Remove Advertisements

Making threat in a 25 man situation

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Making threat in a 25 man situation

Postby Finch » Thu May 29, 2008 5:21 pm

I leveled my Paladin as Retri, then went to Holy the day I hit 70 and have been raiding as a healer since. It's been fun and all but it gets a bit boring at times just tapping Q or E to heal someone you know.

My guild recently lost it's Prot Paladin as he wanted to join his old guild and I asked if I could have a go at taking his spot. A few runs through BT and I was funneled gear here and there, as well as the gear I got from cheeky Kara badge runs and badge gear.

So far I think I have done ok, but I want to push myself harder and do a lot better. The old prot paladin, to say the least was amazing. He played his spec well. My TPS is incredibly low compared to the warriors and druids, which can be a bit worrying if the target I am tanking is quite high up on the kill list.

Currently. I am AvShield'ing the target, dropping a consecrate, Holy Shield, judging crusader and then keeping up Righteousness. Repeat. Warriors seem to get around 1000 TPS and druids much the same, I am really low compared to them. Granted it's my first week or so in a Prot position, but I wouldn't mind the TPS being higher.

Here's my gear. A few bits are on their way out, and as of writing (1am 30th may) my shoulders have no gems as I haven't been given them from the guild bank ;x ... but what can I do to push my TPS higher, or is there so much I can do and still not match the TPS of my warrior and druid counterparts?

I did a run through Kara, I know it's a completely different scale between BT and Sunwell (I am the PallyTank for Felmyst's skellies) and keeping threat on bosses was pretty well done on my part, maybe a bit sketchy on Maiden due to silences, but on the hole pretty good. So maybe it's just practice practice practice?

Any and all criticism is appreciated, even as much as shifting points around. I've been fiddling with different specs trying to find one that suits me.
Finch

Postby Stilgarr » Fri May 30, 2008 1:19 am

I'm no where near SWP or anything but would a cheeky Holy Wrath and Exo not increase your threat if the skellies are undead ?

I know they work really well in KZ and MH but past that I dont know.
Stilgarr

Postby Seloei » Fri May 30, 2008 1:55 am

Holy wrath has a 2 second cast time and you are open to spell pushback. Also there are only a select few trash in bt who are undead, and only the trash before reaching akama has demons. The rest are humanoids/beasts.

As for the OP. The only thing that increases your threat is getting into a solid rotation.
If your target is not first kill. Shield toss (if appliable, should be anyway) judge crusader, consec (if appliable, look for sheeps first), seal right/judge, holy shield. Rince repeat : judge/seal, consec, holy shield (until you have a decent lead)
If your target is first kill. Shield toss, pop wings when his in melee range, judge righteou, consec, reseal, holyshield. Rince repeat : judge/seal, consec, holy shield

The only other way to increase your TPS is with gear and consumables (+42 oil, 23 food, 80 flask, 10 crackelf flowers). Also practice makes perfect and don't be afraid to taunt a healer/dps if they overagro.

Oh err... ZA runs are quite good "tests" also if you can manage threat on a fast kill target. Also if your warrior/druids are t6 geared its obvious you wont have as high threat as them.
Seloei

Postby Seloei » Fri May 30, 2008 2:02 am

Just looked up your armory and you have more than enough SD and gear to be pushing close to the warrior's, not as much as them but close enough.

Swap the enchant on gloves from 20 SD -> 2% threat, more bang for the buck
Swap the enchant on wrists from 12 defense -> 15 SD, your short of threat right not surviability?
Drop the block value trinket, either a spelldamage one or stamina, block value helps squat in bt only RoS p1 maybe. (41 BoJ one is easy to get if nothing else).
Swap the enchant on the shield from 18 block value to 18 stamina

Also, can't be bothered to do the calcs, but from what i can see you are already past 72.4% without holy shield, consider getting another libram (20 BoJ one, the one from hellfire marks or the one from heroic seth)

Anything else is practice makes perfect.

Oh and err... all of the "gear advice" is already in the stickies around here and the gear forum. The "max threat" one has good advice
Seloei

Postby Finch » Fri May 30, 2008 2:38 am

Seloei wrote:Holy wrath has a 2 second cast time and you are open to spell pushback. Also there are only a select few trash in bt who are undead, and only the trash before reaching akama has demons. The rest are humanoids/beasts.

As for the OP. The only thing that increases your threat is getting into a solid rotation.
If your target is not first kill. Shield toss (if appliable, should be anyway) judge crusader, consec (if appliable, look for sheeps first), seal right/judge, holy shield. Rince repeat : judge/seal, consec, holy shield (until you have a decent lead)
If your target is first kill. Shield toss, pop wings when his in melee range, judge righteou, consec, reseal, holyshield. Rince repeat : judge/seal, consec, holy shield

The only other way to increase your TPS is with gear and consumables (+42 oil, 23 food, 80 flask, 10 crackelf flowers). Also practice makes perfect and don't be afraid to taunt a healer/dps if they overagro.

Oh err... ZA runs are quite good "tests" also if you can manage threat on a fast kill target. Also if your warrior/druids are t6 geared its obvious you wont have as high threat as them.

Threat on Skells is fine, I am stood on a barrel with my two paladin healers spamming with RF on and I pick them up from there. It's just single mobbing which I am getting used to.

I was a little weary last night to shield my target, just in case it went a bit wrong and I pulled too many onto me. Unfortunately I am speccing Holy for Illidan and Kalecgos, so I won't be able to give a cheeky go with that strat until I respec for Felmyst and the rest! I am using the 80 SD flask and slightly different consumables here and there. Will change them slightly. I wasn't really prepared for last nights raid!

Yeah the mor experienced tanks have slightly better gear than me, hoping for Illidan Hat/Sheild on Sunday though!

Seloei wrote:Just looked up your armory and you have more than enough SD and gear to be pushing close to the warrior's, not as much as them but close enough.

Swap the enchant on gloves from 20 SD -> 2% threat, more bang for the buck
Swap the enchant on wrists from 12 defense -> 15 SD, your short of threat right not surviability?
Drop the block value trinket, either a spelldamage one or stamina, block value helps squat in bt only RoS p1 maybe. (41 BoJ one is easy to get if nothing else).
Swap the enchant on the shield from 18 block value to 18 stamina

Also, can't be bothered to do the calcs, but from what i can see you are already past 72.4% without holy shield, consider getting another libram (20 BoJ one, the one from hellfire marks or the one from heroic seth)

Anything else is practice makes perfect.

Oh and err... all of the "gear advice" is already in the stickies around here and the gear forum. The "max threat" one has good advice

I am at work so I can't remember how much avoidance I have pre-HS .. but with it up I am 3% over the mark. I generally use the Sethekk Libram for AoE tanking. Thank you for the enchant advice too! I shall sort that out, later too! For the trinket, farming for the Vengeance card, I'll check the badge trinkets later.

Thanks for the good advice, it's helped :)
Finch

Return to Basic Training & Talents