Remove Advertisements

Prot Questing in Outland

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Prot Questing in Outland

Postby Razakel » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:28 am

Thanks to the massive amount of helpful information on these boards, I have had no problem tanking anything since level 45 or so, but questing since I hit Outland has been horrid. I suspect my problem is that I have too many points in Prot, but I'm really lost as to where I can put them that would help me to burn things down faster while still surviving the fight. I also recognize that I quest in the same gear I tank in, which is heavy on defense, but lacks stamina/Intellect/spellpower. Any and all advice is appreciated.
Stanislaus - 66 BE - Robot Kitten Happy Train - Tichondrius
Razakel

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:32 am

While you're not level 70, both stamina and spell power are invaluable compared to defense.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby moduspwnens » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:33 am

Well, basically... if you're prot, you're gonna be good at tanking lots of things that don't cast spells, and don't stun. If you don't mind grinding on these, or your quests have you grinding on these, or you prefer running instances, then Prot is probably a good idea for leveling.

However, if none of those things apply, and you can deal with virtually sealing Command or Blood and Crusader Striking every 8 seconds or so til 70, you're probably better off Ret. I suppose you could get more spell damage, and yes, that would help a little, but paladins suck to level. It wouldn't hurt to try Ret, or even Holy if you're bored.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Re: Prot Questing in Outland

Postby Peryl » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:57 am

Razakel wrote:Thanks to the massive amount of helpful information on these boards, I have had no problem tanking anything since level 45 or so, but questing since I hit Outland has been horrid. I suspect my problem is that I have too many points in Prot, but I'm really lost as to where I can put them that would help me to burn things down faster while still surviving the fight. I also recognize that I quest in the same gear I tank in, which is heavy on defense, but lacks stamina/Intellect/spellpower. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Agree with Snake. Stack stam over defense right now. You don't really need to worry about def until 70. There is gear that has stam/int/spell power, I think it's "of the sorcerer". Visit the AH and grab some. Also, when you run BF or SP, try to grab that spell mace/sword. Then you can jem for stam on your items.

For talents, I went 5/5 reckoning, 2/5 one handed weapon specialization and 1/3 Precison until 70 and didn't really have issues. I would maybe take a few points and move them to Ret. Benediction should help your mana a bit for judging / sealing.

All in all, I didn't have much problems in outlands grinding/soloing. Just try to stick to physical guys, round um up and AOE um down :lol:
Peryl
70 Tankadin
Muradin
Peryl

Postby Razakel » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:53 am

I think for the sake of my sanity that going over to Ret is going to be my best option. I've been Ret before, so I doubt I'll struggle with it any, but I am going to miss being able to get a group whenever I wanted.
Stanislaus - 66 BE - Robot Kitten Happy Train - Tichondrius
Razakel

Postby Kathane » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:14 pm

Razakel wrote:but I am going to miss being able to get a group whenever I wanted.

Then why miss it? Pick and choose your quests, do the ones that get you gear upgrades. And instance, instance, instance. PUG like crazy. You will 1) develop a core of healers you trust to PUG with, 2) meet some good DPS, 3) gear yourself well on your way to 70 and 4) Have a metric CRAP TON of gold available to you in the form of quest rewards.

At 70, I probably have 20-30% of HFP quests undone, and more than that in all other zones. The only BEM quests I've done were for CenEx rep, and the only Netherstorm ones were quest reward related, Arc Key chain and Consortium repeatable rep. I'll get full rep value from my quests (having capped out most of my rep gains from normal instances), and a ton of money, any time I feel like knocking out a few quests.

At 60, unless there is no PUG scene on your server, there's no reason you should ever have to look for +AP plate again :lol:
"What's the kill order?"
"This room, the next room, the hallway, and then the boss."
*throws shield*

Kathane

Return to Basic Training & Talents