Why did this happen?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby Kelaan » Sat May 24, 2008 9:51 am

Well done!
Kelaan

Postby guillex » Sat May 24, 2008 10:09 am

Just a couple of things ... +4 weapon damage is no good, even though I realise that it's a cheap enchant.

It's also a healing weapon, which I understand ... seeing as SD weapons are hard to come by ... The Sedai's Blade from the Makuru's Vengeance quest from Telhamat in HFP is a good SD weapon ...

Other than that, you're looking at the Diamond Core Sledgemace or Spellfire Longsword, the latter being from Mennu the Betrayer in SP.

All this to say that our threat comes from spelldamage, and not from weapon damage. :)
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Murdin » Sun May 25, 2008 10:45 am

lol thanks Guillex,

I know that we're SD based when it comes to threat. That little enchant is just me skilling up my less than stellar enchanting skill. Rest Assured if I were to obtain the spellfire longsword or mace I would enchant it according to get more SD out of it.

funny enough I just got that Sedei's sword and replaced my mace with it just last night:P
Murdin

Postby DracoTB » Mon May 26, 2008 10:32 pm

Kaelie wrote:You can hit Nazan with Avenger's Shield while he's still flying, actually, makes picking him up when he lands really easy. I usually pop him before Vazruden even hops off, and he comes for me every time.

That's good to know. Work in heroic as well?
DracoTB

Postby Kaelie » Mon May 26, 2008 11:04 pm

I haven't run it in a bit, can't be 100% sure, but I'd assume so. He's not removed from the fight, he's just out of melee range, you can probably grab an early MD too.
Kaelie

Postby Malthorn » Tue May 27, 2008 2:10 am

I ran in to quite some problems with this one on my first run as well. Besides the great tips on gear and strafing when he does his flame burst thing there is one other important thing.

Be wary of taking a group with 3 or 4 lvl 59 people in there. It seems that lately a lot of people are suddenly on that level and don't really know how to play for some reasons. In the last three days I've seen hunters who can't feign death, rogues who can't sap and mages who can't sheep.

Get a group with some lvl 61 and lvl 62 and you'll quite easily dps him down before your healer runs out of mana. Bring a lower lvl group and your healer will be out of mana before you get him half way.
Malthorn

Re: Why did this happen?

Postby juggi » Tue May 27, 2008 7:51 am

Murdin wrote:Hey guys,

I recently hit 61 on my tankadin. He is my main and really one and only real toon. As a result, I started going to outland recently. Tonight I had the opportunity to tank Ramparts. This was my first time in the place and everything went smoothly, I held agro well, the heals kept me mana'd up and only had one death due to agro being pulled off of me against Omar. That is until we got to the final boss. As soon as his dragon dropped down I would run over and engage it. I would grab agro and then I would proceed to drop dead shortly thereafter which lead to not one, but three wipes before everyone decided I sucked and it wasn't going to get done.

Really put a damper on my spirits there as that was probably the most fun I'd had in WoW in quite some time(until the multiple wipes of course). I'm hoping it's something with my gear and not me just actually being a terrible tank. So here is my Armory, please tell me what I can improve if anything. Thank you in advance

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mug%
27thol&n=Murdin

Healer sucked, that's always the answer ~).
juggi

Postby Jobalq » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:47 am

juggi wrote:
Murdin wrote:Hey guys,

I recently hit 61 on my tankadin. He is my main and really one and only real toon. As a result, I started going to outland recently. Tonight I had the opportunity to tank Ramparts. This was my first time in the place and everything went smoothly, I held agro well, the heals kept me mana'd up and only had one death due to agro being pulled off of me against Omar. That is until we got to the final boss. As soon as his dragon dropped down I would run over and engage it. I would grab agro and then I would proceed to drop dead shortly thereafter which lead to not one, but three wipes before everyone decided I sucked and it wasn't going to get done.

Really put a damper on my spirits there as that was probably the most fun I'd had in WoW in quite some time(until the multiple wipes of course). I'm hoping it's something with my gear and not me just actually being a terrible tank. So here is my Armory, please tell me what I can improve if anything. Thank you in advance

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mug%
27thol&n=Murdin

Healer sucked, that's always the answer ~).

Tanking is a responsibility, healing is a job. DPS is a game.

If the tank dies, it"s the healer"s fault.
If the healer dies, it"s the tank"s fault.
If anyone else dies, it"s their own damn fault
"Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword". - Joanadark.
Jobalq

Postby Kelaan » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:06 am

Malthorn wrote:Be wary of ... lvl 59 people.... In the last three days I've seen hunters who can't feign death, rogues who can't sap and mages who can't sheep.

I was going to scoff at this, but there's some merit. If you go to outlands at 59 (or even poorly geared 60? :)), mobs hit HARD. Every fight requires tricks, or at least it seemed that way on my warrior and paladin. I'd blow a bubble and bandage fighting pigs - PIGS! (I exaggerate.) The difficulty ramps up significantly, though I'm not quite sure how that would cause a poor player to suddenly learn instance skills. :-)
Kelaan

Postby Caelus » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:13 am

Jobalq wrote:
Tanking is a responsibility, healing is a job. DPS is a game.

If the tank dies, it"s the healer"s fault.
If the healer dies, it"s the tank"s fault.
If anyone else dies, it"s their own damn fault

The only true statement is:
If anyone dies, it's their own damn fault. Healers and Tanks included.

EDIT: To those that try to say "What if the healer is retarded?" Then you are also retarded to have a retard heal you. So yes, it is your own damn fault.
Caelus

Postby Arcand » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:01 pm

You may have run out of range of the healer. If he's standing way back on the bridge out of fear of the dragon, and you suddenly rush the dragon and eat that initial burst, it can be hard for him to get caught up.

If it's a priest, encourage him to get out to the middle of the platform and hit Fade as the dragon lands. Hit the dragon in the mouth with Avenger's Shield, get him pointed the right way, and move (either in circles or steadily backing up, depending what kind of DPS you've got) so you don't stand in a fire. Should go well.

/warstory

That burst used to be much worse; he'd land with flame breath and fire spit cooled down, and would hit you with them one-two as soon as his feet hit the ground. That was unpleasant.
Arcand

Postby Jobalq » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:48 pm

When the Dragon is on the air the key word here is MOVE to avoid the fire that he throws from the sky that can kill a clothie really easy.

Your group must not be at the bridge when the Dragon lands. You may not be able to avoid the cone of fire at the bridge.

Move to the plattform while you position the Dragon with his back facing your group.

Both you and the healer must be on the game to avoid range issues.
"Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword". - Joanadark.
Jobalq

Postby DracoTB » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:17 pm

DracoTB wrote:
Kaelie wrote:You can hit Nazan with Avenger's Shield while he's still flying, actually, makes picking him up when he lands really easy. I usually pop him before Vazruden even hops off, and he comes for me every time.

That's good to know. Work in heroic as well?

Yeah, seems to work in heroic as well. Did Ramps the other day and as the dude got off I threw AS at them. Didn't even think I had hit Nazzan but he came straight for me when he landed and not the healer so I figure I must've.
DracoTB

Postby Trieth » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:22 am

My mains a hunter, have an alt tankadin which is why I hang around here. Misdirect works on Nazan. I usually MD him in the air and when it comes time for him to land he goes straight for the tank.

Back to the OP's post though the fights all about mobility, you need to keep moving the bosses whilst you tank them all the time. I also found out the hard way and got flamed when he landed the first time I tanked it. A bit careless of me seeing as I'd run it lots of time on my hunter. But then when you're dpsing you dont pay much attention to the tank as long as he's alive and above you on the threat metre.
Trieth

Postby Dendrah » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:48 am

First... We're talking lvl 61... MD is like lvl 70 skill?

What I do is this:
I go very easy on treat on the initial 2 guys. No frisbee.
Seal judge conc seal and switch target after 7-8 sec should do the trick.
When the rider comes down he gets a judge on his head followed by conc, seal. Maybe a second judge if needed.
When the warning for the dragon comes I switch my aura and forget about teh rider (almost dead and enough treat lead anyway)
I toss my frisbee at the dragon and run in.
Each time I see the fire patch under my feet I go a bit left or right or backwards. You can even walk forwards since his hitbox is big and the fire patch is small.

His health is not to high so this is basicly a finger in the nose fight if you avoid the fire.
Dendrah

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents