Remove Advertisements

Maximizing Threat

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Maximizing Threat

Postby Gwert » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:45 pm

I have been tanking SP/UB no problem, but i am getting too high for them (65), so i decided to move up to MT and i am having a much harder time keeping aggro. I use a very basic threat rotation (its worked for me so far): Avengers Shield (sometimes), Seal of Righteousness, Consecrate, Holy Shield, Consecrate (final use), Holy Shield, Judgement....etc. Should i maybe be using a different seal, use Avengers Shield everytime, any suggestions are appreciated.

Gwert
Gwert

Re: Maximizing Threat

Postby Meatydog » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:06 pm

Gwert wrote:I have been tanking SP/UB no problem, but i am getting too high for them (65), so i decided to move up to MT and i am having a much harder time keeping aggro. I use a very basic threat rotation (its worked for me so far): Avengers Shield (sometimes), Seal of Righteousness, Consecrate, Holy Shield, Consecrate (final use), Holy Shield, Judgement....etc. Should i maybe be using a different seal, use Avengers Shield everytime, any suggestions are appreciated.

Gwert

Well... It sounds like a good rotation. But i think your using your HS too late.
What i normally do, is AS, garunteed alot of threat on 3 targets, then i bring up a seal(normally SoR, or SoL). Then after that i hit my HS since im farther ahead of the group to its a faster threat buildup, once they start hitting me i am still pulling back, and by that time my CD is done and i will hit consecrate only if i need it. I use consecrate as my back up threat maker. I dont like to downgrade my stuff so when i see people getting up to the threshhold of gaining aggro i slap a consecrate down, and it pulls em back down to about 100 instead of borderline 150.
I usually didnt have trouble holding aggro like that.
On bosses it was a little different cause halfway through people would start hitting like there was no tomorrow so im going all out and of course the geared out mages pull off me.

Just try some different setups on your rotations, on bosses i like Doing AS, the SoR, judge, HS, SoL/SoW, then SoV. And if needed i consecrate. But that setup i never really have a problem holding the mobs.
Meatydog

Postby Poin » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:55 am

You want to be kicking off that first Holy Shield as the mobs approach, so that you're never fighting with it down. So it's Avenger's - Holy + SoR on the approach - Consecrate once in range - Judge Right - SoR + HS + Consc etc.
Poin

Postby Meatydog » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Thats a good basic system, but some people like to use SoV. I love it on single mobs like bosses. Cause lots of times i get crist of 1500 or so with it. then its also taking the mob for 150 holy damage every 3 secs.

But when tanking mulitple its better to use SoR, if your helaer is sleeping judge SoL and then reseal it. It can save you until the healer gets done with their nap sometimes. Unless its a long nap.
And it will also help you dpsers if they are meleeing.

But try a few systems out see which works best for ya. Its always the best way to go.
Meatydog

Postby Seloei » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:41 am

The problem is, most mobs in mana tombs have a "oh i don't like you but say! that person just standing at the entrance of the instance looks nasty, i think i'l go and talk with him" tendency. Unless the dps was overtaking you on threat, you were doing it right.
You need to either CC or burn those first, or keep an eye on them.

usual threat rotation i used in instances :

Frisbee, hs, consec, judge (now in range), reseal

consec:judge/reseal rince repeat
and holy shield when i felt i needed more blocked attacks.
Seloei

Postby Worldie » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:19 am

Note, some mobs in mana tombs drop aggro. Don't think you are generating low threat, they just decide to ignore you.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Ashmadai » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:49 pm

Mana tombs is officially a pain in the ass honestly. Ethereal Scavengers randomly drop agro mid fight. There is another mob in there that intercepts people who stand too far away. Later on there is a rogue mob that will gouge you and go and smoke your healer/dps. That instance really annoys me with all those little things.
Ashmadai

Postby Gwert » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:54 pm

Ashmadai wrote:Mana tombs is officially a pain in the ass honestly. Ethereal Scavengers randomly drop agro mid fight. There is another mob in there that intercepts people who stand too far away. Later on there is a rogue mob that will gouge you and go and smoke your healer/dps. That instance really annoys me with all those little things.

Ya i ran it again last night, and was paying attention for that kind of stuff and sure enough, an insanely high amount of the mobs in there had threat dropping moves (gouge is a huge pain along with the mana burn mobs ><). Thanks for all the advice everyone. :)
I only ever pay attention if it's a raid boss, else I just faceroll all over the keyboard yelling "MOAR! GIEF MOAR MOBZ PLZORZ!" on vent. ~ Pizbit
Gwert

Return to Basic Training & Talents