Avenging Wrath

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Avenging Wrath

Postby VikrumthePally » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:50 am

When do you use it?

Is this something that should be done to load a ton of threat up front or something better saved for mid fight? I know it's very situational but just curious some uses you guys/gals get out of it.

For instance I am staring down a boss I want to keep aggro on the entire fight do I cast in this sequence?

Avenging Wrath
SoR
Frisbee
HS
Consecrate max rank
JoR
SoR
etc
VikrumthePally

Postby Mordinm » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:53 am

No real reason not to Seal before you pop Avenging Wrath. The seal will still be up when you need to judge it and you'll get an extra global cooldown worth of Avenging Wrath.
Mordinm

Postby jere » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:02 am

I typically wait till I have a full rotation ready to go before popping avenging wrath. That way I milk it for every second. Popping it before a pull only reduces the amount of extra threat it could have generated. There are exceptions to this. I pop it first for Kael in Heroic MrT since I don't want forbearance up when pyroblast comes.
jere

Postby Arcand » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:19 am

As soon as I have a five-stack up, and - oh, sorry.

I do it once I'm settled in, and preferably after I've brought up Holy Shield and Consecration. Then I can do AW, judge, and have a few seconds to try and throw a shield if I'm really panicked about threat, before it's time to bring HS and Cons up again.

Between the wasted run-in time and the possibility of Avenger's Shield missing, I've just never liked opening with it. Our opening threat is quite good even without the 1.3.
Arcand

Postby Spectrum » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:23 am

I like to use it early in the fight to build a good threat lead. This helps in case things go south later.

My usual pull goes like this:

Seal of the Crusader
Avenger's Shield
Toss up HS and Consecrate
Avenging Wrath
Judge Crusader + Seal of Righteousness
Continue rotation with SoR until AW fades
Judge Righteousness + Seal of Vengeance
continue rotation with SoV

I like using it because it helps give me a large threat buffer while I get my stacks of SoV up. I feel that SoV is more TPS over the long run, but it takes a while to get going.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby solina » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:33 am

And I use it on the last 20% to amplify a few hammers (and keep my comfortable lead over executing dps warriors and such).
solina

Postby Jellypop » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:04 pm

pretty much, as soon as positioning is done and you have your judgement + conceration timer almost ready ( about 3 seconds)

pop AW
pop destruction potion
pop conc
judge

make sure you previously judged SoTC.

frisbee also helps if it's a slow attacking boss.

AW + DP = THREAT.
Jellypop

Postby Daine » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:18 am

I approach it the same way as Jere, as AW is multiplicative you really should wait until you've got your rotation going to use it to milk it for what it's worth. Early aggro is snappy enough in my opinion to not need the wings, so once I've got JotC up and a good stack of Vengeance (situationally), I pop the wings.
GM of The New Expedition, Defias (EU). 9/9 BT, 5/5 MH, 1/6 SWP.
Daine

Postby Kellann » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:24 am

Arcand wrote:As soon as I have a five-stack up, and - oh, sorry.

^This

Basically I rarely pop it when opening up, preferring to wait until positioning etc are golden - then popping it.

Used before tossing a shield to pull, say Nalorakk, you'd:
-risk missing with the toss (defeating the intended purpose)
-lose amplified consec ticks while positioning
-lose an amp'd JoR if you're applying JoW
etc
Kellann - Uther
Kellann

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:49 pm

If the fight isn't requiring a lot of movement, anytime after you are about to do the second judgment is perfect.

I judge wis/cru/whatever, then do my thing. When judgment is almost up I pop AW and then on every cooldown if I won't need the bubble. On trash pulls I try to pop it every CD too, as soon as I cast consecration on the pack.
(for trash I found out I benefit more from spreading my threat cds: AW on a pull, trinket on the next, repeat)
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Return to Basic Training & Talents