Remove Advertisements

[10] Deathbringer Saurfang

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Deathbringer Saurfang

Postby Koatanga » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:11 pm

We used 2 tanks, 2 melee, 4 ranged, and 2 healers. Killed him before he cast a single mark.

What helped:
Avoidance gear - I'm at 51% (with dodge libram) avoidance post-chill.
Range DPS not being idiots - no one can afford to get hit by the beasts.
Timely taunts - never let the boss hit a debuffed tank.

We did a few single-tank attempts, then decided to lose the extra DPS and go with two tanks. Using two tanks, we got to 30% 20 seconds faster than using a single tank.
Koatanga, Capnhammer, Shapely, Sultry, Boondoggle, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Milius » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:00 pm

We tried the 1 tank theory and it just didnt work,
2tanks is much more managable and easier witht o kill the boss
Milius

Postby Riusaki » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:13 am

Well last reset our guild did the fight using the kite method and it took us literaly 15 wipes to finally get him down. Yesterday I convinced everyone to try the melee method by keeping the adds on the melee and we 1-shot it with no problems on the first attempt. None of the range had to move at all. Saurfang cast his first and only Mark when we got him down to 2% health. It was a cakewalk compared to the kite method. We even had a dps who had never even been into ICC before.

Raid comp was:

2 Prot Pallies (Myself as MT)
1 Disc Priest
1 Holy Priest
1 Resto Sham
2 Destro Locks (both spec'd into Shadowfury)
1 Ret Pally
1 Unholy DK (spec'd into Desecration)
1 Arcane Mage
Riusaki

Postby Veilan » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:13 am

Does Mortal Strike etc. actually work on him? We kicked him with two marks pretty effortless just tanking / stunning the beasts, and I'm wondering whether the PvP-equipped MS warri was partly to credit.
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Veilan

Postby Riusaki » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:54 am

I highly doubt MS can be used on him since he is a boss and it would negate the hotfix buff Blizz did to make sure 2 tanks do the fight. If you two-tank it he should at worst maybe get one heal between tank swaps.

I was astonished how easy the melee strat made the fight. Using the kite method is just asking for huge repair bills and it has to be done almost perfectly for it to work.

Next reset we're gonna try to get him down w/o him casting any Marks.
Riusaki

Postby Argali » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:46 pm

Pre-hotfix, MS worked. Now, who knows? Probably does.
Argali

Postby Meloree » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:57 pm

MS works on the Rune of Blood heals, post hotfix.

MS did not work on Mark of the Fallen Champion dead-people heals, pre hotfix. I haven't got a log with someone dying to Mark of the Fallen Champion since the hotfix.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Veilan » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:17 pm

Thanks for the info. Makes sense - keeping the healing reductions on him is beneficial, but isn't an "I win"-button working despite taking ages / letting people die.

As for the kiting-"strat"... I'm not sure I'd ever try it with kiting. Seems way too much hassle for a fight that is design-wise nothing but a rather dull DPS-check. Have the tanks pick up the adds - they conveniently spawn right next to them - and stun them as available. If your DDs are awake and on the job, you get the things down in about 4-6 GCDs.
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Veilan

Postby Baelik » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:01 am

Well kiting has and still works really well to avoid him from getting up any Blood Points. There is a significant difference in the Blood Points he accumulates when tanks eat a few hits from the beasts every time.

We have our resident Hunter misdirecting onto a healer and a Mage with enough burst to pick up aggro. As they approach their targets I taunt them back and they die before hitting anyone. A trap helps reduce movement speed and I usually toss the shield if they start moving too fast, which also acts like a mini-taunt.

We kill him with just one mark up and nowhere near the second.
Baelik

Postby Kihra » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:52 am

Baelik wrote:Well kiting has and still works really well to avoid him from getting up any Blood Points. There is a significant difference in the Blood Points he accumulates when tanks eat a few hits from the beasts every time.

If a tank takes a hit from a beast, then the tank did something wrong. A tank should take no hits from blood beasts. Just make sure your tanks cut out AOE attacks right before the blood beasts spawn, i.e., no consecrate on the ground and stop using HotR for a bit.
Kihra

Postby Riusaki » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:08 am

On Tuesday we went back into ICC 1-shot all the bosses and used the melee strat again and got Saurfang down without him getting off a single Mark. This fight is so easy now it's not even funny.
Riusaki

Postby Threatco » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:04 pm

What melee strat?
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby Riusaki » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:22 pm

Threatco wrote:What melee strat?

The melee strat involves keeping the adds that spawn on the tanks. This allows the melee dps on Saurfang to also help dps the adds. Using this method the adds go down very fast and the ranged do not need to move for the entire fight.
Riusaki

Postby Chicken » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:49 pm

Riusaki wrote:
Threatco wrote:What melee strat?

The melee strat involves keeping the adds that spawn on the tanks. This allows the melee dps on Saurfang to also help dps the adds. Using this method the adds go down very fast and the ranged do not need to move for the entire fight.
We usually go for a mixed approach instead, we stun and have melee kill one add, while ranged handles the other add, combined with some taunt/distracting shot ping pong on the ranged add. Same result, and it means the blood beasts really won't ever hit anyone. We do something similar on 25-man, though with two blood beasts getting stunned instead of one.
Chicken

Postby Baelik » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:13 pm

Various strategies will work for this encounter. The intended mechanic from my understanding is to work together to avoid stacking BP so that life is easier for healers who have to deal with less marks.

With enough healing power you can heal through slightly more marks, so depending on how good your healers are you have a good margin for error. In the 10 man I don't see the need to let DPS die since its effectively "dumbing down" the encounter.

I can only assume that the heroic version won't be as accommodating to any strategy outside the intended mechanic.

Kihra wrote:If a tank takes a hit from a beast, then the tank did something wrong. A tank should take no hits from blood beasts. Just make sure your tanks cut out AOE attacks right before the blood beasts spawn, i.e., no consecrate on the ground and stop using HotR for a bit.

Thats good advice, but don't think you read my whole post :P
Don't go and say that the tank did something wrong coz my guild would probably say "Lets chalk another one up for..."
Baelik

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel