Expertise and Hit Rating?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Expertise and Hit Rating?

Postby Barathorn » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:14 am

Ok, so I have read up about both on Wowwiki and I just cannot get my head around if and how Expertise and Hit Rating work together.

I have 2 characters I am hoping for advice upon,

Barathorn [Paladin Tank] who has 10 Expertise [2.5% less chance to be parried/dodged] and is aiming for 26 Expertise eventually and who has no +hit rating,

and

Veit [Arms Warrior 2H Weapon] who has 54 hit rating [needs 142 to not miss vs level 73 bosses] with 0 Expertise.

Am I correct in thinking that should I get expertise on Veit, each point will reduce his opponents dodge/parry by 0.25%?

In which case, does anyone know the direct correlation between hit rating and expertise if it does indeed stack? For example, if I have 54 hit rating and then get 5 Expertise, does that affect the 142 hit rating target I am aiming for because of the reduction or dodge/parry from my opponent? I know the 5 Expertise gives a 1.25% reduction but how does that affect the combat table for me to hit? Do I need less hit rating if I stack expertise?

Help?

Barathorn.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Re: Expertise and Hit Rating?

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:24 am

Barathorn wrote:Ok, so I have read up about both on Wowwiki and I just cannot get my head around if and how Expertise and Hit Rating work together.

I have 2 characters I am hoping for advice upon,

Barathorn [Paladin Tank] who has 10 Expertise [2.5% less chance to be parried/dodged] and is aiming for 26 Expertise eventually and who has no +hit rating,

and

Veit [Arms Warrior 2H Weapon] who has 54 hit rating [needs 142 to not miss vs level 73 bosses] with 0 Expertise.

Am I correct in thinking that should I get expertise on Veit, each point will reduce his opponents dodge/parry by 0.25%?

In which case, does anyone know the direct correlation between hit rating and expertise if it does indeed stack? For example, if I have 54 hit rating and then get 5 Expertise, does that affect the 142 hit rating target I am aiming for because of the reduction or dodge/parry from my opponent? I know the 5 Expertise gives a 1.25% reduction but how does that affect the combat table for me to hit? Do I need less hit rating if I stack expertise?

Help?

Barathorn.
The attack table for your outgoing attacks is similar to the one we use to remove crushing blows. Expertise reduces dodge/parry against an enemy like defense reduces crits against us. It's replaced by everything that is left on the table(glance, crit, crush, hit).
Hit rating effectively removes the Miss% component from the enemy's table.
And yes, you're correct thinking like that. 1 expertise = 0,5% more connecting attacks(from the front), or 0,25% more connecting attacks(from behind).Expertise and hit remove different stats from the table so in the end both increase your hit chance, they complement each other really well.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:36 am

Expertise rating is twice as effective as hit until the dodge soft cap is met if you're attacking from the front.

They're the same level in terms of effectiveness in increasing the chance of a swing connecting from a melee DPS point of view, since you'll be attacking from behind whenever it matters.
Levantine

Postby Barathorn » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:02 am

Ahh,

so I should be aiming for expertise as a threat stat on Barathorn as and when it comes along to reduce boss parries and dodges, hence more hits, and still be aiming for 142 hit rating on Veit to remove the miss chance and having expertise will reduce the amount my opponent can dodge [when attacked from behind] upto @ 6.5% which roughly equates to 26 Expertise.

Thanks people, I couldn't get my head round it, having a muppety day :)

Barathorn.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Khayne » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:44 pm

http://failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/ ... php?t=3678
is a thread about comparison between threat stats for us, so you can get more detailed info in that thread than i can post in this for barathorn.

and yes, get that expertise for Veit, the trinket from heroic MgT is awesome for instance. It´s really good for ret paladin, and i think Arms warrior will want it just as bad since 2H users need all swings to land that we can (which is All =).
Khayne

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:34 am

For Tanking
2 hit rating = 1 expertise rating ~= 1 spell damage (on single targets)

For Melee DPS
1 hit rating = 1 expertise rating
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Dorvan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:12 pm

*However*, for dual-wielding classes expertise is almost always better than hit rating, because dual-wielders are far betyond the 9% hit cap for specials, so hit rating affects only their white damage, while expertise affects both white and special damage.

For your Warrior the answer is: you want both.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Technically Expertise is the most valuable stat until it "caps" (dodge cap for dps, parry cap for tank, a lil hard but doable), and hit is as good as expertise once you are 'dodge capped'
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Return to Basic Training & Talents