[25] Deathbringer Saurfang

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [25] Deathbringer Saurfang

Postby Chicken » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:18 pm

Zobel wrote:More Blue:
We did make some changes to the fight to make the "Just let people with Marks die" strategy not something you want to do, but it was not our intention to make the fight drastically more difficult. We're currently looking over his abilities to see what's happening.
That's about what I figured, I'd wager that the thing people are reporting with absorption effects no longer preventing Blood Power gain are intended as well, while unlikely for the 25-man that you won't have a priest capable of shielding people for it, it's something that reduces the 'need' for a discipline priest on the 10-man version of the encounter.

They just seem to have slightly overtuned the amount of BP he gains from Boiling Blood now. That is, for some raids, there's plenty of people that can still kill him just fine now of course, but I'd guess they're continuing with their plan to have the first wing of ICC fairly simple with the latter wings being where things start to get a bit more challenging.
Chicken

Postby Belloc » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:15 pm

Since it doesn't hurt to spell it out...

Letting people with marks die is not something you want to do = melee hits on the tank no longer generate blood power for each marked player. In other words, letting players die is now pointless, as are cannons.
Belloc

Postby Argali » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:05 pm

Belloc wrote:Since it doesn't hurt to spell it out...

Letting people with marks die is not something you want to do = melee hits on the tank no longer generate blood power for each marked player. In other words, letting players die is now pointless, as are cannons.

Eh, doesn't the damage from marks give him more BP?
Argali

Postby Maridian » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:52 pm

Argali wrote:Eh, doesn't the damage from marks give him more BP?

Apparently it no longer does, which is probably the adjustment that makes it no longer advantageous to let people die. I suspect the intended fix was to increase his RP gen from all other sources so he more consistently marks, rather than 1 quite late in the fight which funnels a ton of RP to him.
"Our only hope is revolution. I'll put up a sign-up sheet. We need one person to bring pitchforks, one person to bring torches.... am I thinking of revolution, or killing Frankenstein monsters?"
Maridian

Postby Rhiannon » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:26 pm

Blood Nova has a preference for ranged, à la Vezax' shadow crash, Mimiron's rockets, Festergut/Rotface heroic's Vile Gas, Putricide's Malleable Ooze, right? I don't recall ever seeing it go off on the melee at any rate. If this is the case, does anyone know what the threshold value is? Typically you need at least 3 people outside of melee range on 10 man, and 8 people on 25, for the game to not cast the ranged-preferring ability in the middle of the melee, anyone know if this is the case for Saurfang? Ideally I'd like to stack as many healers in melee range as possible, to give the ranged dps enough room to spread out so they're all out of blood nova range of each other, but I'm not sure if having only 9-10 people at range will cause him to blood nova the healer/melee pile.
Rhiannon

Postby kovaras » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:11 am

greetings..

i'm a frequent visitor here and that was since tbc. this i believe would be the first time i'm contributing something since apparently some ppl are still having problem with this encounter. My guild is sort of average casual and we have not be able to go beyond dbs-25 so far, even though this encounter by itself is not an issue for us (even when he's bugged). we do not sacrifice anyone either and got the meta achievement after he was fixed recently and our first kill was before lady nerf.

Our strat for this fight might be posted in the earlier pages, but here is how we do it anyway.

tanks
- 2 tanks stack up right in front of him below the stairs. tanks should not move throughout the fight.
- pay attention to dbm warning for rune of blood on the other tank. taunt immediately
- with this positioning the trash will always spawn at the same place; 1 on top of tanks, 1 left of tanks, 1 right, 1 behind dbs left side and 1 behind dbs right side.

healers
- we use 6
- spread throughout the room and can reach everyone in the raid.
- resto shamans stacks with melee and always put down earthbind totem (earthbind totem from resto don't have the rooting effect like elemental)
- grp up resto shamans with tanks and melee for healing totem.
- we always have 1 disc priest to pws those with bloodboil and mark of the fallen champ (motfc).
- 1 holy pally can cover the first two motfc.

melee dps
- 8-9 total
- take out 2 trash that spawn at the back of dbs.
- 2 ret pally rotate their stun on 1 side (1 stun per wave). if not enough ret, use holy pally or tank to rotate with the ret
- all other melee except rogues on the trash that's being stunned. rogues tot the other one to prot pally (if any) and keep it stun lock to their best ability. if there's a third ret, use to extra ret to cc this one as well. if the add got close to the prot pally, just stun it. if stun on cd, it's fine, just stand there and let melee take it out.

range dps
- 7-8 total
- split into 3 grps and 3 sides; middle (behind tank and near the portal), left and right. either 2/3/3 or 2/2/3. We had even done it with 2/2/2 before. each side take out 1 trash only; the one that spawn on top of tank, to left and to the right of tank.
- try to get either 1 mage, 1 boomkin or 1 ele shaman on each side. mage nova if add got close. boomkin and ele shaman knockback. don't knockback too soon as it could screw up the melee target. sometimes knockbacks not even required. help the other side if the trash within range.
- minimized movement to avoid chaining blood nova, especially chaining it to melee grp.
- do not aoe. single target your assigned target asap. single target instant cast opener to grab quick agro.

others
- lust/heroism around ~20-23%
- assign specific healer for each motfc. 1 holy pally can cover 2 motfc ez.
- use markings on the floor for range positioning. the > < in the midle and the / \ besides the portal and etc etc.
- applicable in dbs-10 as well, melee take 1 side, range take 1 side. no motfc in dbs-10
kovaras

Postby Methodis » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:41 pm

How come sometimes my taunts will be "immune" on him?
Captaìnkurr - 80 Paladin
Methodis

Postby Flitter » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:43 pm

Patch 3.3.0 (2009-12-08): Taunt Diminishing Returns: We've revised the system for diminishing returns on Taunt so that creatures do not become immune to Taunt until after 5 Taunts have landed. The duration of the Taunt effect will be reduced by 35% instead of 50% for each taunt landed. In addition, most creatures in the world will not be affected by Taunt diminishing returns at all. Creatures will only have Taunt diminishing returns if they have been specifically flagged for that behavior based on the design of a given encounter.
Flitter

Postby Methodis » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:14 pm

Well, what's a good way to counter that?
Captaìnkurr - 80 Paladin
Methodis

Postby Treck » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:24 pm

I dont think you can make deathbringer immune to taunt. If it is possible, then you have to be better at taunting when your suppose to.
The rune debuff lasts for 20sec iirc, and he sometimes waits a few sec with applying it. If i remember the tauntmechanics right (posted in anotehr recent topic), as long as theres 20.5sec between taunt nr 5 and 6, it should have resetted. This would be more than enough to reset itself automaticly if your taunting when you are suppose to.
If you now anyway wouldnt be able to taunt it, BoP your Co-tank (should it be warr/dk/druid) or HoSalv him to get rid of the boss those vital seconds. That atleast would reset the taunt DR.
Treck

Postby Methodis » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:32 pm

I usually hit taunt right when Rune of Blood appears in DBM; is that not the optimal time? :shock:

Edit: Oh and is there a add-on that anyone knows of that does a taunt timer?
Captaìnkurr - 80 Paladin
Methodis

Postby Xfighter » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:35 pm

Also make sure your Co-Tank isn't using Taunts randomly in their rotation, either. That could be whats causing the "immune" error.
Xfighter

Postby Methodis » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:39 pm

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

That's it. I'm using the taunts randomly in my rotation. God I am such a idiot. Sorry to waste your guys' time. I forgot I usually pop HoR, then pop it again when I have saurfang just to make sure I have the aggro. Shit, I feel like a idiot.

I'm sure the other tank is too so i'll let him know also.
Captaìnkurr - 80 Paladin
Methodis

Postby Treck » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:30 am

Then your taunting him back and forth when you dont want a tauntswap to happen.
IF you got aggro, hitting HoR wont do shit, no damage and no taunt i think, atleast it wont do any damage, but it might cause the taunt to "be used" and cause DR.
Treck

Postby Chicken » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:37 am

Treck wrote:Then your taunting him back and forth when you dont want a tauntswap to happen.
IF you got aggro, hitting HoR wont do shit, no damage and no taunt i think, atleast it wont do any damage, but it might cause the taunt to "be used" and cause DR.
It still applies the taunt debuff yes, only the damage component depends on you not being the mob's current target. And the taunt debuff is what the DR's are based on.
Chicken

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel