Remove Advertisements

caster DPS vs tankadin threat scaling from +dmg

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

caster DPS vs tankadin threat scaling from +dmg

Postby Marker » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:05 am

I just have a quick question:

Given that a wellgeared caster DPS and a tankadin is comparing the threat generated by adding a fixed amount of +dmg, is the pally getting more +threat than the caster. Say I'm (+430 dmg) competing for aggro with a +1300 dmg mage. Adding a Wrath of Air totem, would that increase my threat generation more than the mage?

What I'm gettign to: If we're "competing" to top the threatlist and the mage is already BoS'ed, who's aggrobuilding would benefit most from the fixed +dmg? (not that the mage want's the threat, but you catch my drift...).

Guess it boils down to how much tps +1SD iis for mages and other caster DPS classes, since +1SD is roughly +0.5 TPS for pallies...

Pardon the crappy wording, hope you guys understand it.
Marker

Postby Robin de tolens » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:58 am

Obviously we tankadins benefit more frome spell damage, and I think it's only because of the threat multipliers and the coefficients on our spells.

So if you and the mage both have WoA totem, you will benefit more.

To be concrete : how would you compete with a 1300 spell damage mage if you didn't need less spell damage?
Krahla - 80 Warlock
Elemmírë - 70 Priest
Veljen - 25 Shaman
The reliable protection of the horseman is DONKEY of the bathroom
Robin de tolens

Postby Lookit » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:59 am

Your spell damage gets the benefit of a 1.9 threat multiplier while a salved mage gets the benefit of a .7 threat multiplier.

Even without getting into the mechanics of each individual ability and how much extra TPS it gains per point of spell damage, I think it's safe to say that our threat scales better with spell damage :)
Lookit

Postby Lore » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:10 am

Also keep in mind that casters (especially with Salv) are generating less threat than they are damage, whereas you are generating significantly more threat than damage.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby caboom » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:29 pm

Also casters and all range attackers need to reach 130% of your threat to get aggro from a mob, that should stand for alot more dmg from their side with the same threat effects.
caboom

Return to Basic Training & Talents