On Walls and Consecrate

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

On Walls and Consecrate

Postby Shirak » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:26 am

I've seen this in both Kara and SSC. If I try to tank a boss with my back to the wall, they don't get hit with consecrate.

If I step out from the wall it hits them. I've seen this on Prince and the Siren on Karathress. My threat is very low till I step out from the wall and then it skyrockets up.

I'm guessing it may have some sort of evade bug or something about the wall that messes with it. The real kicker (literally) is that it means on bosses like prince, I can get punted around.

Since we've seen some newer prot pali's coming around thought I'd give this heads up.
Tuberon wrote:Tanking *is* crowd control.

You run into a crowd, and proceed to control it.
Shirak

Postby Lore » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:36 am

I haven't ever noticed this O_o
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:44 am

Lore wrote:I haven't ever noticed this O_o
Same. I hear horror stories of consecrate not ticking and always been wary of it on the combat log..but it's perfect so far.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Spectrum » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:26 am

I've never seen this, and I've tanked against a few walls. Then again, I might have missed it the few times it has happened.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:34 am

I see this a lot, running alts through SM. If the wall has a lip, or if the mob is rotated at an angle, sometimes they'll LoS cons. It's wierd. Taking a step out is sufficient to prevent it.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Shirak » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:52 am

Yeah, I notice it all the time on Prince. Thats why when I actually got to tank in SSC and I noticed my threat was pathetic, I stepped forward and Boom, the mages were very happy.

I never thought to look for little lips in the wall and such.

Shirak

Postby Arcand » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:19 pm

Shirak wrote:I never thought to look for little lips in the wall and such.

If someone doesn't make a Glory Hole joke soon, I may cancel my forum membership.
Arcand

Postby Ketsurui » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:33 pm

Interesting. I've told a hundred paladins that consecrate doesn't work on Prince because of a weird hit box or something inexplicable. This is very interesting, indeed.
Ketsurui

Postby moduspwnens » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:38 pm

Lore wrote:I haven't ever noticed this O_o

The first time I noticed this was a few days ago. I was in MC doin the weekly Garr solo and noticed the Surger I have to kill wasn't taking the Consecration ticks. That's the first time I've seen it, though.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:04 pm

Ketsurui wrote:Interesting. I've told a hundred paladins that consecrate doesn't work on Prince because of a weird hit box or something inexplicable. This is very interesting, indeed.

I use Eavesdrop which makes it easy to see if my consecrate it hitting. Prince is definitely picky and stepping off the wall does help. You just have to remember to step back out after a nova. I've not had the problem on anyone but him though, but I don't tank against a wall all that often.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Levantine » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:29 pm

Arcand wrote:
Shirak wrote:I never thought to look for little lips in the wall and such.

If someone doesn't make a Glory Hole joke soon, I may cancel my forum membership.

I don't know about you guys, but I've always been very wary of lips in walls, you just never know where they've been.

Terrible I know, but it's early, and I'm not awake yet.
Levantine

Postby QuantumDelta » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:03 am

Never had this problem and always have myself about as wall-nestled as possible x_X
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby Seloei » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:19 am

Noticed it when we were still fresh at "farming kara", but at that level paladin threat is so high on demons/undead that it's impossible to catch up even w.o. consecrate.
The reason i later noticed wasn't that i was "in the wall" but he was outside the range of it, just pull him to the wall, move a bit along the wall then go back to where he now is next to the wall. No consecrate missing at all.
Seloei

Postby Shirak » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:22 am

Seloei wrote:Noticed it when we were still fresh at "farming kara", but at that level paladin threat is so high on demons/undead that it's impossible to catch up even w.o. consecrate.

Then either you have massive spell damage or your DPS is lacking. If my consecrate isn't ticking I very quickly threat cap my DPS and they start whining. Off the wall I don't have an issue.

Shirak

Postby QuantumDelta » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:57 am

Actually if your DPS is rather well tuned (read: they're all good) they share out the threat potential of the boss quite a lot and they tend to die before bosses can be pulled off you xD
*Does still require reasonable-excellent TPS from you.
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Return to Basic Training & Talents