Defense and Mitigation, how it all works.

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby Lorath » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:11 am

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.htm ... 6995&sid=1

I couldn't copy'n'paste the whole thing since it's still WIP, but go check it out. Alot of work went into this amazing thread.
Lorath, Human 80 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.kingsandaces.eu
Lorath

Postby Livyan » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:22 pm

The Greenhorn supports this post!
Two thumbs up, Zoe's got stuff figured out for us, HORAAH!
Livyan

Postby honorshammer » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:44 pm

Is this right?

Warriors do not have to worry about Crushing Blow and Regular Hit. As long as Shield Block is up, Crushing Blow and Regular Hit cannot happen. Their main priority is to get their Defense Skill up to 490. If they have the Anticipation talent, then this requires 288 Defense Rating. Additional Block chance is useless, as it falls of the table.
honorshammer

Postby Vanifae » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:06 pm

Honorshammer wrote:Is this right?

Warriors do not have to worry about Crushing Blow and Regular Hit. As long as Shield Block is up, Crushing Blow and Regular Hit cannot happen. Their main priority is to get their Defense Skill up to 490. If they have the Anticipation talent, then this requires 288 Defense Rating. Additional Block chance is useless, as it falls of the table.

This is true.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Dreamcrusher » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:28 pm

In response to that...

Paladins can also achieve the same state, replacing Shield Block with Holy Shield.

We just have to devote more item points to it.
<3
Dreamcrusher

Postby honorshammer » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:35 pm

Dreamcrusher wrote:In response to that...

Paladins can also achieve the same state, replacing Shield Block with Holy Shield.

We just have to devote more item points to it.

But those items points come out of Stamina.
Last edited by honorshammer on Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
honorshammer

Postby Dreamcrusher » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:40 pm

I know this, trust me.

Having less available item points to spend on Stamina is a direct result of what I said. :P
<3
Dreamcrusher

Postby honorshammer » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:42 pm

That's my problem.

I will never have as much of HP pool as a Warrior, and they still have better OH NO! buttons.

So are we better choices in any way to Warriors? Or is it going to be "Hey, Honors, thanks so much for tanking the 5 mans to get our keys. Our Warriors had a blast DPSing. But you've got your healer gear on for tonight's Kara run, right?"
honorshammer

Postby Vanifae » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:26 pm

Honorshammer wrote:That's my problem.

I will never have as much of HP pool as a Warrior, and they still have better OH NO! buttons.

So are we better choices in any way to Warriors? Or is it going to be "Hey, Honors, thanks so much for tanking the 5 mans to get our keys. Our Warriors had a blast DPSing. But you've got your healer gear on for tonight's Kara run, right?"

It's an ongoing saga, you can tank Kara, but you will always have less HP then warriors, it all comes down to raid composition and what have you.

All is not lost but the batte is not easy.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby QuantumDelta » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:29 pm

We're far better anti-crush especially after the patch once crush immunity is established, we're also more in control of our encounters in terms of threat and add management, we can additionally insanely increase our TPS (AW) if the case arises.

Ultimately you will need gear to be competitive as all tanks do, as vanifae said, it's not a lost battle, most of what you will face is overcoming misconceptions and community mentality.
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby Lore » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:20 pm

As we are currently I can't in good conscience put a paladin tank over a similarly geared Druid tank or even a slightly worse geared Warrior tank. Hopefully, 2.1 will give us a lot less damage intake due to better crushing blow mitigation. However, I'm not quite convinced that it'll be enough less damage intake to make a Paladin tank worthwhile. I'll have to try it out =\
Lore
Global Mod

Return to Basic Training & Talents