Remove Advertisements

[10] Deathbringer Saurfang

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Deathbringer Saurfang

Postby Shathus » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:15 am

True wrote:Last week we tried kiting to minimize blood effects. This week we kept the adds in melee...which worked much better.

We used two tanks to rotate off the healing debuff. Our warrior tank stood on the platform a little to the right. My pally tank stood on edge of the platform, slightly on the stairs basically right in front of where Saurfang spawns. Melee was on the platform a little to the left. So, all of us were in a triangle around the boss.

I Consecrated continuously and saved my Avenger's Shield for add spawns. As soon as they spawned, I hit an AS. That gave me initial aggro. Our hunter marked one of the two adds, and while I held him, the ranged burned him down. They then switched to the second add.

My goal was not to permanently root the adds...rather I wanted initial aggro...enough to hold them for 3 seconds. If one got loose at full speed, I taunted it...giving enough time for the ranged to kill it before it got back to me.

We used 2 healers + a shadow priest to execute this. We took one Mark, and that person died. But, we got the achievement on the kill.

One note...have your other tank call out when it is time to switch on Saurfang. Often, I was focusing so much on the adds, I missed when I needed to taunt Saurfang.

Good luck!

Were you in avoidance gear or your normal tank gear? Was the health gain from any add hits negligible?

We 1-shotted him last week and our group had a bunch of snares (hunter, frost nova, shaman slowing totem), plus our ranged dps was a little higher, but we just kited/snared the adds and range killed them quickly. Yesterday we went in, and we only had a mage with frost nova. Our feral was rooting one as well. But we lost a lot of dps because the mage and warlock had to spent too much time kiting and killing the adds. (mage was doing around 3.5 in the fight when he normally passes 7k)

because of our group make-up, i wanted to basically brute force it, like you said above, just consecrate, get as much aggro as I can and have both melee and ranged just burn the adds quickly. With 6 people on them, I couldn't imagine them living more than a few seconds and then we could focus on the boss. Instead we sometimes still had an add up when the next would spawn.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby True » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:44 am

Normal tank gear...about 39.3k unbuffed health and just barely block capped without buffs.

The health return was negligible AS LONG as the tanks kept rotating. The health return from the Beasts was very small.

And, clearly we did not get hit much since only one raid member was marked.

Armory me if you want to see the kind of gear I was wearing...Trueth on Whisperwind.
True

Postby ryukamiho » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:58 am

Sorry if my english isnt the best at all.

we tried with 3 healers 1 tank and 6 dps.

Holy paly, Disc priest, resto druid, prot pally, 2 hunters, enhan shaman, blood dk, furry warrior and balance druid.

Our best attempt was with 900k before someone dying from Mark of the fallen champion. We asked the disc priest to keep everyone with shields all the time to reduce the amount of Blood power saurfang would get from Blood Boil. all rangeds stayed with 12 yards from each other to avoid blood nova damage.

with adds i asked the shaman to use earthbind totem , and i keep sharing stun, avenger shield to slow and taunt when the adds are near the rangeds. With this we had no problem on killing it.

I changed the composition to 2 healers 1 tank and 7 dps. Holy Pally, Disc priest, Prot pally, Feral druid, 2 enhan shamans, fury warrior, surv hunter, fire mage and balance druid.

we entered in the 30% soft enrage with 6 points to him cast the first mark of fallen champion. We used bloodlust and we downed him before the 5 minutes mark.

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss255/wowcomfritas/WoWScrnShot_121309_213444.jpg
ryukamiho

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:02 am

The one tank method as suggested by tankspot was about the worst thing we tried for this fight. It drew out the fight longer than needs be since Saurfang's health ping pongs back and forth (the healing from one tank is NOT negligible). We wiped five or six times to that horrible method before finally reverting to two tanks. It made the fight so much simpler that way.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Argali » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:23 am

Nikachelle wrote:The one tank method as suggested by tankspot was about the worst thing we tried for this fight. It drew out the fight longer than needs be since Saurfang's health ping pongs back and forth (the healing from one tank is NOT negligible). We wiped five or six times to that horrible method before finally reverting to two tanks. It made the fight so much simpler that way.

In theory it works. In 10 man, he leeches 5.1k to 6.9k hp, and heals him for 5x. Assuming 2.4s attack speed, and 40% avoidance,[(6k average*5/2.4)*0.6] that means he heals for an average of 7.5k hps. So... if by replacing a tank, you get >7.5k dps, single tank.

Tanks do 3k dps? Dps do 8k? That's a 5k difference, so um... no.
Argali

Postby Shathus » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:33 am

True wrote:Normal tank gear...about 39.3k unbuffed health and just barely block capped without buffs.

The health return was negligible AS LONG as the tanks kept rotating. The health return from the Beasts was very small.

And, clearly we did not get hit much since only one raid member was marked.

Armory me if you want to see the kind of gear I was wearing...Trueth on Whisperwind.

I assume you mean barely block capped NOT counting Chill of the Throne? :) (which I'm assuming as well based on your armory). Looks about the same gear/stats I have. I had even alternated between throwing on 2 avoidance trinkets since his hits didn't seem that hard overall.

We were on top of the tank switching. So that shouldn't be a problem. If we can get the group back in there this weekend I'll have to try more forcibly to suggest we try the 'nuke the adds while I tank them' strat
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Kuma » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:35 am

We used the kite method on our first kill last week. The fight took A LOT of concentration. As a Pally tank, you really have to limit yourself to what abilities you use and when. Only concecrate AFTER the adds take off running. Same of HotR. During points where the other tank would take Saurfang, I would run out and hit one of the adds with a HoJ. We discovered that this tactic only worked if we ran the fight with 2 healers, and kept 3 melee on the boss at all times and the 3 range would take the adds down.

I like the idea of just burning the adds down that has been suggested. Going to try that tonight. Still sticking to 2 tanks, though. It's hard to believe that some people have pulled it off with him healing so much off of one tank.

One last note: We got the achievement for killing him before he got 2 marks up (our kiting was pretty top notch) but it it made me think that we must've been doing something wrong since the ONLY WAY we could kill him was the tactic that burned him down before 2 marks. Oh well, whatever works I guess. :lol:
CC used to stand for "Constant Consecration" /mourn

Kuma

Postby True » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:51 am

Yeah, before Chill of the Throne...stupid debuff.

Last night's run was pally tank, warrior tank, pally healer, priest healer, shadow priest, 3 warlocks, a rogue and a hunter. We did use drums for missing buffs, but I did not have all the potential avoidance buffs. Even so, the warrior and I never felt like we were hurting for health. The only time the healers were stressed was when we got a Mark.

Seriously though...tanking the blood beasts does not need to be about brute tanking. You will get fewer blood buffs on Saurfang is you initially grab then, but then ignore them. With decent dps, 2-3 seconds if enough to keep the adds off the ranged the vast majority of the time. Consecrate, Avenger Shield, Hammer...never taking focus off the boss. IF an add breaks loose at full speed, HoR it for a ping-pong.

As a pally, your job will be much tougher than the other tank. Enjoy the extra work! Makes for a fun little challenge.
True

Postby ryukamiho » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:46 am

Argali wrote:In theory it works. In 10 man, he leeches 5.1k to 6.9k hp, and heals him for 5x. Assuming 2.4s attack speed, and 40% avoidance,[(6k average*5/2.4)*0.6] that means he heals for an average of 7.5k hps. So... if by replacing a tank, you get >7.5k dps, single tank.

Tanks do 3k dps? Dps do 8k? That's a 5k difference, so um... no.

Aimed Shot/Mortal Strike work in the ammount of hp Saurfang Leechs?
ryukamiho

Postby Belloc » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:06 pm

Solo-tanking Saurfang is no longer a good idea.

Deathbringer Saurfang's Rune of Blood has been modified to heal 10 times the amount of damage dealt instead of 5 times the damage. This will make the encounter more difficult if you try to tank Saurfang with just one character. The tooltip does not reflect this change, but it will in a future patch.
Belloc

Postby Flex » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:57 am

This is how we handled it.

Raid was made up of 1 Paladin Tank, 1 Warrior Tank, 1 Rogue, 1 Ret Paladin, 1 Hunter, 1 Warlock, 1 Elemental Shaman, 1 Moonkin, 1 Holy Paladin, 1 Resto Shaman

So 2 melee, 4 ranged for DPS.

Ranged DPS was split into two side groups of Moonkin/Elemental and Hunter/Warlock. When Blood Beasts spawned the Elemental would Frost Shock one for High Threat and automatic snare while the Hunter would Distracting Shot the other for the fixate to build threat. With two knockbacks on the Shaman/Druid side they never took damage. Hunter/Warlock side used frost traps and the warlock stun to not take damage. I believe he cast his second Mark during the Frenzy period. Was a very simple kill once I re-glyphed for taunt hit.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby kysu » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:33 am

Ranged/Healers Spread out ~ 10 yards if you can help it

Beasts pop, ranged need to blow them up, do not get hit by them. Holy pallie with RF on helps some, you can also taunt mobs when they are half way to ranged so they can nuke. (If they can kill it before it gets to you.)

If 2 tanking just switch when you get the mark. Stack avoidance less he hits you less rune power he gets.

Lust and start rolling cooldowns/saves @ 30%.

If you are really having a problem with that debuff let the 1st person die who gets it(if it is a dps). It will make him cast his 2nd debuff alot slower, not gaining constant rune power from the marked person. also do not battle rez them they still have the debuff.
kysu

Postby Kuma » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:11 pm

The burn tactic worked last night. We facerolled through ICC with ZERO wipes and I set my raid up to burn down the adds while tanks picked them up. Each time the beasts spawned I threw my AS and hit HotR, followed by a HoJ at one of them. Got a little tricky when you have to watch your cooldowns, wait for the spawn, AND make sure to taunt Saurfang off the other tank in time. It worked, though. He only got 2 marks off before we killed him we only lost one DPS to the first mark.

We got the achievement the first time we killed him so I guess we'll just go the easy route from now on. Thanks for the suggested tactic. Took me awhile to convince my raid but I'm sure after the easy kill (and not wiping on him) they were happy with the results.
CC used to stand for "Constant Consecration" /mourn

Kuma

Postby Tetsuo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:20 am

We did this last night. Was my first time in the 10 man (had a peek at 25 man last week but only first two bosses). Almost downed him the first time which i was surprised at but eventually got him on the third attempt.

We rolled with 2 pala tanks, 3 healers (pala, priest, shammy), 2 melee (blood dk, rogue), 3 ranged (bm hunter, mm hunter, warlock).

Strategy wasn't anything fancy. tanks taunted the boss when we had rune. I was watching the spawn timer for the adds and calling at 10 seconds before they were due so that myself and the other tank knew to skip HotR in our next rotation. When the adds spawned the two hunters actively picked up one each with distracting shot and kited them dropping frost traps with the warlock helping to kill them.
Consecrate didn't seem to be an issue for us. we could still keep dropping it and the hunters could pull the adds away before we were in trouble.
Heroism at 30% and kept on going with the add pickups and it went really smoothly.

Fun fight really. shame i couldn't have kept my jetpack from the airship though :(
Tetsuo

Postby Bido » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:45 am

Flex wrote:This is how we handled it.

Raid was made up of 1 Paladin Tank, 1 Warrior Tank, 1 Rogue, 1 Ret Paladin, 1 Hunter, 1 Warlock, 1 Elemental Shaman, 1 Moonkin, 1 Holy Paladin, 1 Resto Shaman

So 2 melee, 4 ranged for DPS.

Ranged DPS was split into two side groups of Moonkin/Elemental and Hunter/Warlock. When Blood Beasts spawned the Elemental would Frost Shock one for High Threat and automatic snare while the Hunter would Distracting Shot the other for the fixate to build threat. With two knockbacks on the Shaman/Druid side they never took damage. Hunter/Warlock side used frost traps and the warlock stun to not take damage. I believe he cast his second Mark during the Frenzy period. Was a very simple kill once I re-glyphed for taunt hit.

This is the same way we did it yesterday. 2 tanks, 4 range, 2 melees and 2 healers.
Mage/Priest killed the left beast with help of an earthbind totem. Right beast was killed by two hunters with a frost trap slowing the beast.
The tanks rotated as soon as one got the Rune of Blood.

Killing the beast without hitting one is the key in this fight. We got only one mark and kill him without deads. I weared my normal tank gear, no special avoid gear. I think if you can managed to get only one maximal two marks then this is no problem.
Bido

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel