Remove Advertisements

Seal of Wisdom

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Seal of Wisdom

Postby Zibey » Sun May 25, 2008 7:49 am

Hello there.
I am unsure if my question was covered somewhere else, but I was looking for an answer on the forums, and I couldnt find it.
Anyway - lately, thanks to Maintankadin forum I started to use SoW while tanking big groups of trash which i believe helps me a bit with manapots costs. Tho this thought came into my mind - do I by any chance generate more aggro on the mobs that are glued to me by doing that? As far as Im concerned spriests VT makes aggro from restoring mana, so maybe our Seal has similar effect? If so - is it by any chance "holy spell" that is affected by RF?
I am fairly new to tanking as paladin, so would appreciate some understanding if my questions appear to be dumb.
Gniev - The Maelstrom EU
Zibey

Postby Worldie » Sun May 25, 2008 8:26 am

Yes SoW and JoW do generate threat. About 1.9 threat per 2 mana gained. The point is that this threat is divided by the number of mobs of which you are in threat list.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Zibey » Sun May 25, 2008 10:02 am

Not much of an aggro boost then. Thank you for reply anyway.
Gniev - The Maelstrom EU
Zibey

Postby juggi » Tue May 27, 2008 7:52 am

Who do the penguins go see when they need advice? Why the Seal of Wisdom of course.
juggi

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue May 27, 2008 8:06 am

juggi wrote:Who do the penguins go see when they need advice? Why the Seal of Wisdom of course.
That's such an AWFUL pun XD I like it.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Base » Tue May 27, 2008 8:10 am

juggi wrote:Who do the penguins go see when they need advice? Why the Seal of Wisdom of course.

ROFL!!
Base

Postby Asterix » Wed May 28, 2008 6:35 am

If you use seal of wisdom instead of rightousness you'll definitely have a decrease in amount of threat outputted. Instead why don't you swap some of your mitigation gear for threat gear. You will put out more threat, take in more damage, and thus regen more mana because you're being hurt more. If your only goal is to save mana pot costs this would probably be a more useful way of doing it. Especially if switching to seal of wisdom will hold back the dps from killing your mobs as fast.
Asterix

Postby sweeney » Wed May 28, 2008 6:44 am

On the other hand, sometimes having extra threat on X out of Y mobs, where X is the number you frantically tabbed through with Righteousness on, is not that useful. You're either producing enough aggro to keep the AOE'rs alive or you aren't. :)

SoW/JoW/Reckoning aren't producing a ton of threat from power gain, but as was said above, at least it's divided equally. But yeah, if you're tanking a big group that's being focus fired, obviously you do want extra threat on your primary target.

For stuff like Kara where we're just flying through trash, I usually JoR/SoR the first few mobs, eventually try to get JoW/SoR on a "middle" mob just as it starts being hit hard, then do JoW/SoW on the last one just because I'm plenty ahead on threat.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby Zibey » Fri May 30, 2008 11:22 am

Asterix wrote:If you use seal of wisdom instead of rightousness you'll definitely have a decrease in amount of threat outputted. Instead why don't you swap some of your mitigation gear for threat gear. You will put out more threat, take in more damage, and thus regen more mana because you're being hurt more. If your only goal is to save mana pot costs this would probably be a more useful way of doing it. Especially if switching to seal of wisdom will hold back the dps from killing your mobs as fast.

Why would i care bout few thousands more threat on single mob, while Im tanking 15? They dont hit me hard enough and that's not exactly that bad - healers have bit time to fix those silly clothies in no-stam sets ^^. Im talking bout 2 pure prot pally situations - solarian adds, and murlocks... Using SoR doesnt change anything there, tho using SoW can - it's like 1k mana more left after each quake/change of phases. Tho i might be wrong, and It does matter somewhere else...
Gniev - The Maelstrom EU
Zibey

Postby Narcil » Fri May 30, 2008 1:39 pm

2-3 points in Reckoning + Seal of Wisdom can equal a nice mana return, and a little extra AOE threat when AOE tanking Kara/SSC/Hyjal trash
Narcil

Postby Davram » Fri May 30, 2008 6:55 pm

Well I use SoW/Jow on a healthy target and when I get 2 proc's that's another lower rank Concecrate. After the initial aggro I find that if the aggro is fretty good I start using this just to hold them. As the group picks them off I find that the low ranking saves mana and the threat on the latter targets is so high it's a win/win.
Davram

Postby Meatydog » Sat May 31, 2008 11:51 pm

This really isnt about threat. But about SoW and SoL.
When you judge either of them, do they affect the other melee in your group?
Meatydog

Postby Fivelives » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:39 am

JoW and JoL proc on all attacks, so yes it affects the entire raid.
Fivelives

Postby moduspwnens » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:03 pm

Fivelives wrote:JoW and JoL proc on all attacks, so yes it affects the entire raid.

When you judge Seal of Light, it only affects melee.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Return to Basic Training & Talents