5-Main Talent Spec: Where to Spend Remaining 5 Points

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

5-Main Talent Spec: Where to Spend Remaining 5 Points

Postby Dryan » Wed May 28, 2008 1:49 pm

I've been using an AoE talent build while leveling and now need to start giving thought as to a build for 5-man instances (regular moving quickly to heroics). I've read through the stickies and still cannot decide on how to spend 5 points.

The remaining (56) points are spent 0/46/10: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhxIx0zMgqtV0x

Most of the posts seem applicable to Kara and beyond so I'm curious as to what I need for pre-Kara instance running. My guess is that threat is more of an issue with less experienced players. And it also seems like adding some of my own DPS is worthwhile in 5-mans more so than 10- and 25-mans.

With that said, it seems like the remaining 5 points can be spent in Reckoning, Spell Warding, Improved Judgment and/or Pursuit of Justice. I'm thinking that throwing them all into Reckoning might make sense. It builds threat, adds to DPS, and will probably help with rep grinding more than the others.

Your feedback is appreciated.
Dryan

Postby dmok » Wed May 28, 2008 2:06 pm

If you are only planning on running 5 mans with this spec, I suggest you throw your last 5 points into:

1 - Kings. Being a 5man, you are likely the only pally. Kings is awesome
3 - Reckoning. No need to put 5 in here. There's a graph somewhere that shows reckoning uptime. 3/5 is close to 5/5, and frees up some more talent points
1 - Imp Judgement. more threat is always good
dmok

Postby Dryan » Wed May 28, 2008 2:17 pm

Thanks. I expect that I will re-spec once I get geared up for Kara so my focus right now is on an ideal spec for 5-mans.

I bypassed Blessing of Kings simply because I figured that I'd be using Salvation more often than not on others, and Sanctuary on myself. But I certainly appreciate the significance of BoK.

Didn't know about reckoning so that's great info on saving a couple points right there.

Again, thanks for the input.
Dryan

Postby Caelus » Thu May 29, 2008 12:20 am

For 5man I would either:

1 BoK
4 Reck

or

5 Reck

Threat gen is a bummer in 5mans if you need to pour mana, increasing downtime alot. And without a good healer and good gear yourself you cannot do crazy pulls. Reckoning helps you conserve mana alot while maintaining adequate threat gen. Like you say BoK is usually less useful in 5 Man and most of the time u'd be using Sanct for extra threat anyway.

As opposed to the earlier post suggesting 1 point in imp. judgement, to be honest the 1second reduction is negligible threat, and judge-reseal is a big big mana hog.
Caelus

Postby Aloette » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:05 am

I wouldn't bother with improved judgement for 5 mans. It's a pointless talent for trash, as you will generally be only judging each target once anyways (how often are mobs alive for more 10s anyways?)

It's a talent that pushes your TPS to the max in a raid scenario. It does little for 5 mans.

Personally, I would drop 1 point from anticipation (so long as you maintain 485 def) -- giving you 6 points. 2 in spell warding, 1 in Kings, and 3 in reckoning. If you don't want to give up 1 in anticipation, just go with 5 in reckoning. It helps with soloing as well, so it's not all that bad.
Aloette

Return to Basic Training & Talents