and axe-throwers. They kill the second battle-mage. If the tank damage is healable, they kill a third battle-mage. They leave the ship directly after the third battle-mage, with the tank being the last to leave.

The second team boards the enemy ship once the guns have been frozen after the first team has returned. They stay on the ship either until the fight is over, or until the expected final cannon freeze.

Alternative things to consider: Your 4 cannon players can switch places with 4 members of your first enemy-ship team. This allows more flexibility with certain raid comps.
Belloc

Postby Joanadark » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:08 am

note that the above is the 10-MAN strat.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Rojhaz » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:13 am

Why not just split the raid into two groups, with two tanks on enemey ship and one on friendly ship? Entire Away Team jumps at same time, alternate range tanking the leader to wipe the bleed he does and avoid the large melee hits. You don't have to jump back ever, when the ship goes down you get teleported back to your own ship.
Rojhaz

Postby Meloree » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:06 am

Rojhaz wrote:Why not just split the raid into two groups, with two tanks on enemey ship and one on friendly ship? Entire Away Team jumps at same time, alternate range tanking the leader to wipe the bleed he does and avoid the large melee hits. You don't have to jump back ever, when the ship goes down you get teleported back to your own ship.

His throws stack the buff now. At least, they did for us.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Wrathy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:55 pm

Meloree wrote:
Rojhaz wrote:Why not just split the raid into two groups, with two tanks on enemey ship and one on friendly ship? Entire Away Team jumps at same time, alternate range tanking the leader to wipe the bleed he does and avoid the large melee hits. You don't have to jump back ever, when the ship goes down you get teleported back to your own ship.

His throws stack the buff now. At least, they did for us.

They did for us too. We were pissed when we didnt get the achievement and no one had left the ship. After reading this, it seems that my clever kiting for a solid part of the encounter by rocketing back and forth was the reason for fail. I can see rotating the tanks maybe working but im not sure. I got killed three times on this encounter because he was hitting to hard, his debufs got over 50 before we killed the ship.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:08 pm

Belloc wrote:NOTE: I suspect this achievement bugs out if ANYONE on the enemy ship uses their rocket shirts while already on the enemy ship. Only use them once to board the ship and once to leave the ship.

This is demonstrably wrong. We just got I'm On a Boat during an alt run, and used the "tank hops around the enemy boat ledge-kiting Saurfang" strategy.

<edit> and we did the same on 25-man this past Thursday, so unless it was hotfixed today and is only bugging on 25-man, that's not the cause.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Belloc » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:09 pm

Joanadark wrote:note that the above is the 10-MAN strat.

Except it's not.
Belloc

Postby inthedrops » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:23 am

There's a video of our kill here where we thought we should have received the achievement (as I posted above)

Looks like you can take as many tanks as you need. As mentioned we took 4 and had enough dps for the mage. We just had the cannons killing the soldiers.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby fafhrd » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:05 pm

We did the fight fine with 2 groups and 2 tanks on 25 man, not sure what all the arguing above is about - but didn't get the achievement. Wish we'd checked wow wiki for your warning belloc, I know our tanks didn't jump back and forth any more than once on and once off, but I expect some our ADD dps and healers were jumping around like idiots the whole fight anyway.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Suntanis » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:48 pm

fafhrd wrote:We did the fight fine with 2 groups and 2 tanks on 25 man, not sure what all the arguing above is about - but didn't get the achievement. Wish we'd checked wow wiki for your warning belloc, I know our tanks didn't jump back and forth any more than once on and once off, but I expect some our ADD dps and healers were jumping around like idiots the whole fight anyway.

I got the achievement on 25 man, we just used our normal raid comp. Melee, 1 tank + 2 heals went over, the tank (me) jumped around with the rocket pack multiple times on the ledge kyting saurfang so he never ever hit me while our melee killed off the battle mages and the adds at their leisure.

I agree, the melee in my group would of been rocketing around like a bunch of spastics, and I know for certain I used it at least a dozen times, so the achievement doesn't bug when you use it on their ship more then once. GL with it next week I guess? Maybe someone was silly and jumped back or it was a bug that was fixed in the hotfix/maint.
Suntanis

Postby dewkstraykr » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:57 pm

Can confirm that it works just fine when you rocket about, we got it last night on 25.

We did the mage kills in 3 sets. 1 tank, 1 healer, 4 dps each group that went over. We waited until the first mage spawned before group 1 went over. Once there, I tank the boss near the edge of enemy ship closest to our own ship, so healers over there could throw me a heal if my assigned healer couldnt for any reason. A trick I use as tank is to use my rocket pack and land right on top of where I am tanking the enemy captain every 8-10 seconds so that I can keep up the attack/run speed debuff on him, which greatly reduces the amount of stacks he gains.

We decided to stay there until 2 mages had been killed, then jump back. The second group would jump over when the third mage spawned, stay till fourth died. Third group only goes over if we needed them to, as first week we won the fight a moment after fourth mage died, and last night the fifth mage had spawned and the fight ended about 5 seconds after fifth mage died.
dewkstraykr

Postby pulexirae » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:37 am

Just did it on 10 man, NO rocketing on the other ship, executed perfectly. But...no achievement. I think it might just bug, that or maybe you gotta 1 shot it? Maybe it counted our previous wipes as visits? Who knows, but it's definitely NOT working right at times.
pulexirae

Postby Anorian » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:49 am

last nigh done on 25 no achievement...
Anorian

Next

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel