Remove Advertisements

help with the perfect "OT" spec

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

help with the perfect "OT" spec

Postby steadypal » Mon May 26, 2008 12:16 pm

what would be the best spec out there for AE trash tanking, or add tanking etc..... any help thanks
steadypal

Postby Extremity » Mon May 26, 2008 12:29 pm

Umm well what do you mean by OT? Do you mean the ability to tank but also DPS/heal when not tanking? Do you mean the ability to put out a lot of threat without taking much damage? Saying "oh hey i wanna ot" isn't saying much. If you just mean tanking for trash and stuff then... you would probably want a normal tanking build
Extremity

Postby steadypal » Mon May 26, 2008 12:40 pm

Extremity wrote:Umm well what do you mean by OT? Do you mean the ability to tank but also DPS/heal when not tanking? Do you mean the ability to put out a lot of threat without taking much damage? Saying "oh hey i wanna ot" isn't saying much. If you just mean tanking for trash and stuff then... you would probably want a normal tanking build

oh sorry

OT as in, never going to tank real bosses in BT and mt H, besides taking hurtfuls from supremus... i either tank AOE trash, OR heal on other fights.... or take the adds on trash pulls or boss fights etc....

so i want to maximize tps... i looked in the sticky and it suggested 12/49/0... it would do more tps yes, but if needed, not having 5% parry i would get crushed if i ever did have to tank a boss. so idk...

right now i am the standard tank spec.... was told i could possibly drop the toughness talent for 5/5 recklessness etc...
steadypal

Postby dmok » Mon May 26, 2008 1:07 pm

sounds like (from your last post) you want a spec that will let you OT/heal *and* MT if needed to step up. You can't have both. Take the 12/49/0 build if you are going to OT/heal, and respec if you are called upon for MT tanking duties.
dmok

Postby Levantine » Mon May 26, 2008 8:41 pm

Why the crap would you spec 12 points into Holy again, dmok?
Levantine

Postby sweeney » Mon May 26, 2008 11:12 pm

I feel like the breakpoints for Holy doing much useful for raid healing are 20 points (Illumination really changes how you gear for healing) or 33ish (reduced HL casttime). Neither of those are really reachable with a tanking spec.

12/x/x is trying to add threat with Imp Righteousness; the problem there is that Righteousness isn't particularly useful for AOE tanking (it'd be the bomb if we had Whirlwind, maybe :) ) so the marginal threat gain it gives is reduced even further.

20/41/0 misses Ardent Defender, a talent I still find pretty useful when AOE tanking (especially, oh man especially on mobs that stun). Your mileage may vary, of course, and some people have had luck with it. Others like a Sanctity Aura build which does generate pretty strong threat, again at the cost of survivability.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby dmok » Tue May 27, 2008 7:24 am

Levantine wrote:Why the crap would you spec 12 points into Holy again, dmok?

Someone mentioned a holy/prot OT build above that would increase their viability as a healer when not needed to OT adds and the like. I wasn't sure how viable that was, but if they were thinking it would make them a better healer when not needed to tank then I dont know ...
dmok

Postby Morpheren » Tue May 27, 2008 8:14 am

dmok wrote:
Levantine wrote:Why the crap would you spec 12 points into Holy again, dmok?

Someone mentioned a holy/prot OT build above that would increase their viability as a healer when not needed to OT adds and the like. I wasn't sure how viable that was, but if they were thinking it would make them a better healer when not needed to tank then I dont know ...

12 points isn't really going to give you anything entirely useful. just spec either 0/49/12 or 0/40/21 (best threat spec) and get decent healing gear and spam FoL.
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.
Chef Koriel, Guild Master of Fury Untold on Sen'jin
Morpheren

Postby dmok » Tue May 27, 2008 8:37 am

I'm not pretending to know alot about healing as a tankadin, so I was merely going by his suggestion (hell, my tankadin is only 65 atm). I think I am still trying to wrap my head around wanting to specifically find an OT spec ... isn't that what feral druids are for? (their dps in the same spec as tanking is significantly higher than anything we can manage, let alone sustain ..)
dmok

Postby Morpheren » Tue May 27, 2008 10:08 am

dmok wrote:I'm not pretending to know alot about healing as a tankadin, so I was merely going by his suggestion (hell, my tankadin is only 65 atm). I think I am still trying to wrap my head around wanting to specifically find an OT spec ... isn't that what feral druids are for? (their dps in the same spec as tanking is significantly higher than anything we can manage, let alone sustain ..)

Pretty much yes. Druids make the best OT's, followed closely by warriors, and paladins bring up the FAR rear.

Trying to mix a threat/Ot spec and a off heals spec isn't going to work. Your first 10 points into holy are going to be to pick up Divine Int (in heal gear is decent) and imp SoR (useless for healing). You'd do much better to go something like this spec. Even with this spec you'd still be a viable MT, particularly on farm content.
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.
Chef Koriel, Guild Master of Fury Untold on Sen'jin
Morpheren

Return to Basic Training & Talents