Blessing of Sanc

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Blessing of Sanc

Postby Ethos » Wed May 28, 2008 7:33 pm

When better geared, and stacking SBV is this worth it? was it ever worth it?

I mainly use it when im in oldschool instances ( Zg, MC, AQ) but i really cant notice the difference for when i have this on , and kings.

Does it stack with sbv?
Ethos

Postby Moses » Wed May 28, 2008 11:30 pm

I think it has it applications. Pretty much any time that are getting hit by a LOT of mobs at once it is your friend. It also generates threat which is nice.

Most the time kings is my choice, although if I ever go to a non heroic to help someone out I'll go BoSanc since I usually pull about 4 packs at once.

*edit- been a while since I checked this (I'm sure it's in a sticky somewhere) but if I recall BoSanc reduces the damage by 80 (max rank) before armor/block is taken into account, somewhat reducing it's efficiency. After BoSanc Armor should reduce damage and whatever the result of that is can be reduced further by a block (therefore SBV). Like I said I might be wrong.
Moses

Postby jere » Thu May 29, 2008 5:19 am

Moses wrote:
*edit- been a while since I checked this (I'm sure it's in a sticky somewhere) but if I recall BoSanc reduces the damage by 80 (max rank) before armor/block is taken into account, somewhat reducing it's efficiency. After BoSanc Armor should reduce damage and whatever the result of that is can be reduced further by a block (therefore SBV). Like I said I might be wrong.

BoSanc is modified by both AC and Imp. RF. At 12000 AC it reduces melee dmg by 37ish, and at the armor cap, 35880 AC, it redueces melee dmg by 18ish (all assuming 3/3 imp. RF)
Last edited by jere on Thu May 29, 2008 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
jere

Postby Ethos » Thu May 29, 2008 5:20 am

thankyou both, exactly what i was looking for.
Ethos

Postby Elza » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:37 pm

I also find use for it when I'm raiding and we have 3 or 4 pallies
Elza

Postby Lookit » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:55 am

I use it for the threat more than for survivability. I typically always prefer Kings and (usually) Wisdom before it though, so since I mostly do 5 and 10-man content (and therefore only have access to 1 or 2 blessings) it's pretty rare that I have it.
Lookit

Postby ulushnar » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:56 am

I'll usually shove it on me when I'm doing salvation since I'll have other pallies in the raid taking care of wisdom, kings and light.

In 10-mans I still use it since it's a threat boost.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Spectrum » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:09 am

It doesn't scale, so it's still quite good in normal 5-mans, but loses value as the size of the hits go up. It's a lot like Block Value in that respect. So, if BV is still useful to you, BoSanc probably is.

Basically I use it whenever Effective Health is not an issue for the additional threat and mitigation. I use Kings when I really need EH/Avoidance.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:13 pm

Spectrum wrote:It doesn't scale, so it's still quite good in normal 5-mans, but loses value as the size of the hits go up. It's a lot like Block Value in that respect. So, if BV is still useful to you, BoSanc probably is.

Basically I use it whenever Effective Health is not an issue for the additional threat and mitigation. I use Kings when I really need EH/Avoidance.

Well, I wouldn't compare it to BV. It's true that BV doesn't scale, but Sanctuary actually does scale, it scales backwards. The more armor you get the less damage it reduces. Block Value always removes a fixed amount and its scaling is based on the mob, as opposed to your gear.

If you don't need the health from kings, use sanctuary for the threat component. In a raid if you have enough blessings you can use it to, but it's probably the one of the lowest priority buffs for you.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Worldie » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:09 pm

To be even more honest, BV does scale with armor value, the more armor you got, the more effective BV is.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Spectrum » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:29 am

Oh, you're both correct.

I guess what I meant to say is that it doesn't scales negatively with the size of the hits you're taking. In 5 mans when a mob hits for 800 it will prevent 10% of the damage pre-blocking. Against a boss that hits for 8000 it will only prevent 1% of the damage pre-blocking.

So yeah, it scales negatively with the strength of the mobs and with your gear.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby jere » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:00 am

Fridmarr wrote:
Spectrum wrote:It doesn't scale, so it's still quite good in normal 5-mans, but loses value as the size of the hits go up. It's a lot like Block Value in that respect. So, if BV is still useful to you, BoSanc probably is.

Well, I wouldn't compare it to BV. It's true that BV doesn't scale, but Sanctuary actually does scale, it scales backwards. The more armor you get the less damage it reduces. Block Value always removes a fixed amount and its scaling is based on the mob, as opposed to your gear.

If you don't need the health from kings, use sanctuary for the threat component. In a raid if you have enough blessings you can use it to, but it's probably the one of the lowest priority buffs for you.

Here is something funny to wrap your head around:

The more armor you have, the less damage per hit that it reduces. However, it's %DR versus what that armor would have done by itself will remain constant as long as the incoming unmitigated hit is constant in both comparisons. A long while back I did some math on this and even posted a thread:

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... php?t=1399

In it I provided a spread sheet:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... mXLDZ0N2XA

If you take a look at the last column, it is the DR multiplier for BoSanc. Notice that as long as the hit stays constant, BoSanc will provide the same amount of mulitplicative DR for any AC value. So while the per hit decreases with AC, the relative effect of that decrease stays constant with respect to the DR of the AC alone.

However, this multiplier does scale with boss dmg (decreases in effect as incoming dmg increases) and it is very small to begin with (less than a percent).

As a reference,

For a 10k unmitigated hit, BoSanc provided a 0.80% DR for all AC values
For a 15k unmitigated hit, BoSanc provided a 0.53% DR for all AC values
For a 18k unmitigated hit, BoSanc provided a 0.44% DR for all AC values
For a 20k unmitigated hit, BoSanc provided a 0.40% DR for all AC values

EDIT1: One other funny thing to note from my spread sheet. For a giving constant incoming unmitigated damage, BoSanc provided increasing amounts of "effective AC" as your AC increased.

EDIT2: For my own notes, the equation for determining the amount of "effective extra armor" that BoSanc provides is

Code: Select all
80(AC+11960)
------------ = AC_delta
(dmg_um-80)

Last edited by jere on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jere

Postby majorwoo » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:42 am

wow, awesome. I've been doing a lot of BoSanc/BoK experimenting and SoV/SoR and this was a huge help.
Despite all my rage, I am still just a Paladin Tank.
majorwoo

Postby Retsah » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:07 pm

Wait. Am I reading this right (Relative n00b here)? BoK should be used over BoS in Raids if you can only have one?
Retsah

Postby jere » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:44 pm

Retsah wrote:Wait. Am I reading this right (Relative n00b here)? BoK should be used over BoS in Raids if you can only have one?

Depends on the fight honestly.

Morogrim murlocs - BoSanc is fine.
Morogrim Tidewalker - BoK

In general I tend to side on BoK for most things, as I care about how hard they hit, but in certain AoE situations, I will swap to BoSanc as needed.
jere

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents