Lower Level uncrit stats?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Lower Level uncrit stats?

Postby Meatydog » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:02 am

Im not sure about this and im sure the title is confusing as ever but i just had a idea that since this place is for new tanks and tanks that are 70 and just gearing for the end of the world.
What would the possibility of getting stats for lower level tanks?
Like starting at SM(any of them) and up? Cause i started being a tank when i was lvl 32 and was blind as a bat gearing for everything.

I understand the gear isnt that great compared to the 70 stuff, but in order to get awesome tanks in end game shouldnt we get them on the right track in the beginning?

I know when i was lvl 68-69 i was not geared right for my purpose. even though i was still tanking... it put lots of stress on my healer(s) and we would wipe many times.

If figured that since this is the basic training section we could hit on the lower levels also and make this not just 60+ oriented.
Just a thought, Id, help out with it but i had no clue on what i was gearing for and now im in a pinch. Figured its a good way to keep it from happening to others.
Meatydog

Postby Shamora » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:19 am

Really for lower level tanking you stack as much Stam as you can and some melee stats for some threat. Once you hit Outland you will want to pick up a decent spell damage weapon and some 'of the Champion' gear. The only way to become uncrittable at low levels is to waste money on enchants on gear that you'll more then likely replace pretty soon.

I'm of the mindset that the really low level places like SM or Ulda and such aren't gonna teach a tank how to tank at 70. Everyone doesn't have all of their tools/abilities by then. In my opinion the best way to learn how to tank is get to 70, grab some guildies, and go back and tank Ramparts and just work through the different instance as you get use to them and to general tanking. I'm not saying don't do the low level instances cause most of them are a ton of fun at the right level, but I wouldn't say that's the place to learn to tank.
Hearthstone Arena Stats
Server: PVP US Warsong, Horde - <Orbit>
Main: Keondra, Delver of the Vaults, Lvl 90 Assassination Rogue
Shamora

Postby Peryl » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:14 am

Shamora wrote:Really for lower level tanking you stack as much Stam as you can and some melee stats for some threat. Once you hit Outland you will want to pick up a decent spell damage weapon and some 'of the Champion' gear. The only way to become uncrittable at low levels is to waste money on enchants on gear that you'll more then likely replace pretty soon.

I'm of the mindset that the really low level places like SM or Ulda and such aren't gonna teach a tank how to tank at 70. Everyone doesn't have all of their tools/abilities by then. In my opinion the best way to learn how to tank is get to 70, grab some guildies, and go back and tank Ramparts and just work through the different instance as you get use to them and to general tanking. I'm not saying don't do the low level instances cause most of them are a ton of fun at the right level, but I wouldn't say that's the place to learn to tank.

For real low level stuff (SM or Ulda) doesn't even require a "real" tank. Ret paladin, any warrior, druid in bear form can do it, even if they don't have the correct talents. At that level, as mentioned above, you don't have many of the talents needed for tanking. Just strap on a shield and you a pretty much good to go.
Peryl
70 Tankadin
Muradin
Peryl

Postby ulushnar » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:21 am

When I levelled a Horde toon with some friends, a Shaman tanked everything up to Scholo for us. It's not worth worrying about defensive stats at low levels, since the only stuff you'll really see before the mid-to-late 50s is green "of defense" stuff.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Seloei » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:44 am

Before you hit the end bit of 50'sh in old world, the instance there don't even need a tank, just cc and dps. Being a tank there is good since it makes you sure you are taking less damage etc.

You should only start worrying about uncritable if you are starting heroics or raids. As soon as you are near the uncrit cap in normal heroics, you start going oom fast to the point where the healer is bored and starts dpsing.

Don't bother with uncritable before your 70, it's just tooooo much effort for almost no gain (well, there is one but there are like 2-3 low level groups moving per day)
Seloei

Postby Meatydog » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:12 pm

What about helping the lower levels get geared to when they are 70 they know what they are doing or at least have a decent amount of understanding for their class?

I wouldnt expect a lvl 40 to be uncrush or something stupid like that. Thats a 70s territory.

Just like general guidelines for someone wanting to be a tank during their lower levels. Like good armor, good places to run for armor, weapons, etc.

I didnt mean to go in depth like we do with the 70 stuff.
Meatydog

Postby Dorvan » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:47 pm

General pre-Outland guidelines: stack stam and int for tanking, throw in str for solo'ing.

If someone wants to put together a list of good pally loot while leveling: dungeon drops, quest rewards, etc... I'm sure it would be well received.

As far as technique...the existing guides apply pretty well to tanking leveling dungeons, just ignore any abilities that you don't have.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Nrre » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:04 pm

i can tell you, at lvl 24, +10 block rating is 6.5% block

Picked up a "of blocking" shield to go tank(even though i probably didn't need it). And noticed my block doubled on the Char screen.

Wish they made more low lvl blocking mail gear. Be fun to be lvl 25-30ish and have 50-80% block chance if you stacked Block Rating.
Nrre 70 UD Lock (Mal'Ganis) Main, +800 s.dmg or +200 resil (Work in Progress)
Errn ?? BE Pally (Mal'Ganis) Leveling
Richaheal 70 Dw Priest(Aggramar) Old Main, +1150 s.dmg, +420 resil 10.2khp or +1500 heal
Nrre 70 Hu Rogue(Aggramar)
Nrre

Postby Peryl » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:14 am

Meatydog wrote:What about helping the lower levels get geared to when they are 70 they know what they are doing or at least have a decent amount of understanding for their class?

I wouldnt expect a lvl 40 to be uncrush or something stupid like that. Thats a 70s territory.

Just like general guidelines for someone wanting to be a tank during their lower levels. Like good armor, good places to run for armor, weapons, etc.

I didnt mean to go in depth like we do with the 70 stuff.

I would just check the loot tables for the particular dungeon you are running. One handers, shields, any plate once you hit 40 are good. I wouldn't focus too much on it because you'll probably be replacing the gear pretty quick as you level up.
Peryl
70 Tankadin
Muradin
Peryl

Postby caboom » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:05 am

Reading alotta guides in these forums and not only and testing it ig when lvling a prot from lvl 10 with basically just tanking always(i've rarelly aoe'd since i just lvld duo with and affliction lock, and never alone, since i had him to help me) this is the gear pov of beeing just tank, and prolly my aproaches won't be as good with someone that just does aoe grind. It should work out in dungeons and whenever you'd be tanking something.

Weapons

weapon speed > stamina > anyother stats

There are very few or none at all pally usable spell dmg weapons before BRD's Arbiter blade( http://www.wowhead.com/?item=11784 ) so you will primarily focus on weapon speed as it helps with threat, since threat is the biggest problem at these lvls. Running SM would help you get a Knightly Longsword( http://www.wowhead.com/?item=864 ) witch for me was a bang that i used till BRD, as frankly there were no better swords that would just as good at those lvls.

Other easier note worthy weapons are :
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=9379(ZF drop)(a very good upgrade that i lvld past fast and couldn't get, must have if you didn't get a Knightly Longsword :P)
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=11086(ZF drop)(a side grade to the upper but worse than the Knightly Longsword i had back then)

Shields

Armor => defensive stats (defense rate, dodge, parry, block value/rate) => stamina

These are few item pieces you will be using with some sort of defensive stats, that i've noticed pre lvl 40, so any defensive stats are nice but not a must, u need raw armor to mitigate dmg, and stamina to take magic dmg and absorb whatever else your not mitigating, your avoidance(from defensive stats) can be overlooked at these lvls.

All Armor Pieces(besides cloacks)

Armor > Stamina > anyother stats

Armor for mitigating dmg and stamina to increase your survivability, the common trap here is when u get a piece of mail or plate with less armor and stamina but with some int on it, don't be fooled, 1st of all u get mana via Spiritual attunement trough heals, and you can always drink before and after pulls and boss fights, it's the armor and survivablity trough stamina that will keep you alive till that retri pally/enhancement shammy/feral drood/etc. healer will decide to wake up and drop some heals on you. If you happen to get a dedicated healer, his healing would most of the time cover up your lack of gear when in comes to mitigation and ur only problem then will remain threat.

Cloacks, Necklaces and Rings

Spell dmg > Stamina > anyother stats

This is the main and most of time only sources of spell dmg till outland when u get weapons and armor with decent ammounts of spell dmg, don't be afraid to trade out cloacks with spell dmg over those more warriorsih ones with stamina, the trade-off will pay out as threat is very important when your a lowbie because ur most of the time lacking the high lvl skills to generate a big amount of frontload threat(ex : Avenger Shield). The same thing applies to spell dmg neck/rings out of witch most have some stamina aswell. A catch here would be to also get those + healing items(more healing than spell dmg) if the ammount of spell dmg is superior to what you have(a good exemple would be : http://www.wowhead.com/?item=9641 with a massive ammount of stamina at that lvl and some spell dmg aswell)

Hope this helps and maybe someone could add the point of view of AOE grinding itemisation.
caboom

Return to Basic Training & Talents