Itching to try a 0/40/21 Threat spec.

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby moduspwnens » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:36 am

Snake-Aes wrote:>:) Tell that to worldi. The loss of AD is the only difference between that and sanctity spec. You can pull some crazy numbers indeed, and if you hunger for threat, that's the way.

Well, I've posted my thoughts on Sanctity Aura specs here:
http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... c&start=48

Anyway, when you personally spec into it, you lose not JUST Ardent Defender, but also Avenger's Shield, Shield Specialization, and Devotion Aura (since you'll be using Sanctity). You also have only three points in Reckoning. I make the argument that it's better offered by a Ret Paladin (through you being placed in the melee group for high-threat encounters) in its Improved Form, or by a Holy Paladin simply giving up (raid-wise) Divine Illumination.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Worldie » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:01 am

modus, i think you are the only one who menaged to get a holy paladin speccing 40-0-21. literally.

looks like all the holy paladins would rather /wrist than losing divine illumination
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Angella » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:03 am

Worldie wrote:modus, i think you are the only one who menaged to get a holy paladin speccing 40-0-21. literally.

looks like all the holy paladins would rather /wrist than losing divine illumination

Well would you? 10% more holy dps for a party (not raid) versus ridiculous mana efficiency every 2 minutes.
Angella

Postby Worldie » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:07 am

I would if our "prot paladin" asked to. Well, problem is that *i* am our prot paladin.

But if i was holy, and our main tank asked for that, i'd gladly specced into it. Helping the raid > being selfish. But most people still fail at understanding this...
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby moduspwnens » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:16 am

Worldie wrote:modus, i think you are the only one who menaged to get a holy paladin speccing 40-0-21. literally.

No, I haven't. I actually have a Ret Paladin in my guild, and we swap me into the melee group for fights where I need threat (Gurtogg and Gorefiend come to mind). Whether Holy Paladins like slightly (and it is slightly) gimping their overall mana consumption or not, I think it's a very strong argument that the raid benefits much more from having a Holy Paladin spec into it than a Prot Paladin.

If you can't get a Holy Paladin to do it, I think it'd be similar to a DPS Warrior not offering Thunderclap, or a Hunter not keeping up Scorpid Sting. Warriors don't like dumping their rage every 30 seconds, and Hunters don't like to drop 9% of their base mana and a GCD every 20 seconds. The fact of the matter is, the benefits to the raid are worth the cost to that individual member.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Lowgrus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:05 am

Just go this spec seriously just omg i love it. Its threat is good in all situations and sometimes its just not feasable having the holy paladin in your group. I mean sometimes they need mana I mean when your first attempting illidari council/bloodboil or kazragol I always moved all the healers into shadowpriest groups and stuff.

You dont have to rely on holy paladins for it for 5 mans/ZA/kara. When your doing your timed runs in ZA you dont want threat capped dpsers. I have everyone flask and such. They all love the spec and I dont notice much of a difference in damage done to me. I hate the idea of not having shield specialization and I really should have specced into improved devo for when I'm not maintanking boss, but I dont know just I have this thought in my mind that on illidan My GCD/lag will mess up my rotation which more than likely wont happen and redoubt will save me. Plus I dont know redoubt can definitly save you from a crushing at times. like on gruul and stuff I dont know. I dont know.

But i do hate not having shield speccialation but reckoning is just better.
freaking warlocks.

YOu guys all serioulsy need to go this spec. Also more threat means its ezier to change gear around as well.

I'm never going back.

Plus I got to use it as my excuse for why I wanted to tank illidan... " I dont have spell warding so I think you guys should do it" haha I hate flames.
Lowgrus

Postby Worldie » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:39 am

You shouldn't, flames are funny to tank :)

There's a alternative to the standard 40-21, take redoubt instead of imp devo and shield spec instead of precision. That's what i'm using nowadays since shield spec looks cool for felmyst :)

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Jellypop » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:27 pm

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZV0tIx0dMGRxVfx0bcz

?

some in AD allowing SOME flexability during hyjal trash when other tanks are AFK

still achieveing SA, and have all the core talents.
Jellypop

Postby Psykewne » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:32 am

i kinda feel AD is an all or nothing talent, it won't give you enough reduction when you drop to low health unless you fully talent it really. I guess the thing is, looking at all the threads about Ad to piece together how much of a crutch it is for your guild at the moment as that seems to be the biggest overall loss as everything else as far as mitigation goes is attainable with a creative talent build.

You're also going to be dependant on how many abombs you usually take in hyjal as it's their kd spikes that AD can really save you on.

Once you get past the AD factor then it really is all about avenger's shield vs sanctity aura in my eyes. I love this spec, i really do, i guess my biggest question is, how to convince my healers that AD is not quite as big a saving grace as they seem to think it is as they all cried at the thought of me losing it.
Celestial Defender Psykewne, Death's Demise - Talnivarr EU
Psykewne

Postby Jellypop » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:44 pm

i still regularly tank atleast 3 aboms, usually 4. on the 6 abom waves.

AD and Commendation really saves, so does nightmare seed, pocketwatch, and pots.
Jellypop

Postby link » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:47 am

I'm using this spec since my guild first felmyst kill. But this wk attempt on it heals seems to be really weak and i died a couple times. One of the healer inspected me and was all hysterical that i didn't have AD when right frm the beginning of our first felmyst kill i didnt have it.

goodbye 0/40/21 :cry:
link

Postby Worldie » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:29 am

Did you tell him that AD is completely worthless on 10k hits rite

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby link » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:54 am

ya but i was just tankin the skellies only.
link

Postby Worldie » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:55 pm

Did you tell him that dying while tanking skeletons that hit for barely 800 each is big healing failure right

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby moduspwnens » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:08 pm

Worldie wrote:Did you tell him that dying while tanking skeletons that hit for barely 800 each is big healing failure right

It's like tanking Hyjal trash except no stuns or casters, and they don't stop to shoot spiders at you.
I rule.
moduspwnens

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents