Remove Advertisements

Quick Question about crits

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Quick Question about crits

Postby antiy4ho0 » Sun May 25, 2008 2:13 pm

If you are uncrushable, but below 490 defense are you still uncrittable with Holy Shield up?
antiy4ho0

Postby Ashmadai » Sun May 25, 2008 2:56 pm

Yes, but anybody here will tell you that you want to be over 490 defense anyway so you don't get a crit in between refreshing holy shield. Really, you should be hitting 490 defense before you hit uncrushable. If you're not, get some more gear with defense rating. Or use +defense to cloak and chest enchants. It's very easy.
Ashmadai

Postby Seloei » Sun May 25, 2008 4:38 pm

It's easy to get uncritable+uncrushable, but with working with only badge gear there comes a point where it is a nightmare :P
But for your question, it seems so, but don't risk it. Do you have a <100 ms latency connection 100% times and are your reflexes THAT fast that you can recast it in a blink? If not then you will most probably have a few HS downtimes and if very badly timed can let a mob hit you and if you then get crited, your deadmeat (probably)
Seloei

Postby killgannon » Mon May 26, 2008 3:37 am

Yeah, you definitely don't want to rely on holy shield for uncrittability. Think about situations where you can't recast holy shield; such as stuns and the like.
killgannon
uther
killgannon

Postby mazater » Mon May 26, 2008 4:26 am

Since when did Holy shield start effecting your uncrittable status?

As far as I know, only Resilience and Defence rating help you to be uncrittable, not holy shield or superawesome amount of block.

But then again, I might've missed some new information...
mazater

Postby ulushnar » Mon May 26, 2008 4:32 am

Mazater wrote:Since when did Holy shield start effecting your uncrittable status?

If you're uncrushable you're also uncrittable, since crits get pushed off the combat table before crushes. It's always been that way.

That said, there's four good reasons not to rely on holy shield to be uncrittable.

1. Holy Shield is unreliable. Sometimes you'll lag, sometimes a fast boss or AoE adds will eat through your sheild.
2. All mobs, not just most bosses, can crit.
3. A Crit is 200% damage, not 150%. That 7.5k crush is bad, but a 10k crit is worse.
4. Gearing for passive crit immunity is easy compared to gearing for uncrushability.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon May 26, 2008 4:34 am

Mazater wrote:Since when did Holy shield start effecting your uncrittable status?

As far as I know, only Resilience and Defence rating help you to be uncrittable, not holy shield or superawesome amount of block.

The same mechanic for uncrushability also works for crits, they are inbetween block and crush if I remember correctly. Being uncrushable means you're also uncritable.

Of course, relying on uncrush for uncrit means stuff behind you crits you. Stunned = critted, latency = critted, annoying mother-in-law = critted.... It's just easier to get 490 defense =P
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby antiy4ho0 » Mon May 26, 2008 6:11 pm

Yeah my problem was with 2.4 badge boots over 2.3 I lost some defense. It put me at 487 which was enough to not be critted by 72s but a problem on a boss. A trinket swap puts me over 490 which is what I've ended up doing. I figured it seemed kind of irresponsible to risk being critted. A crush hurts but if one or 2 slip through we can recover with a pot/healthstone + healers on the ball. A crit might just be too much to recover from.
antiy4ho0

Postby agamemnoch » Wed May 28, 2008 8:44 am

If your gear has any resil, you can safely drop below 490 defense and still maintain uncrit based on how much resilience you have. I have some from my glyph and my PVP mace
Armory Link Above
agamemnoch

Postby jere » Wed May 28, 2008 8:47 am

Snake-Aes wrote:annoying mother-in-law = critted.

I would like to point out that there is no known stat that reduces/prevents this. You just have to eat it and hope you don't die.
jere

Postby Lookit » Wed May 28, 2008 9:09 am

antiy4ho0 wrote:Yeah my problem was with 2.4 badge boots over 2.3 I lost some defense. It put me at 487 which was enough to not be critted by 72s but a problem on a boss. A trinket swap puts me over 490 which is what I've ended up doing. I figured it seemed kind of irresponsible to risk being critted. A crush hurts but if one or 2 slip through we can recover with a pot/healthstone + healers on the ball. A crit might just be too much to recover from.

That's one of the big reasons most pallies avoid the 2.4 boots. I found the 2.3 boots to be much more desirable, even if they are a slightly lower iLevel.

I don't know what chest piece you are rocking, but I went with the 2.4 warrior chest. No spell damage, but insane avoidance. The 51 def rating lets me pretty much swap around max-stam and max-threat gear all I want without worrying about falling below 490 def.
Lookit

Postby Lore » Wed May 28, 2008 9:24 am

I wouldn't worry TOO much about being at 487 defense, honestly. Like everyone said, crits are worse than crushes, but with a 0.12% chance to be crit (compared to a 15% chance to be crushed), it is highly unlikely that you'll see that happen in that rare event where you don't have HS up. It's also worth noting that most of the stuns and such (which is where uncrittability is most important) only come from trash mobs or adds, which are very rarely any higher than level 72.

Should you make 490 defense a priority? Definitely, but if you have to seriously downgrade your gear to make up that 3 defense skill, it's probably not worth it.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby antiy4ho0 » Wed May 28, 2008 2:25 pm

Like I said its just a trinket swap. Pocket watch to one of the early tanking trinkets, I think it might be Dabiris enigma? And I like the 2.4 boots because of the Shield Block rating. With the 2.3 boots I would of had to regem half my gear to use The Violet Signet and the 60 badge ring which was a pretty big health boost. Before I was using Andormu's tear and another blue with 24 stam.
antiy4ho0

Postby Caelus » Thu May 29, 2008 8:54 am

You apparently don't know much then.

--
As Lore suggested, it really doesn't matter "too" much if you're just a nab under. Most likely you won't see it occur like he said. But that doesn't mean you should ignore the situation though, you should aim to fill in that tiny hole in the future.
Caelus

Postby Candiru » Sat May 31, 2008 12:58 am

Remember you gain 10 def rating from a Flask of Fortification! http://www.wowhead.com/?item=22851

That can often tip you over from critable to uncritable. I know I need one up for the illidan flames.
Candiru

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents