Remove Advertisements

0 / 46 / 15 with Imp SotC

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

0 / 46 / 15 with Imp SotC

Postby Ubung » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:19 am

I posted this on another thread but was unsure whether I was derailing the thread or whether I should have kept it in the other thread.

Basically I need a critique on this spec. Do you think its viable? I am tanking the beginning of 25 mans and ZA/Kara and I am the main tank.

Im currently using the cookie cutter spec with Imp SotC. I want to keep SotC as I never run with a ret pally even in 25 mans.

This is what I came up with so far:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhthx0dMgqtVcx0b

I was thinking of dropping 1 point in something to finish PoJ off but im not sure what to drop. My initial thought was Ardent Defender but id like to hear what people think.

The only thing I think I would miss would be imp judgement. I think I can deal with the threat loss as Im gonna put 2% threat on gloves instead of 10 Sta. Healers say I dont take much damage at the moment.

I think shield spec is one of the easier talents to lose.
nerf scissors, buff paper, rock is fine!

Ubung

Postby Hiroko » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:42 am

I wouldn't take imp sotc over shield spec, in fact I probably wouldn't take imp sotc at all.

It's not a buff for your threat in any major way (benefits just exorcism, holy wrath and JoR/JoV - 2 of which you can only use against undead) and is going to make you need to generate more threat to compensate for the extra crit you just gave your raid.

Besides, there are too many things for us to spend points on as it is.

2 points in PoJ isn't worth it - max it or skip it.
2 points is only 1% faster than an enchant and 3 stamina.

I do like full PoJ though - benefits in quite a few fights for the extra speed throughout SSC and TK and for ZA chest runs, and the spell resist helps if you tank Hydross.

I'd move your imp sotc to shield spec and drop 1 point from anticipation or BoK for 3/3 PoJ.

Lots of aoe tanking parts to do in SSC and TK and shield spec can reduce a good amount of incoming damage - even if it's just for murloc tanking at Morogrim.
Hiroko

Postby Ubung » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:53 am

The Imp SotC is not to increase my threat but to help the raid. Im miles ahead on threat against our DPS so im not too worried by that.

PoJ I definately wanted to increase to 3 and the major reason I posted this topic. I just dont know where to get the extra point from. I cant lose kings or 1 point out of anticpation because I need those to get to the higher talent levels in prot.

This has pretty much left me with losing a point out of Ardent Defender, 1 handed weapon spec or combat expertise. Im not willing to give up imp HS or my captain america shield.

Thanks for your reply ;)

Ubung

Postby Yadard » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:00 am

Why not drop Kings for the extra on PoJ if you want it?

I've been running without Kings for a while now, and I rarely miss it at all.

Sworn: We do bad things to bad people.

Yadard - 70 - Moonglade
Yadard

Postby Hiroko » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:10 am

Was thinking that too, but he can't.

If he doesn't take shield spec then he needs all the points up to and including Spell Warding and BoSanc to have enough points in the tree to open up the higher talents :/

5/5 redoubt
5/5 toughness
3/3 precision
1/1 BoK
5/5 anticipation
3/3 RF
2/2 spell warding
1/1 BoSanc

= the 25 points need to open up 1h spec and sacred duty

if determined to have 3/3 sotc and 3/3 PoJ then I guess your best option is to lose the 1 point in Ardent Defender.

I'd much rather lose a point from there than one from 1h spec or combat expertise.

Alternatively you could just go with 2/3 imp sotc?
Last edited by Hiroko on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hiroko

Postby Ubung » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:11 am

Why not drop Kings for the extra on PoJ if you want it?

I've been running without Kings for a while now, and I rarely miss it at all.

I did seriously think about this and it was my first option for dropping but unfortunately to select the top level talents you gotta spend so many points in prot. With the build I linked I cant lose anything below the one handed weapon spec level. :S

I'd much rather lose a point from there than one from 1h spec or combat expertise.

Im inclined to agree with you here, losing the point in 1h weapon spec would put me futher behind on threat when ive already spent points in Imp SotC. Weapon expertise really is the best skill weve had in ages so Im loathe to lose anything in that.

EDIT: Ok definately between losing 1 point in Imp SotC, ardent defender or just going with:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhtGx0dMgqtVcx

and getting boars speed on boots!

Hmm something to think about, thanks for your points of view guys.
Last edited by Ubung on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ubung

Postby Yadard » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:15 am

Sorry, not thinking straight.

:oops:

I'd say drop a point from AD then, if you want Shield Ping & 3/3 Imp. Crusader

Sworn: We do bad things to bad people.

Yadard - 70 - Moonglade
Yadard

Return to Basic Training & Talents