Remove Advertisements

Just a quickie regarding professions

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Just a quickie regarding professions

Postby Wrexsoul » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:10 am

Hai,

Quick one this time :p. Just curious to hear some other people's thoughts about the following: I'm currently at 375 Herbalism 375 Alchemy, but the other day I realized that I basically never herb stuff anyway - I mostly buy flowers on the AH and the only herbing I do is in 5-mans. So I figured, perhaps I should drop Herbalism for a second crafting profession! Except, I'm not sure which (not sure I want to make the switch at all since I'd prolly need Herbalism for WotLK again - what do you guys reckon?). My gear's at full badge/ZA level at the moment, and I'm in a BT guild so hopefully I'll soon get some nice stuff from there, so the only benefits we need to consider is stuff that's useful even at that point. At first I figured Jewelcrafting, since that Serpent Figurine thingy is kinda nice, and making my own imba epic gems would rock, plus Jewelcrafting is such a sick money-making profession I'd not mind having it instead of a gathering one. But I'm not sure, so any input would be appreciated! (Both as to if I should switch at all and if so, to what.)

Thanks!
Wrexsoul

Postby Shamora » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:50 am

I've got jewelcrafting on my shaman and I've never found it too be a great money maker, but it may differ on your server. Also I get plenty of money just doing the SSO dailies. If you are gonna drop herbalism then your gonna wanna do it for the BoP stuff and not money making. With an expansion peaking its head around the corner I'd hold off on switching unless you really want something from another profession. Who know what a profession will hold in the expansion and I'd imagine any new herbs in the expansion will fetch quite a price if your one of the first few to get them to the AH.
Hearthstone Arena Stats
Server: PVP US Warsong, Horde - <Orbit>
Main: Keondra, Delver of the Vaults, Lvl 90 Assassination Rogue
Shamora

Postby Base » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:12 am

I make a fair bit from JC - but it's less about cutting gems and more from prospecting ore bought from the AH.

I think that the JC trinkets are very nice, but they are not worth spending thousands of gold (which it may cost you to get to 375) to get a spelldamage trinket and a defence trinket that you could substitute for other things.
Base

Postby caboom » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:32 am

the good part about herbalism is that u can lvl it pretty quickly(did 300->375 last nite in ~1h and my server is of medium-high population) in case u'd need it again, i'd say drop any gathering profession at any time w/o a doubt if ur not gathering much and just buying stuff off AH.
caboom

Postby iwillpunishu » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:11 am

One day about 2 years ago in EPL, I had a horde rogue ninja a rich thorium mine off of me( this was back in the days when arcane crystals were the bomb), while I was fighting a mob so I decided I was going to follow him around and return the favor. He engages a mob over a mine I stroll over start mining, and bam he vanishes mob attacks me, he unstealths and proceeds to mine, and of course I get the spit and lol emotes.

The next day I proceeded to make my rogue. He is now 70 and is at 375 herbing and mining. He is most likely the biggest pussy of a rogue on our server, but damn he sure can pick an herb, it was one of the best decisions I ever made, he can stealth into caves and get into and out of alot places other toons cant ( Regular Slave Pens Ancient Lichen farming is a huge money maker.)

My suggestion would be too do that and pick up either Enchanting or Jewel crafting, Enchanting has made me alot of money, and the spell damage too rings, helps with itemization.
iwillpunishu

Postby Wrexsoul » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:37 am

Elthar wrote:I make a fair bit from JC - but it's less about cutting gems and more from prospecting ore bought from the AH.

I think that the JC trinkets are very nice, but they are not worth spending thousands of gold (which it may cost you to get to 375) to get a spelldamage trinket and a defence trinket that you could substitute for other things.

The main bonus from jewelcrafting would be the BoP epic gems, +18 sta and so on, which would rock since I spend a fortune on gems, and change sockets often, and have sockets almost everywhere. The trinket is just a nice bonus :P. And I can probably level it pretty cheaply, my girlfriend has two miners with epic flyers, and my druid has 250-ish mining as well.

Thanks for the input so far guys, keep 't coming!
Wrexsoul

Postby Shamora » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:40 am

Wrexsoul wrote:
Elthar wrote:I make a fair bit from JC - but it's less about cutting gems and more from prospecting ore bought from the AH.

The main bonus from jewelcrafting would be the BoP epic gems, +18 sta and so on, which would rock since I spend a fortune on gems, and change sockets often, and have sockets almost everywhere. The trinket is just a nice bonus :P. And I can probably level it pretty cheaply, my girlfriend has two miners with epic flyers, and my druid has 250-ish mining as well.

From about 250-300 is a bitch to level. Not as bad as when BC came out but still a major pain.
Hearthstone Arena Stats
Server: PVP US Warsong, Horde - <Orbit>
Main: Keondra, Delver of the Vaults, Lvl 90 Assassination Rogue
Shamora

Postby MichaelBerea » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:10 pm

I am trying to make a similar decision so I appreciate your question.

Engineering looks good based on current recipes. The Hard Khorium Goggles could last you until BT/MH are on farm if need be. There are also some slightly useful/fun extras like the mount. It is incredibly expensive/time-consuming to level though.

When WOTLK comes out, gathering and enchanting will obviously be rewarding. Engineering and Blacksmithing might be good as a fresh level 80; I wish I could be sure of that.

I am leaning towards dropping skinning and leveling engineering.
MichaelBerea

Re: Just a quickie regarding professions

Postby Peryl » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:13 am

Wrexsoul wrote:Hai,

Quick one this time :p. Just curious to hear some other people's thoughts about the following: I'm currently at 375 Herbalism 375 Alchemy, but the other day I realized that I basically never herb stuff anyway - I mostly buy flowers on the AH and the only herbing I do is in 5-mans. So I figured, perhaps I should drop Herbalism for a second crafting profession! Except, I'm not sure which (not sure I want to make the switch at all since I'd prolly need Herbalism for WotLK again - what do you guys reckon?). My gear's at full badge/ZA level at the moment, and I'm in a BT guild so hopefully I'll soon get some nice stuff from there, so the only benefits we need to consider is stuff that's useful even at that point. At first I figured Jewelcrafting, since that Serpent Figurine thingy is kinda nice, and making my own imba epic gems would rock, plus Jewelcrafting is such a sick money-making profession I'd not mind having it instead of a gathering one. But I'm not sure, so any input would be appreciated! (Both as to if I should switch at all and if so, to what.)

Thanks!

Depends on what level of gear you have, but Eng, JC, Enchantment all would be good.

Or you could wait until WoTLK and pick up Inscription right off the bat.
Peryl
70 Tankadin
Muradin
Peryl

Postby Lypianus » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:35 pm

Herbalism is good for rogues or druids, because they can stealth farm the good herbs in dungeons for $$. Got two stacks of ancient Lichen in less than 45 minutes last night in Underbog on my rogue. =)

The potion aspect of alchemy is less profitable than transmutes, and as such, buying flowers for what potions you do need is pretty cheapsauce anyway.

I do have the luxury of a 70 rogue herb/alch for my potion/elixir/xmute needs, but even if I didn't, I'd still have my pally on mining/JC which will switch to Eng/JC at 70. There's just more useful stuff for tankadins in the JC and Eng tradeskills.
Lypianus

Postby Tandors » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:47 pm

Currently I am a 375 Engineer and a 375 JC. Prospecting gives loads of cash but only by first putting alot of gold into buy 10+ stacks of adamantite ores. Prospect them all, sell the rare gems and make brilliant glass with the green ones. Or you can sell the green one for absurd amounts. Blood Garnets on my server can hit 7g a piece.

Engineering is nice for the helm and rocket launcher but at a point I don't think its worth it. I will probably drop it for alchemy soon. So my final opinion would be to go JC and keep Alchemy.
Tandors

Return to Basic Training & Talents