Remove Advertisements

[25] Deathbringer Saurfang

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [25] Deathbringer Saurfang

Postby Fugg » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:30 am

In 10man we did it with just me as the only tank. We got him down under 1million HP. Problem was our second tank had no dualspec and did only 2,6k dps doing 2,3million dmg where our best dps did 6million dmg. Will try it again today with better dps. I tanked one of the adds and snarred the other one which was focused by ranged. We had 2 healers (Priest/Druid). It really just is a dps race.
Fugg

Postby inthedrops » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:01 am

Fugg wrote:In 10man we did it with just me as the only tank. We got him down under 1million HP. Problem was our second tank had no dualspec and did only 2,6k dps doing 2,3million dmg where our best dps did 6million dmg. Will try it again today with better dps. I tanked one of the adds and snarred the other one which was focused by ranged. We had 2 healers (Priest/Druid). It really just is a dps race.

Blood Beast Melee Hit: 3 BP is gained per melee hit by a Blood Beast

Rune of Blood: 1 BP is gained per melee hit by Deathbringer on a tank that has Rune of Blood

I know it can be solo tanked on 10. But if that's your strat then tanking one of the adds is adding 3 times the BP than is necessary from you. Combined with tanking with Rune of Blood debuff, your DPS race has also turned into a healing race to keep the raid alive. Since you didn't kill him, I can only assume you wiped due to too many marks causing eventual healer attrition.

Since his DPS wasn't good, you'll probably go a long way with two tanks and not tanking an add. However, stun seems like a pretty good idea to me.

This is the 25 man thread however. Has anyone tried a one tank strat on 25? Is it just as doable there?

Second question for me, are the little adds tauntable? Seems like a good idea to help kite them around a bit, especially when they manage off to the sides due to people being too spread out.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Curious » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:20 am

We downed this guy last night. (Addditional instance can not be loaded at this time…)

Biggest tip I have is controlling the adds well makes this fight a lot easier.

Could anyone confirm the Mark ability for me? If the tank avoids the attack - do the Marked people still take the hit from the boss? If the tank has shield wall up (for example), will the Marks similarly take less damage?
Curious

Postby Dalithe » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:41 am

When we finally got our kill we solo tanked it and had specified Range and Melee picked out to control adds without getting hit. Range would Nuke them, they would run through traps, get part way to the range and a warrior would charge/intercept stun them and then the beasts would die. Or DK would chain of ice them.

My advice for paladin tanks would be continue using consecration as it only tics for 25-38 damage and with your DPS each picking up an add. (Adds spawn in pentagram positions around him). Hammer of the Righteousness is a big no no though if you're unsure when they're going to spawn. The HotR cleaves for full damage and once they hit your holy shield they'll stay on you for another 5-8 seconds just buffing the boss.

Once we get controlling the adds down for sure and people are comfortable we'll probably switch to 2 tanking this in preparation for heroic mode. As I'm sure the debuff he puts on the tank will matter more then.
Dalithe

Postby Rojhaz » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:26 am

inthedrops wrote:This is the 25 man thread however. Has anyone tried a one tank strat on 25? Is it just as doable there?
We single tanked him and had someone with Mark of the Champion die twice and we still killed him. 25-Man is easily solo tanked.
Rojhaz

Postby Rithale » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:26 pm

Well we know the reason for the pally 4 piece set bonus now. should make solo tanking the boss very doable on heroic mode when it comes out
Rithale

Postby sherck » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:29 am

Question for the firewall impaired...

Can you get rid of Surfang's Mark by any of the "typical" means? Divine Shield being the one that I was most thinking of?

How about if the Marked player "dies" and is brought back by either AD or Guardian Spirit ? If they die for "real" and you B-rez them, do they still have the Mark ?

I think the "letting the Marked player die" method seems to be pretty solid, especially in 10-man but was wondering if the first guy Marked is a healer if there are "ways" around not losing them for the whole encouter.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers
sherck

Postby Niinbob » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:41 am

I assume you could get rid of the Mark of Blood with DS, I don't see why you couldn't. Mark of the Fallen Champion cannot be removed by any means whatsoever, the person he casts it on will have it untill the end of the fight. Even if that person dies then you BR him, he will still have it
Niinbob

Postby sherck » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:45 am

Niinbob wrote:I assume you could get rid of the Mark of Blood with DS, I don't see why you couldn't. Mark of the Fallen Champion cannot be removed by any means whatsoever, the person he casts it on will have it untill the end of the fight. Even if that person dies then you BR him, he will still have it

Thanks for the quick response....I did mean Mark of the Fallen Champion.

So whoever gets it is either healed through it making the boss tougher faster or is left to die....an interesting choice depending on who gets it early.

Thanks.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Ardrhyst » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:20 am

Niinbob wrote:I assume you could get rid of the Mark of Blood with DS, I don't see why you couldn't. Mark of the Fallen Champion cannot be removed by any means whatsoever, the person he casts it on will have it untill the end of the fight. Even if that person dies then you BR him, he will still have it

Important distinction here. If you Rebirth them and they have not released their spirit, they will have the mark. If you have the person release spirit and go back to the graveyard, and THEN Rebirth them, there will be no mark.

It's an easy way to let the first few unlucky ones eat dirt, and then bring them back to provide the DPS and healing you want.
Biggest Game Hunter, as well as collector of pets and mounts. Currently hunting paladins' former glory.
Ardrhyst
Maintankadonor

Postby Niinbob » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:24 am

Ardrhyst wrote:Important distinction here. If you Rebirth them and they have not released their spirit, they will have the mark. If you have the person release spirit and go back to the graveyard, and THEN Rebirth them, there will be no mark.

It's an easy way to let the first few unlucky ones eat dirt, and then bring them back to provide the DPS and healing you want.

That i did not know, good info
Niinbob

Postby Meloree » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:02 am

Ardrhyst wrote:Important distinction here. If you Rebirth them and they have not released their spirit, they will have the mark. If you have the person release spirit and go back to the graveyard, and THEN Rebirth them, there will be no mark.

Hopefully fixed soon, obviously not an intended mechanic. While I think the "let them die" strategy is interesting, and has merit, the release/rebirth thing pretty much ends up in the category of "exploit" for me.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Ardrhyst » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:09 am

Meloree wrote:

Hopefully fixed soon, obviously not an intended mechanic. While I think the "let them die" strategy is interesting, and has merit, the release/rebirth thing pretty much ends up in the category of "exploit" for me.

I'm guessing you're correct, and I also have some misgivings in using such a strategy. However, all such discussions inevitably bring me back to Ragnaros, and the endless debates in my guild over whether to use the LBRS fire resistance buff. Many hours wasted, many tempers boiled over, and in a few months, barely anyone even remembered.

It works. Some will use it, and some won't. Blizzard's not going to care, and it's up to you (and I mean the general you all, not you, Meloree) to decide where your personal ethics stand on the issue.
Biggest Game Hunter, as well as collector of pets and mounts. Currently hunting paladins' former glory.
Ardrhyst
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:57 am

There's a post in the PTR forums about a Saurfang exploit, and in traditional Blizzard fashion it was read, recorded and removed. So be careful what you're using.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Wrathy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:03 am

I read somewhere (a blog or here) that there is a very easy way to do this encounter. Now I would like to provide a disclaimer that I am not a blizzard employee and I can not ascertain if this is Clever Use of game mechanics or exploitation, but it makes the encounter a joke.

You tank Saurfang on the platform where the portal is near the edge, and you have everyone spread out as usual (basically a mirror of the current typical strat). Then, when the blood beasts come out, instead of killing them or kiting them in frost patches while dpsing them down, you just thunderstorm/typhoon them off the ledge and they fall to their death. This should make the encounter last about 2-3 minutes max with no switching dps.

I looked through the patch notes and there was nothing that said this was fixed yet, so I am going to give it a shot this week to let you all know if it works. Anyone else use this yet?
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel