Remove Advertisements

when anticipation is no longer needed

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

when anticipation is no longer needed

Postby Melathys » Fri May 23, 2008 7:32 am

So, I specced holy for arena, and noticed that in my current gear, if I switch pocket watch with scarab, I don't need anticipation.

I recently dropped pursuit of justice for 3/5 reckoning (figured I'm usually begging to take more dmg in the content my guild does anyway, so a parry haste is a good thing, not to mention threat boost)

So. what can be done with the extra 5 talent points.

With all the talk about armor, how's improved devo aura?

or maybe go with spell warding/pursuit of justice?
Melathys

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri May 23, 2008 7:37 am

Anticipation saves up too many points for me >.< While I see it doable in T5 content, you can't really spare the points in T6.
Personally I use PoJ over spell warding. for one extra point, I have 3% "spell dodge" + 15% speed. Plus said "spell dodge" works against anything, not just damage.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Re: when anticipation is no longer needed

Postby Morpheren » Fri May 23, 2008 7:47 am

Melathys wrote:So, I specced holy for arena, and noticed that in my current gear, if I switch pocket watch with scarab, I don't need anticipation.

I recently dropped pursuit of justice for 3/5 reckoning (figured I'm usually begging to take more dmg in the content my guild does anyway, so a parry haste is a good thing, not to mention threat boost)

So. what can be done with the extra 5 talent points.

With all the talk about armor, how's improved devo aura?

or maybe go with spell warding/pursuit of justice?

anticipation also gives you a good chunk of pure avoidance, i dont know i'f you've calculated that (or need it) but its still a small chunk of pure dmg recuction i dont think i'll give up. (i'm kinda in the same boat you are)
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.
Chef Koriel, Guild Master of Fury Untold on Sen'jin
Morpheren

Postby moduspwnens » Fri May 23, 2008 8:47 am

Defense doesn't only negate crits, it's a lot of avoidance! It's also worth mentioning that Anticipation isn't defense rating, it's defense SKILL. So, since 2.36 Defense Rating = 1 Defense Skill, that's 47.2 Defense rating, which, ilevel-wise is about as valuable as a pretty good trinket.

I'm in Sunwell, and I don't plan to drop it ever. Improved Devo aura is terrible, spell warding is only situationally useful, and Pursuit of Justice is likewise. I don't know a better place to put those points than in Anticipation.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby guillex » Fri May 23, 2008 8:49 am

I wouldn't want to give up free avoidance that I wouldn't have to put somewhere else through gear...

It's always useful for those fights that require you to have more avoidance than mitigation or EH.

Even for arena, that's points that you can use for something else.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Fridmarr » Fri May 23, 2008 9:03 am

Snake-Aes wrote:Anticipation saves up too many points for me >.< While I see it doable in T5 content, you can't really spare the points in T6.
Personally I use PoJ over spell warding. for one extra point, I have 3% "spell dodge" + 15% speed. Plus said "spell dodge" works against anything, not just damage.

Actually PoJ doesn't work against anything, a rather large percentage of spell damage in PVE encounters is not "dodgeable"
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Splug » Fri May 23, 2008 9:49 am

moduspwnens wrote:Defense doesn't only negate crits, it's a lot of avoidance! It's also worth mentioning that Anticipation isn't defense rating, it's defense SKILL. So, since 2.36 Defense Rating = 1 Defense Skill, that's 47.2 Defense rating, which, ilevel-wise is about as valuable as a pretty good trinket.
Damage reduction: it's the law.

(Also, wear a seat belt.)

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Gabbath » Mon May 26, 2008 4:52 pm

but if you are over 500D with your gear (like I am) isn't it a waste of points?

I thought anticipation was there just to help us get to 490 when our gear didn't get us there.
Gabbath

Postby Worldie » Mon May 26, 2008 5:35 pm

20 defense, it's like a huge chunk of dodge parry and miss.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon May 26, 2008 5:47 pm

I have 538 def in my default tanking set.

You can have my Anticipation when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Stroja » Mon May 26, 2008 6:06 pm

I've run without it, and I've run with it. Those 5 points go a hell of a long way - if you're to the point that you have an overkill of avoidance, change out gear for more stamina or threat and keep anticipation.
Stroja

Postby Lore » Mon May 26, 2008 7:00 pm

Anticipation is worth 0.8 Miss, Dodge, and Parry, for a total of 2.4% raw avoidance. Point-for-point it's only about half as effective as Deflection. Still though, it's a healthy chunk of avoidance.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Sarkan-ZdC » Wed May 28, 2008 8:13 am

Lore wrote:Anticipation is worth 0.8 Miss, Dodge, and Parry, for a total of 2.4% raw avoidance. Point-for-point it's only about half as effective as Deflection. Still though, it's a healthy chunk of avoidance.

In the WotlK Alpha Wiki (I have NO clue how reliable it is.. probably about as reliable as fake patch notes :roll:)

Anyhow, in this wiki the +20 Def Talent for Warriors is changed to +5% Dodge.

Then it will be point for point the same stuff. And as I'm way above Def Min (it is NOT A CAP) of 490, I would welcome the change.
Sarkan-ZdC

Postby Aleph » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:11 pm

Fridmarr wrote:Actually PoJ doesn't work against anything, a rather large percentage of spell damage in PVE encounters is not "dodgeable"

This is the first time I have seen this claim - could you link me to any other threads or forums where this is discussed in more detail? Thanks! You really do learn something new almost every day here.
Aleph

Postby Worldie » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:13 pm

It's true that the most dangerous part of the magic damage is usually unresistable.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents