[10] Deathbringer Saurfang

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Deathbringer Saurfang

Postby Kosar » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:33 am

Florisia wrote:Damage prevented in whole apparently doesn't build stacks from the adds; okay. I drove up my block value(Via strength and some lower ilevel gear I had laying around still) to about 3.5k after buffs+Libram of the Sacred Shield and piled on some more avoidance from trinkets. I wasn't unhitable, but I still had a fair amount of avoid/block. The hits from the blood beasts got swallowed up by the block value most of the time and a large chunk of the boss's damage was getting eaten by it as well(In situations where I was actually tanking him plus his adds). We got one mark and killed him about a minute after he applied it.

Thus far, it's worked every attempt. Melee can easily switch targets and ranged don't have to run and kite them.

We tried this strategy last week and it worked great. We also went with one healer (our resto druid did an awesome job). So between the extra dps and the tanks doing AoE we had a ton of damage on Saurfang. We got him down with one mark and also got the achievement. Thanks for the tips everyone.
Kosar

Postby Rofladin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:11 am

This idea of using a block value set is interesting. I've been wearing full avoidance accessories for this fight.

We (the other tank and I) usually just ignore the adds and let the DPS burn them down while they're swinging at us. Both of our tanks are paladins, so there's a lot of AoE damage flying around up there. When the beasts spawn, they generally get stuck to us and the DPS blows them up. If one pulls off, I hit it with a taunt and let it saunter back up to the boss. They usually die before they get back to me. Our guild is not super geared by any measure, but I guess with our raid comp we've found the blood beasts trivial. We usually kill Saurfang just after the first mark.
Rofladin

Postby Rhiannon » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:47 am

I know they messed around with his bloodpower gain mechanics a bit over the last few weeks, giving him passive bp gain, I think changing it so full absorbs didn't stop him gaining bp, and then possibly changing it back so they did. Overall I'm not sure what the current state of play is for absorbs vs bloodpower gain, and it seems while trying this on 10 man heroic his bp is accumulating extremely fast with no disc priest in the raid. Would a disc make a large difference like it used to? We're already doing as much as we can to minimise his gains - Hand of Protection on the first two people to get the Boiling Blood, to completely kill BP gain from that; pretty much instant tank switches; fairly clean add kills (four ranged, tanks assisting with taunts and stuns), but our best try from the few we got last night was 18% with the first mark at ~65%, second at ~40%, and people dropping dead at 18% (lusting at 30%).
Rhiannon

Postby Belloc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:26 am

Absorbs no longer prevent BP gain. Saurfang is supposed to be very difficult on heroic, so just keep trying.
Belloc

Postby Rhiannon » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:02 pm

We got it tonight on 10. Not sure if we just lucked out or what on some tries, but there was quite a variance in when he got the first mark. On one strange attempt he didn't hit 100 BP for the first time until he was on 40% - and then people screwed the next blood beasts up and we wiped. I couldn't really see what was causing the variance, it just seemed some tries he used his abilities a lot closer to cd than others. Or possibly I didn't notice rune of blood resists or something (is it even possible to resist it?). I don't usually run our combat logs so unfortunately I forgot to record one :\. We went back to lusting at the start for the overall shorter fight length due to better stacked cds/icds, helped I guess.
Rhiannon

Postby Ragingsoul » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:47 pm

we tried him too, and yes, it's quite hard and inconsistent from tries to tries. some ties he had a mark really late, sometimes, even with everybody spread out, he gains 30 BP instantly. quite annoying. A mage can IB it, but then you loose dps, if bloodboil is on a melee and you hoP him, you also loose dps if it's on a tank and you have to switch, you can't prevent it. pretty random.
While tanking new content, one rule is important -- it's not about taking less damage; it's about being able to take more.
Ragingsoul, Palatank, Tsunadee, Resto Druid, Bisoul, Mutilate Rogue
Ragingsoul

Postby bldavis » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:53 pm

so the consensecise is avoidence gear, and get the adds burned as fast as possible?

i wonder if 2 hunters MD to each other could handle one, and have a mage/lock take the other

i havent been able to down him at all, and sadly my guild is barely geared for toc, so were not gonna be doing icc for a while.

ill try again tonight in a pug if i can find anyone not saved thats geared, pug last night was full of fail, couldnt even down marrowgar.

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Belloc » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:35 pm

There is no consensus on avoidance gear. It has been proven false that avoided attacks will not proc the Mark damage.
Belloc

Postby Chicken » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:39 pm

Belloc wrote:There is no consensus on avoidance gear. It has been proven false that avoided attacks will not proc the Mark damage.
I believe it's been proven false as well that it prevents Rune of Blood from proccing.
Chicken

Postby lochagos » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:56 pm

bldavis wrote:so the consensecise is avoidence gear, and get the adds burned as fast as possible?

As far as ICC bosses go Saurfang doesn't hit on the tanks very hard. I tend to use a DPS weapon, trinket, and libram to do what I can to help get it over quicker.
lochagos

Postby bldavis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:48 am

sorry i posted that before i had read the rest of the thread, i had to run to class.... :oops:

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Hokahey » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:24 pm

bldavis wrote:so the consensecise is avoidence gear, and get the adds burned as fast as possible?

i wonder if 2 hunters MD to each other could handle one, and have a mage/lock take the other

i havent been able to down him at all, and sadly my guild is barely geared for toc, so were not gonna be doing icc for a while.

ill try again tonight in a pug if i can find anyone not saved thats geared, pug last night was full of fail, couldnt even down marrowgar.

The adds are easily handled provided the ranged players aren't terrible. Hunters MDing to each other would be extra work for no gain.

All ranged agree on which add to kill first, raid rotates roots/snares/stuns on the other until the first is dead. It will die quickly if the people handling it can do 4k+ DPS, and start hitting it as soon as it pops up. If people tunnel vision Saurfang, or melees have a problem with holding off on splash AoE moves when the adds spawn, it makes things much harder.
Hokahey

Postby Belloc » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:42 pm

Hokahey wrote:

The adds are easily handled provided the ranged players aren't terrible. Hunters MDing to each other would be extra work for no gain.

All ranged agree on which add to kill first, raid rotates roots/snares/stuns on the other until the first is dead. It will die quickly if the people handling it can do 4k+ DPS, and start hitting it as soon as it pops up. If people tunnel vision Saurfang, or melees have a problem with holding off on splash AoE moves when the adds spawn, it makes things much harder.
I always assign one of the adds to be meleed in my 10 mans (2 adds in 25-man). Me and another paladin (or another class, if I'm the only paladin) rotate stuns on the melee add. I'll stun an add in the first set, he'll stun in the second set, and we just rotate. Talented stuns are up for every set. Adds should be dead before the stun ends, with sufficient melee.
Belloc

Postby bldavis » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:48 pm

ok so assign my ranged to down say left side beasts, and have the right one stunned and have melee take care of it?

sorry this is my huge roadblock in ICC, i can tank the first 3 bosses with my eyes closed almost by now but cannt get suarfang down :x

bldavis

Postby Hokahey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:24 am

bldavis wrote:ok so assign my ranged to down say left side beasts, and have the right one stunned and have melee take care of it?

sorry this is my huge roadblock in ICC, i can tank the first 3 bosses with my eyes closed almost by now but cannt get suarfang down :x

That should work.

If melee can't/won't keep the mob stunned long enough to kill it, it might be better to let the ranged handle both. They can just focus 1 down at a time. Keep in mind that you can assist with the stunnage, too.
Hokahey

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel